Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 May 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3824929)   #1226
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Are you sure you followed the link?
May be you're right but I dont know anyone here who could remember when the last time he could watch three Maserati's 250 racing the same day. In France, its not a grid, its a miracle…
Old 27 May 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3824961)   #1227
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Are you sure you followed the link?
May be you're right but I dont know anyone here who could remember when the last time he could watch three Maserati's 250 racing the same day. In France, its not a grid, its a miracle…
Found it, nice picture of some proper cars with the engine in right place.

Merci,

Bauble
Old 28 May 2018, 07:12 (Ref:3825150)   #1228
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Me and Alan had nice evening and Diner in Macon . We are now racing along back to pick up Delta truck from Zolder . Question for someone , I want to go to Anderstorp from Riga and then on to Karlskoga . Trying to look at Alan Morgan’s 2004 map 🙃. Looks like the two tracks are only about 150 miles apart . I’ve not booked any ferry’s back yet so was wondering if anyone fancies working out a route for me . Many thanks Iain
Old 28 May 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3825160)   #1229
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Me and Alan had nice evening and Diner in Macon . We are now racing along back to pick up Delta truck from Zolder . Question for someone , I want to go to Anderstorp from Riga and then on to Karlskoga . Trying to look at Alan Morgan’s 2004 map ��. Looks like the two tracks are only about 150 miles apart . I’ve not booked any ferry’s back yet so was wondering if anyone fancies working out a route for me . Many thanks Iain

Google says there's a ferry from Ventspils to Sweden - lands a little way south of Stockholm. Then you up around some sort of fjord or islands beforejust missing out on Stockhlm and heading south to Anderstorp.

I can't set the map to truck so have no idea if there are any restrictions but the journey from Riga (centre presumably, not looked for a circuit) suggests about 2.5 hours to the ferry.

12+ hours on the ferry.

Then about 5 hours to Anderstorp (town)

Anderstorp (town) NORTH to Karlskoga (town) is about 290kms which Google estimated about 3.5 hours. I assume that's for a car.

If you are coming straight back from Karlskoga a ferry from Gothenberg might be an option. Otherwise it's a long drive down through Denmark or across into Norway and maybe a ferry from there somewhere. Bergen?
Old 28 May 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3825161)   #1230
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks GP. Guess I will see how things pan out .
Old 28 May 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3825171)   #1231
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks GP. Guess I will see how things pan out .

Looks like there is a second ferry option from Riga to Stockholm

https://www.directferries.co.uk/ferr..._to_sweden.htm

Riga direct operates 7 times a week.

The first one I mentioned previously has 12 sailings.

For distance in Sweden, Karlskoga then Anderstorp would be better, especially if you decide to return overland via Denmark. However I appreciate that may not be an option!

I'm now out for a few hours but I'll check for messages later.
Old 28 May 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3825236)   #1232
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Looks like there is a second ferry option from Riga to Stockholm

https://www.directferries.co.uk/ferr..._to_sweden.htm

Riga direct operates 7 times a week.

The first one I mentioned previously has 12 sailings.

For distance in Sweden, Karlskoga then Anderstorp would be better, especially if you decide to return overland via Denmark. However I appreciate that may not be an option!

I'm now out for a few hours but I'll check for messages later.
I drove through Denmark into Sweden (and back again) a few years ago. I found it to be the most boring journey I'd ever had! (Plus, we stopped for bacon sandwiches which were also very disappointing!)
Old 28 May 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3825250)   #1233
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I drove through Denmark into Sweden (and back again) a few years ago. I found it to be the most boring journey I'd ever had! (Plus, we stopped for bacon sandwiches which were also very disappointing!)

Bacon sandwiches in Denmark or Sweden?

If Denmark the disappointment would be huge - though I find that the Danish bacon one buys in the UK supermarkets these days seems to have a very high water content.

That's not necessarily a comment restricted to Danish bacon, sadly.
Old 28 May 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3825251)   #1234
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

If Denmark the disappointment would be huge - though I find that the Danish bacon one buys in the UK supermarkets these days seems to have a very high water content.

Is bacon even allowed in Sweden these days?
Old 28 May 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3825260)   #1235
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Iain, coming home you can either use same route as Copenhagen Historic (Hanko - Rostock IIRC) or maybe Gothenburg to Frederikshaven and then drive down the length of Denmark etc.
Old 28 May 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3825261)   #1236
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Is bacon even allowed in Sweden these days?

Probably only in certain places and then only if it has agreed to be allowed.
Old 28 May 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3825302)   #1237
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably only in certain places and then only if it has agreed to be allowed.
Guys, you can certainly have bacon in Sweden (and it probably originates from Denmark), but bacon sandwiches are not that common. As for Denmark, that country is heaven for those who like sandwiches (open sandwiches with a minimum of bread and a maximum of good stuff, including bacon, on top). Look for "Smörrebröd" or "Handmadder" and eat them with a good Danish lager.
Old 28 May 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3825324)   #1238
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Back at Zolder and staying the night here . Me and Alan then split up as he heads back to the UK and I start long journey up to Kiel to catch ferry Wednesday evening to Lithuania .
Old 29 May 2018, 04:47 (Ref:3825379)   #1239
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
And if proof was needed, an empty paddock at Zolder as the sun rises this morning....
Attached Thumbnails
zolder.JPG  
Old 29 May 2018, 07:11 (Ref:3825386)   #1240
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

The bacon sandwiches were in Denmark hence the disappointment. (Others from that trip were that all the place names in Denmark weren't double underlined in red, and that Sweden wasn't completely populated by long legged blonde women!)
Old 29 May 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3825410)   #1241
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sweden wasn't completely populated by long legged blonde women!
Finland has (or used to have!) its share.......

And as for bacon from Denmark, it virtually destroyed the pig farming industry in this country at one point. Fortunately, the increasing popularity of ‘free range’ and ‘locally produced’ pork has since adjusted the market to the benefit of the U.K. supply chain.
Old 29 May 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3825414)   #1242
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Finland has (or used to have!) its share.......

And as for bacon from Denmark, it virtually destroyed the pig farming industry in this country at one point. Fortunately, the increasing popularity of ‘free range’ and ‘locally produced’ pork has since adjusted the market to the benefit of the U.K. supply chain.

Perhaps that explains why Finnish men so often seem to struggle to put a sentence together!
Old 29 May 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3825445)   #1243
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Perhaps that explains why Finnish men so often seem to struggle to put a sentence together!
There was a different reason for that, in the past.. I learned a lot about the country's history from Ari V when recci-ing the 1000 Lakes Rally in 1989 with him and Bruno. Interesting people and culture- one of my favourite countries of those that have spent any time in....
Old 29 May 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3825447)   #1244
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There was a different reason for that, in the past.. I learned a lot about the country's history from Ari V when recci-ing the 1000 Lakes Rally in 1989 with him and Bruno. Interesting people and culture- one of my favourite countries of those that have spent any time in....

I found the Finns to be extremely pragmatic when making decisions.

Not particularly into small talk and in many cases very much into starting the day with a snifter and keeping things going through the day until the serious sessions got under way at the end of the afternoon - or sometimes from Lunchtime.

Helsinki in May was a fantastic place to be 30 years ago. Most of the rest of the country the same I would image.

Strangely, back then, May was peak suicide month in Finland.
Old 29 May 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3825451)   #1245
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You do learn a lot on this forum, pigs, blondes, Swedes, sandwiches, ferries, autoroutes, Delta's health, poignant memories form Mike's past, endlessly fascinating.

Now did I ever tell you about ………………………………….
Old 29 May 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3825454)   #1246
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You do learn a lot on this forum, pigs, blondes, Swedes, sandwiches, ferries, autoroutes, Delta's health, poignant memories form Mike's past, endlessly fascinating.

Now did I ever tell you about ………………………………….

Yes...... endlessly!!!!
Old 29 May 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3825473)   #1247
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I’m bored . 😣
Old 29 May 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3825474)   #1248
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In a few hours I shall be venturing of on Delta Motor Sports ambitious trip to date . I leave with big truck and head of to Zolder.,I am leaving race mechanic there to look after and run two FJ cars . Alan Morgan will collects me Wednesday morning and we both go off down to Charade . I will race the Penfold at Charade which I am looking forward to very much . We also have the small truck and another van and trailer going down to Charade as well. Alan then takes me back to Zolder on Monday and I then head of to Lithuania Latvia and then Sweden on the way back .,What could possible go wrong . ��
Just been skipping through a few pages and I read about this epic European/Scandinavian tour on which you are embarked. The sheer scale of the journey and the mileage involved is mind blowing, I wish you a safe journey and hopefully, return trip. Hope to bump in to you again sometime(unless by some light travelling you make to Thruxton next weekend)!
Amazing fortitude, bon chance.
Old 29 May 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3825546)   #1249
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got back tonight after the return trip to Charade via Zolder. 2600Km but Spotify made the long hours of driving bearable.
Old 29 May 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3825558)   #1250
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's an epic run in itself Alan, welcome back to Blighty! As for Iain, I still can't believe the scale of his circuitous route. Are you at Thruxton at the weekend?
Closed Thread