Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Mar 2016, 08:35 (Ref:3623811)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Joking aside, the Acecas are indeed eligible but they come out very rarely. Indeed I suspect that they only came out for the 60th anniversary race at the BDC a couple of years ago. I do have a contact for one that occasionally races but despite chatting them up at several meetings over the years, and then emailing them (the 2 litre versions are also FISCAR eligible), I've never had a single reply. The others I have no names for, so any help there would be appreciated.

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Mar 2016 at 09:01.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 08:40 (Ref:3623814)   #77
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chambers View Post
Whilst I know nothing of the Ogle, I know the Draper family owned and occasionally raced an Alfa TZ1, indisputably a Coupe and one of the very prettiest, but maybe a little too quick?

Contact details for Martin Greaves sent by PM
It certainly is a fabulous car but as you say maybe a bit quick. It was afterall a bespoke racing car and these days tends to be what I call a big event car - Revival & Classic type!

Got your message, Bruce, thanks, and have replied.

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Mar 2016 at 09:03. Reason: typo
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3623839)   #78
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
JR tells me that the Le Mans Harrington Alpine that he owned a few years back went to the States. I also remember seeing another (pale blue?) a few years back.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3623845)   #79
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
3000 RW, which I think was John's car, is a very pale duck egg blue / green. There has been a red Harrington floating around Europe, ex 1963 Sebring car with NART / Ferrari badges on the front wings. CCK Historic were with it at Goodwood at some point and it was sold via the web- http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C576753

There are also pics on the web of a red MGB Coune Berlinette with numbers on the side, but don't think from UK.

BTW John, if you decide to hold a race at Snetterton for pre war / vintage cars, will it be 'The Norwich Straight Cup' in honour of the original layout?
Old 18 Mar 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3623899)   #80
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Joking aside, the Acecas are indeed eligible but they come out very rarely. Indeed I suspect that they only came out for the 60th anniversary race at the BDC a couple of years ago. I do have a contact for one that occasionally races but despite chatting them up at several meetings over the years, and then emailing them (the 2 litre versions are also FISCAR eligible), I've never had a single reply. The others I have no names for, so any help there would be appreciated.
The two that raced in the Anniversary race in 2013 were driven by Peter Lanfranchi and Tony Edwards, but Andy Shepherd is/was Chairman of the AC Owners Club so should be able to advise.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3623934)   #81
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Bob, thanks for names. Yes, I know Andy well and he is my next port of call.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3623945)   #82
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Bob, thanks for names. Yes, I know Andy well and he is my next port of call.
John, I have traced a picture of Samuel Thomas (Waterlooville) racing a silver Aceca at the May 2013 HSCC Meeting. Maybe the Club could help there.

Bob.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 22:22 (Ref:3624014)   #83
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't Peter Lanfranchi Race a white / cream Aceca a few years back?

N.

Last edited by Heightswitch; 18 Mar 2016 at 22:29.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3624028)   #84
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
Didn't Peter Lanfranchi Race a white / cream Aceca a few years back?

N.
is that the one mentioned in post #80?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 07:17 (Ref:3624127)   #85
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
is that the one mentioned in post #80?
The two mentioned in my post, MGD, were red and blue not that it means very much. And as there is no reg. number showing on the cream car, it is hard to say if it is one of them.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 08:01 (Ref:3624139)   #86
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
They really are pretty aren't they. I will follow these leads up, thanks, chaps.

I've also heard from Keith Hampson that the only Harrington Alpine currently racing is that of Steve Chapman (of Glossop) so my next question is, if anyone has Steve's contact details please PM me with his details.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3624181)   #87
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The two mentioned in my post, MGD, were red and blue not that it means very much. And as there is no reg. number showing on the cream car, it is hard to say if it is one of them.
Sorry to mislead. Old age.

The cream car is in there as well.

I will post pic of silver car after I have taken Missus shopping.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3624217)   #88
bauble
Veteran

England
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3624223)   #89
bauble
Veteran

England
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cJPG

This is my album of the 60th. Anniversary Race for the AC Ace/Aceca with the three Acecas White Red and Blue.

Hope this helps someone somehow.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:47 (Ref:3624227)   #90
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just bumped into Hugh James and his son, Nick who have the Ogle 1000SX. Told them about your race John and they're interested in joining in.

NIck has an entry at the Classic the following week so they'll need to work out the logistics.

I'll send you his contact details by email.