Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 15 Jun 2002, 20:20 (Ref:314553)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joey Dunlop - The Best Ever?

I've borrowed the Joey Dunlop biography and having read it I think he was the greatest motorcyclist ever. In fact, I think he is a bit like Ayrton Senna. They both had great passion for racing, they were the masters of wet weather, and they even both had bright yellow helmets. I KNOW that they competed in different sports, but from what I've seen, in talent and personality, they are pretty equal. And they both died as they lived - in an adrenalin rush, leading a race in the sport they devoted their life to. This is just my opinion by the way.
Old 16 Jun 2002, 01:57 (Ref:314701)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well Joey was fantastic to say the least < I havent read the book and dont know alot about him but he was a legend on the TT and will be sadly missed.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 11:03 (Ref:315335)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if anyone can be called "the best ever" as there is no way of comparing some people. For instance, Joey and Rossi as they never raced each other and essentially rode/ride different bike disciplines. But Joey was definitely one of the best riders and of equal to Senna, Prost, Doohan, Agostini, etc.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 11:36 (Ref:318163)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best nutter (sorry ex nutter) in the recent history of the Isle of Mann Tourist Trophy series. And a good publican by all accounts.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 02:57 (Ref:326280)   #5
Sidecar6
Rookie

Sidecar6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday was actually the aniversary of his death at Estonia.
Passionate - yes.
Committed - yes.
Funny ******* - oh yes.

I recently came accross Jim Reed at a race meet and when i aske about Joey he said that words would never do him justice.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:17 (Ref:330442)   #6
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joey was a great road racer but the harsh truth is that if you are only competing in pure road races you are not competing against the best riders in the world. In conventional GP racing Joey would have been nowhere. The greatest rider ever was Mike Hailwood who raced on roads, tracks, anything - and beat the hell out of the best in the world.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:14 (Ref:331117)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting - i received my copy of the TT 2000 review, in which Joey won his last 3 TT's, on the day exactly 2 years since his death.

Joey was definatly one of the best, and he was competitive in closed track racing as well, he raced in the F1 World Championship and also some roudns of the 1988 WSB championship, plus he competed and beat the likes of Fogarty, Hislop, Rutter and Emmett on the Isle of Man.

The thing that stands out is that he was just as comfortable and as fast as anyone on a 1000cc Superbike as he was on a 125cc GP bike.