Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Oct 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3855744)   #5926
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only thing I don't get/don't like about the LMP1 "hyper car" regs is that the LMP2s might look more "prototype-like" than the LMP1 cars.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3855747)   #5927
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/1...gulations.html

Whilst more detail on the timeline and specific content of the ‘Hypercar’ regs are expected shortly, Fillon again talked of current discussions with ‘five or six’ manufacturers over the regulations and showed a new concept drawing again emphasising the road car styling cues likely to feature in the new manufacturer-led category.

Sooo...Basically what the original Daytona Prototypes SHOULD have looked like.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3855757)   #5928
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Here are the older renders from the June presentation. They seem to be all variants of the same model/design.

Old 9 Oct 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3855765)   #5929
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Here are the older renders from the June presentation. They seem to be all variants of the same model/design.
Makes sense to do so - keeps people from getting confused on what's developed if you use variations on the same base concept.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3855766)   #5930
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are they insisting on the HUGE cockpits? I just don't get it. Surely something like the CLR and 911 GT1-98 would be the better solution. Wide enough to get two people side by side, narrow enough to be quite far removed from a road car and look quite alien and special.
I think the secret is that the entirety of the cockpit should be contained within the inner width of the front wheels.

I saw this fan-made render last week and it's much preferable to those released by the ACO:

More pictures here https://grabcad.com/library/project-919-gt1-1
Obviously there are aspects of the fan render that make no sense in a modern context - such as those doors, the mirrors and the tiny exit for the front diffuser - but the car as a whole seems sound enough to my untrained eye.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 22:09 (Ref:3855782)   #5931
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
Why are they insisting on the HUGE cockpits? I just don't get it. Surely something like the CLR and 911 GT1-98 would be the better solution. Wide enough to get two people side by side, narrow enough to be quite far removed from a road car and look quite alien and special.
I think the secret is that the entirety of the cockpit should be contained within the inner width of the front wheels.
Three things:

First of all, they're not that much wider than what you refer to. Don't forget that the ACO now uses narrower overall chassis(and that's expected to be retained in the new LMP1 regs), so a cockpit of similar width will look wider than it actually is.

Secondly, there's the road car side of things. To help the factory-car look, they'll need those wider cockpits. The Mercedes CLR and Porche 911 GT1-98 bared only the most minute of resemblances to the road cars they were allegedly based on.

Lastly, there may very well be leeway in the cockpit widths that allow designers to narrow them if they choose to do so. These are CONCEPTS meant to illustrate the idea behind the car, NOT finalized rules.

I personally prefer the wider cockpits if they're going to insist on the hypercar rules. As long as they don't make the dimensional regulation mistakes that led to the original DPs, we're good.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 02:06 (Ref:3855808)   #5932
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
A 1900mm width for "hypercars" is when street hyper cars start around 1950 and go up to over 2060 for the track cars, and the GTEs are 2050 is laughable. Then again what isn't about this?
Old 10 Oct 2018, 03:05 (Ref:3855811)   #5933
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't think it's set in stone yet what the width is. I'm with RedSquirrel though. They look like GTE's, not GTP's. The Valkyrie and the Toyota don't have that extra wide cockpit.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3856227)   #5934
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....so the ACO remains on suicidal mode.

At this moment there are some LMP1 because the development costs are relatively small (they just need to modify the existing LMP2). But.... How many constructors will risk their funds developing a complete new car considering the tiny LMP1 market? You can see where is Ginetta at this moment.

6 Works teams? I'm expecting between 1 to zero. The reception of the new regulations was as cold as a exgirlfriend's mother hug on the manufacturer side.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3856239)   #5935
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Since when did the FIA or ACO know what they were doing? Its just one muddled decision after another.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3856255)   #5936
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I don't think the whole thing is ideal, I'm still excited to see something new pounding around tracks we know and love. I think some of the comments in here are overly cynical. As a motorsport fan why wouldn't you want this to succeed?
Old 12 Oct 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3856274)   #5937
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Since when did the FIA or ACO know what they were doing? Its just one muddled decision after another.
Is it? Or is this a decision based on feedback from fans and manufacturers/teams? I think we'll see Toyota and Aston Martin in 2021. That's a 100% increase in factory teams than we have now.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3856327)   #5938
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
6 Works teams? I'm expecting between 1 to zero. The reception of the new regulations was as cold as a exgirlfriend's mother hug on the manufacturer side.
Evidently... Almost every week one of these 5-6 manufacturers talks about the regs in public. We can also name these manufacturers because they have come out and admitted interest and/or the fact they've been present in the meetings. If you can't name them, then cleary you have not followed news closely enough.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3856352)   #5939
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:

You clearly haven't been paying attention. Sure, a few manufacturers have been a bit dismissive of it, but the general treatment hasn't been anywhere near as cold as you claim. Quite the contrary, many manufacturers are excited about it, with the hybrid rules being the primary sticking point. For at least one interested manufacturer(Ford), the rules aren't the sticking point so much as whether it will form the basis for IMSA's top prototype class in the future.

And frankly, the class COULD work for IMSA. If the ACO can get the costs down far enough, just removing the all-wheel-drive and hybrid systems would make it a suitable top class for IMSA. And don't think for a moment that any manufacturer interested in the class won't be willing to provide non-hybrid versions for IMSA racing.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 03:15 (Ref:3856755)   #5940
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
While I don't think the whole thing is ideal, I'm still excited to see something new pounding around tracks we know and love. I think some of the comments in here are overly cynical. As a motorsport fan why wouldn't you want this to succeed?
It's exactly because I'm a motorsport fan and not a motor marketing entertainment consumer. I have absolutely no interest in watching $25m degenerate spec racers playing pretend.

There's been a few small manufacturers talking about running but honestly none of them actually have the money for it. Just floating it for investors.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3856782)   #5941
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The reception of the new regulations was as cold as a exgirlfriend's mother hug on the manufacturer side.
Source?
Old 16 Oct 2018, 00:11 (Ref:3857053)   #5942
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It's exactly because I'm a motorsport fan and not a motor marketing entertainment consumer. I have absolutely no interest in watching $25m degenerate spec racers playing pretend.

There's been a few small manufacturers talking about running but honestly none of them actually have the money for it. Just floating it for investors.
Isn't lmp2 multi-million dollar spec racers? Same engine, damn near same chassis (Oreca). I haven't seen anything like that for the new rules. Just guidelines for performance windows.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 06:41 (Ref:3857082)   #5943
carbsmith
Veteran

Trying to compare a $3.5m/year privateer class that has pretty vague equalization between chassis to a $25m/year factory class where all the performance parameters of the car are fixed does not work.

LMP2 has approximately the technology and cost level necessary for its performance requirements and is reflected in large competitive fields, which is an okay tradeoff for more technical freedom.

Meanwhile the hypercar class is 7-8x as much money for less (rather nearly zero) performance differentiation and a fraction of that worth more speed. There's no benefit, only the loss of any chance of decent field sizes, resulting in a terrible competition on every level. It manages to make DPi look like a good idea, and that's just plain spending twice the money on LMP2 cars to make the fields smaller and the racing worse.

In other words spec racing usually trades freedom of technology for more freedom of entrants, while spec racing at this price point and base technology requirement is trading both for guaranteed advertising for a few manufacturers able to play.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3857093)   #5944
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
But you don't even know what's spec yet and what isn't. I'm not very enthused about what I've heard about these regs so far but there's been nothing to indicate that it's going to be anything like LMP2 spec wise.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3857189)   #5945
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
FIA ANNOUNCES WORLD MOTOR SPORT COUNCIL DECISIONS

Details of the technical regulations based upon the ‘Hypercar’ concept for 2020-2021 season were approved. An estimation of the required budgets was presented, with a view to allowing both manufacturers and private entries to be competitive within the defined financial framework.
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announc...l-decisions-11

iirc December was mentioned as a final approval date for the full regulations.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3857199)   #5946
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announc...l-decisions-11

iirc December was mentioned as a final approval date for the full regulations.
That's when they need to do it in order for manufacturers to be able to have cars ready for the 2020-2021 season. If need be they can delay the adoption by another season to flesh them out further.

But if there's a problem they'll in all likelihood finalize enough details that the manufacturers can still get to work and only need to make minor adaptations to account for the later changes - anything that could cause a delay right now is probably not going to be a big enough detail to invalidate a manufacutrer's entire design.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 00:52 (Ref:3857200)   #5947
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
That's when they need to do it in order for manufacturers to be able to have cars ready for the 2020-2021 season. If need be they can delay the adoption by another season to flesh them out further.
December is also when the next FIA WMSC is. After that the next is in March.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3857229)   #5948
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/1...up-a-gear.html

Quote:
Additional measures now proposed in the interests of cost control include:

The adoption of a single tyre supplier, felt to be entirely appropriate with such a tight performance window being applied;
God damn it. Why shitty F1 ideas always have to come all the way down to endurance. Pit-stops, and now single tire supplier ? What's next ? 300 km races ? This is a good idea to reduce costs no ?
Old 17 Oct 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3857244)   #5949
deggis
Veteran

Finland
20M eur for OEM and 16M for privateers? Really?

An OEM will find a way to spend more. Then a full BoP system will be implemented... if it isn't already in the plans at least regarding the DF cap.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3857245)   #5950
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Lets face it, they are just trying to create a somewhat faster GTE class, with all the same BOP measures.

Take a GTE car, lose 300kg, insert a 800bhp engine, fit a massive aero bodykit, done!