Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3502812)   #101
brmmbrmm
Rookie

brmmbrmm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggest field of V8TC in a very long time at Manfield. Yip the track are doing their own promotion of the NZGP. As for 10 Seventy, all three of the directors are experts in their own fields by the sound with a massive network across the business, media and sporting sectors.....can only be a good thing to integrate this. Couple of fresh sponsors can make a huge difference. I'm certainly remaining positive until I see otherwise.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3502937)   #102
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you able to give us a little more detail. What's the "vision", what are their own fields of expertise and who brings the massive media network to the party? Who are the fresh sponsors?

I'm sure they're lovely people, it's just no one seems to know why, what or how this brand new untested company without any specific background in what they were hired for got the job.....
Old 8 Feb 2015, 19:03 (Ref:3502989)   #103
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Are you able to give us a little more detail. What's the "vision", what are their own fields of expertise and who brings the massive media network to the party? Who are the fresh sponsors?

I'm sure they're lovely people, it's just no one seems to know why, what or how this brand new untested company without any specific background in what they were hired for got the job.....

I am told on very good authority, that entry was free at the Tier One TRS Championship round at Taupo last weekend, and that despite entry being free there were only 7 cars parked on the bank along the back straight.

Does anybody know who promoted this meeting?
Old 8 Feb 2015, 19:49 (Ref:3502997)   #104
brmmbrmm
Rookie

Mate I can only tell you what I've heard and seen. Taupo only had TRS and Formula Ford. Out of the promoters hands - that is down to MSNZ. It was a very quiet round for sure, but I did see the 10 Seventy guys running a promo down at the Hole in One Challenge one afternoon which was packed. They also took the TRS drivers on the Huka Jet, and there were those Black Thunder Radio trucks driving around Taupo handing out giveaways and promoting all over the radio.
Definitely good coverage in the papers, and on the big digital sign in Taupo. Their crew were still there last night when I left helping dismantle the Hospo tent. There were a lot more people in the pit area than down the bank side, and there was good coverage on the news last night. Talk in the pits is all positive, they've made time over the last four rounds to meet all the teams including drivers and families, something I haven't seen before and I've been around for a while. No doubt, they have a hard road ahead to bring in the crowds. Don't envy that. Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table next year given what they now know.....
Old 8 Feb 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3503020)   #105
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The question that we haven't yet had answered is that regardless of how good they are or what their expertise is, if what they are promoting is the existing Tier 1 programme, good luck to them, but is it going to change?

Taking the lads out on a jet boat isn't exactly fixing a lack lustre race programme as evidenced by the poor spectator support. Free entry and minimal spectators at a Tier 1 event. Doesn't that tell you something?
Old 8 Feb 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3503032)   #106
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
The question that we haven't yet had answered is that regardless of how good they are or what their expertise is, if what they are promoting is the existing Tier 1 programme, good luck to them, but is it going to change?

Taking the lads out on a jet boat isn't exactly fixing a lack lustre race programme as evidenced by the poor spectator support. Free entry and minimal spectators at a Tier 1 event. Doesn't that tell you something?
Was it a meeting for public consumption or was it a filming opportunity for Toyota that because of the location and its surrounds was a sure thing for world TV exposure of the brand Toyota. Have had comments from friends overseas that recognised that the TRS drivers were out on the Shotover Jets in Queenstown on their TV news programs.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3503039)   #107
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Tier 1 racing representing the pinnacle of motorsport in NZ, does it exist?

Yes indeed it does. Having just spent yesterday at the mighty Skope classic in Christchurch with 255 cars entered and the full-circuit spectators banks packed by 10am on Sunday morning, tier 1 racing does exist. It's called classic motorsport.

Now as for the Tier 2 NZV8 / TRS etc, well that's a different matter it seems.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3503048)   #108
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmmbrmm View Post
Mate I can only tell you what I've heard and seen. Taupo only had TRS and Formula Ford. Out of the promoters hands - that is down to MSNZ. It was a very quiet round for sure, but I did see the 10 Seventy guys running a promo down at the Hole in One Challenge one afternoon which was packed. They also took the TRS drivers on the Huka Jet, and there were those Black Thunder Radio trucks driving around Taupo handing out giveaways and promoting all over the radio.
Definitely good coverage in the papers, and on the big digital sign in Taupo. Their crew were still there last night when I left helping dismantle the Hospo tent. There were a lot more people in the pit area than down the bank side, and there was good coverage on the news last night. Talk in the pits is all positive, they've made time over the last four rounds to meet all the teams including drivers and families, something I haven't seen before and I've been around for a while. No doubt, they have a hard road ahead to bring in the crowds. Don't envy that. Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table next year given what they now know.....
Yeah, but you’re also the person that said the “big difference here is their vision” which you seem to have casually avoided explaining... What’s the vision?
(I think I read something where one of the directors was talking about Cycling? Not sure if this sort of weird marriage was part of the vision or someone mis-parroting the suggestion of having bikes at tier 1 events)

You also said that they’re “experts in their own fields” again without any further explanation of what those fields are. The same goes for their “massive network across the business, media and sporting sectors” (the media guru being the most interesting of the three as from my perspective there’s always been a great base of motorsport coverage, it’s that big mainstream stuff that’s been the challenge)....

I think reasonable questions based on statements you’ve already made.
It’s a pity about the crowd though, just shows how big the challenge is as you would have expected the zero dollar gate to be a bit of a free kick for crowd numbers....
Old 8 Feb 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3503060)   #109
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Was it a meeting for public consumption or was it a filming opportunity for Toyota that because of the location and its surrounds was a sure thing for world TV exposure of the brand Toyota. Have had comments from friends overseas that recognised that the TRS drivers were out on the Shotover Jets in Queenstown on their TV news programs.
Kiwis also like to see foreigners saying how much they love NZ, so could well have been designed to get pre-event coverage (results from Taupo on the Sunday night news don’t usually help with getting crowds to Taupo).

Having seen a few of these things the real proof is in watching how they’re run. It’s kind of like watching a Pit Crew, there’s the ones that’ll be busy out the back working on the 1% and ones that you’ll find on the pit wall taking selfies and working on the enjoyment....
Old 8 Feb 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3503068)   #110
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Kiwis also like to see foreigners saying how much they love NZ, so could well have been designed to get pre-event coverage (results from Taupo on the Sunday night news don’t usually help with getting crowds to Taupo).

Having seen a few of these things the real proof is in watching how they’re run. It’s kind of like watching a Pit Crew, there’s the ones that’ll be busy out the back working on the 1% and ones that you’ll find on the pit wall taking selfies and working on the enjoyment....
after looking at 10seventy's facebook page.. I was going to bring up selfies LOL
Old 8 Feb 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3503082)   #111
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
a very active youtube page..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUn...l13gYRlgg/feed

the series will be finished before anything is actually uploaded to the site.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3503085)   #112
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
It is more than that, take the old Silverstone Race to the Sky as an example, the airtime in Asia was significant and Silverstone name and signage was everywhere. One could never run a TV commercial with that amount of airtime for what the event cost.
Same with the spinnaker on the America Cup boats, it is just a big billboard in an action shot in a scenic situation so it is a sure starter for news bulletins and sports coverage.

The public in the footage or coming through the gate are just extras in the commercial.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 23:44 (Ref:3503090)   #113
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
yeah I have issues with this kind of promotion. does it promote the series.. or the boat company. if the want people to turn up.. they need to go to the people and let them know what's happening. a couple of cars in the plaza and the sign on Sanson rugby club grandstand.. ain't gonna cut it these days.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 00:22 (Ref:3503102)   #114
brmmbrmm
Rookie

Yeah absolutely agree. At the moment the $$ is in the overseas market, so any promo company starting out of course would look after those corporates who actually make the series run in the first instant. If chucking the drivers on the jetboat makes for good footage, bloody good on them. Filipos field of expertise is obvious - gotta be at the absolute top of your game to make the All Blacks. 12 years professional rugby - veteran. He's also a commentator for Sky TV, so presentation wise is tops. He gets the driving aspect at a competitor level, and man can that guy work! Hands on every time I saw him. I had a good talk to Carley - no flys on her - on the board of Chamber of Commerce, Business Mentor through BMNZ, tied up with a number of Councils from memory. Anyway why don't you just give them a call, rather than try second guess everything - sure they'd answer your questions. As for selfies - 21st century people.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 00:24 (Ref:3503103)   #115
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Ahhh, makes sense if the Toyota budget comes from elsewhere... I can't imagine the CFO being overly happy with coverage being focused on countries where Toyota New Zealand generated exactly $0 in sales.

Anyone know if it's a Global or APAC thing? Kind of interesting that they haven't rolled it out elsewhere.

Last edited by Chappelli; 9 Feb 2015 at 00:29.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3503104)   #116
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Ahhh, makes sense if the Toyota budget comes from elsewhere... I can't imagine the CFO being overly happy with coverage being focused on countries where Toyota New Zealand generated exactly $0 in sales.

Anyone know if it's a Global or APAC thing? Kind of interesting that they haven't rolled it out elsewhere.
It is not only Peter Jackson who uses the scenic splendour of NZ as a backdrop to a story or a commercial
Old 9 Feb 2015, 00:49 (Ref:3503107)   #117
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Can't imagine Post Haste being overly happy on the focus being offshore though...
Old 9 Feb 2015, 01:00 (Ref:3503110)   #118
brmmbrmm
Rookie

It's not Toyota mate, it's Toyota Racing - two seperate companies entirely.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 01:17 (Ref:3503113)   #119
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Can't imagine Post Haste being overly happy on the focus being offshore though...
Yes, local sponsors do get left behind but they are the local competitors sponsors and the big fish only see small fish as food to be consumed. It is only once they survive and grow to a similar size that they are acknowledged by the big fish.

In saying that Post Haste are getting good brand exposure from the Leitch Bros via TV and the various forms of the electronic media along with the southern newspapers. While it maybe at a lesser extent, it does follow the style of Hayden Paddon who while on the International scene is working hard and generating very good NZ exposure for his NZ sponsors back in his homeland.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 01:22 (Ref:3503115)   #120
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
The purists in NZ know that but I bet that very few other Kiwi's know that let alone the people overseas that have seen the airborne car on their screens in the past 24 hours. Bet most heard the word "Toyota" though.

Ever heard of subliminal advertising?
Old 9 Feb 2015, 02:03 (Ref:3503122)   #121
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Hmmm, new poster, joined yesterday... or are you just another recycled persona who wants to double post? Your profile is very scant on detail...
Old 9 Feb 2015, 02:30 (Ref:3503126)   #122
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Ahhh... Right, I was waaaaay off.
I always thought that Toyota New Zealand essentially backed what I thought was a locally funded and run series.

Kind of cool that Toyota Racing are backing something way down here in little old New Zealand.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 02:40 (Ref:3503128)   #123
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For one thing, why MSNZ and all the rest persist with the NZV8 class I have no idea. It's dead class walking. AFAIK no further cars are under construction and so what are they going to do? Amble on for a few years more?

With brmmmbrmmm and his new mates at 10/70, I guess that's nice if a promotions company wants to take it on, but the product itself is a hard sell and going nowhere with zero direction, so it seems pointless. Who is paying 10/70 and why?

Really what they need to do is stick a fork in these "Tier 1" weekends, they're done. Amalgamate the classes with V8 Supertourers and work it out.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 03:14 (Ref:3503135)   #124
brmmbrmm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
The purists in NZ know that but I bet that very few other Kiwi's know that let alone the people overseas that have seen the airborne car on their screens in the past 24 hours. Bet most heard the word "Toyota" though.

Ever heard of subliminal advertising?
Any advertising is good advertising! Subliminal, gorilla, traditional!
Old 9 Feb 2015, 03:39 (Ref:3503141)   #125
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Really what they need to do is stick a fork in these "Tier 1" weekends, they're done. Amalgamate the classes with V8 Supertourers and work it out.
that already happened. it was called the Waikato 250. no one turned up.