Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Apr 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2452159)   #1
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber C11

Don't know if this is better here or in historic today but...

Bigger http://www.xynamic.com/index.php?opt...2717&Itemid=27

Bigger http://www.xynamic.com/index.php?opt...2708&Itemid=27
(Photos from Gary Parravani)

That's what appears, to me, to be a Sauber C11 running at Donnington yesterday. Now, if I'm not mistaken, the car that ran last year was a C9? Making this actual news Where's this come from?

Reckon it might be this... http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/sold/sold_04.html
Old 29 Apr 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2452167)   #2
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn, those cars never cease to be beautiful.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2452218)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Now why can't the modern range of LMP closed prototypes look that good.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2452227)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler View Post
Don't know if this is better here or in historic today but...

Bigger http://www.xynamic.com/index.php?opt...2717&Itemid=27

Bigger http://www.xynamic.com/index.php?opt...2708&Itemid=27
(Photos from Gary Parravani)

That's what appears, to me, to be a Sauber C11 running at Donnington yesterday. Now, if I'm not mistaken, the car that ran last year was a C9? Making this actual news Where's this come from?

Reckon it might be this... http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/sold/sold_04.html
Definitely looks like a C11 to me- as you said, Rob Sherrard's car raced last year was a C9, so if this is the car recently sold by John Starkey, who's got it, and more important, are they going to race it?
Old 29 Apr 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2452253)   #5
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Definitely looks like a C11 to me- as you said, Rob Sherrard's car raced last year was a C9, so if this is the car recently sold by John Starkey, who's got it, and more important, are they going to race it?
I'd like to know. I don't think Gary even knew it was a C11...I think I might be the only one anal enough to have noticed.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2452306)   #6
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
They will to us all in 20 years time. Its what you grow up with, I suppose.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2452376)   #7
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
They will to us all in 20 years time. Its what you grow up with, I suppose.
You've got a point - rose tinted spectacles do a lot for perception. I grew up with Group C and still look back and think they were fantastic years, but seeing them in the historic race last year I wasn't as utterly captivated by them as I thought I would be. Sure, nice cars, loads of drama to them, but I could see how time's passed on and that there are many really positive aspects to today's cars.

I take the point about them being driven less aggressively now, but even still, a shape's a shape.

The really encouraging thing about mini's spot at Donington is that we are seeing some of these cars creep out. Previously I'd have been willing to bet quite a whack that we would never see one of the works Mercs in private hands. Hugely hugely pleased to be proven wrong.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2452491)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
she is a beaut, clark....
but still has Schlesser's and Baldi's name on it so i would have to think it would be running historics, right? unless they haven't got around to removing the stickers, yet.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2452579)   #9
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Even though I think the technical regs were better back then, I've always thought the group C cars look a little bland compared to modern prototypes...very much a subjective thing I guess.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 07:32 (Ref:2452621)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think everyone remembers cars from the past and perhaps overtime builds them up, but it is still great to see them being used rather than sitting in some dusty hall where they might just as well be a mock up, better to let them run wild (well almost wild) in there natural habitate.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2452631)   #11
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'd like to know. I don't think Gary even knew it was a C11...I think I might be the only one anal enough to have noticed.
Nah, the front of the C11 is far curvier and more graceful compared to the stubby fronted C9. I think plenty of anoraks out there would have spotted it!!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2452632)   #12
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
Even though I think the technical regs were better back then, I've always thought the group C cars look a little bland compared to modern prototypes...very much a subjective thing I guess.
Interesting point. I'd be more of the view, F1 included, that cars are over-aero'd these days and though works of art, not pretty in the way 1980's Gp C cars and late 80's and early 90's F1 cars were withb their cleaner lines and less wings. As you say, very subjective.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2452644)   #13
jimmie
Rookie

jimmie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
gary would like point out he was well aware what he was shooting
Old 30 Apr 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2452713)   #14
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
My apologies to mr. Parravani, who knew what he was shooting. Also, would any chassis number/historic purchase boffs like to let us know who's it is/where it's running etc?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2452785)   #15
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was / is a C11 on display in Mercedes World at Brooklands, I think with Schlesser / Baldi's names on it. It may well be (he said, speculatively), that Mercedes has just taken the car out for a run. Anyone live near Brooklands that could pop into Mercedes world and check if the C11 is still there?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2452829)   #16
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It may have been sold to the USofA, and had a trundle at Donners to check it all worked before being crated up...

In which case Garry has a rare image of a rare motorcar!
Old 4 May 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2684554)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this another C11 that could end up in historic Group C/GTP?

http://www.philstott.co.uk/mercedesc11.html
Old 5 May 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2684558)   #18
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

An article in a recent issue of MotorSport magazine said yes! Bob Berridge had bought 1
Old 5 May 2010, 00:19 (Ref:2684561)   #19
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just wish the Daytona Protos could look this good.
Old 5 May 2010, 01:16 (Ref:2684571)   #20
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

No race history, development test mule. Surprised the downturn in the economy has shaken more cars out like this.
Old 5 May 2010, 07:46 (Ref:2684656)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
These are the sort of cars that made Group C the greatest period for sportscar racing, lets hope if finds a buyer prepared to put it to the test against the Porsches, Jags and other cars of its era.
Old 5 May 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2684721)   #22
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such an amazing looking car.
Old 5 May 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2684874)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
No race history, development test mule. Surprised the downturn in the economy has shaken more cars out like this.
Is this from Mercedes/Sauber?

I've been suprised to see a few of the later Nissan Group C cars in private hands, yet there are no Toyotas.
Old 5 May 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2684957)   #24
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
2 Mercedes C 11 and Rob Sherrard with his Sauber C 9 on the Entry List for the RMU classic in Spa .

http://www.groupcracing.com/pages/43
Old 5 May 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2685067)   #25
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see David Mercer out again in his Spice SE90 I assume he couldn't sell it.