Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Feb 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2387470)   #1
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers you would like to see in WTCC

Which drivers would you like to see in Wtcc? Who would you give a chance to if you were a team boss?
At the moment I can't find anyone attractive in the indies, but I can't wait to see Boardman prove himself to understand if he deserves a works drive.
From other series, Oscar Nogues is one of those I would like to see in Wtcc. Murray would also be interesting, but probably he would be a lot like Farfus, being fast but often screwing it all up. Colak would be good, too
Definitely Turkington and Giovanardi from Btcc, maybe even Mat Jackson, though he needs a few more years to be completely mature and deserve a place.
Also, a few ex-Formula One drivers, just to make them see how touring cars are really difficult to drive, even if they don't think so. People like Zonta, Enge and a few more would be interesting to see
Old 3 Feb 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2387490)   #2
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duncan Huisman would be good to see in a BMW.
Ryan Sharp has some unfinisched business in the Wtcc. His only year in a privateer Honda was very promising, and in other series he has proven to be a great driver.
Jason Plato, just to see him fight Muller once again.
Robert Doornbos, because I'm a great fan of him. He a hard fighter, he's a very enthousiast nice guy and he is from my hometown Rotterdam. He's doing a good job nowadays in A1-GP, and he probably goes to race in the IRL this year. I'd rather see him in Wtcc, since I don't like oval-racing that much.
Jan Magnussen: a great driver, and a great name.
Takuma Sato: that would boost the interest in wtcc in Japan.
Luca Rangoni: a shame that he is gone. Spectacular and fast driver.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2387504)   #3
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was a team boss for a WTCC campaign, I would buy two BMW's and put Rikard Göransson and Mat Jackson behind the wheel. I might also try and get Kenny Bräck to do some selected races.

It would also be nice to see where Matt Neal would be on the grid. Some Asians would be nice too. Jack Lemvard would be one name, he did great in the few ADAC Procar races he drove (and also in ATCS but there wasn't much of a challenge to win TBH).
Old 3 Feb 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2387523)   #4
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really wanted to see James Thompson and Takuma Sato in works Honda Accords...
Old 3 Feb 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2387596)   #5
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eoin Murray, Gavin Pyper, Vincent Radermecker, Warren Hughes, Paul O'Neill, Shaun Watson-Smith, Colin Turkington, Gareth Howell, Dan Eaves, Kelvin Burt, Mattias Andersson, Duncan Huisman, Edward Sandström, Daniel Haglöf, Jimmy Johansson - take your pick.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2387658)   #6
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Eoin Murray, Gavin Pyper, Vincent Radermecker, Warren Hughes, Paul O'Neill, Shaun Watson-Smith, Colin Turkington, Gareth Howell, Dan Eaves, Kelvin Burt, Mattias Andersson, Duncan Huisman, Edward Sandström, Daniel Haglöf, Jimmy Johansson - take your pick.
I would take Murray, Turkington and Huisman. Huisman is great in Macau, just fantastic.
I'll tell you what, let's play a game: each of us chooses a team to be the imaginary boss of, and can confirm the driver(s) he has in the team plus add one more. Who would you pick?
I say I'm Bart Mampey and I obviously keep Priaulx and, to avoid the two drivers fighting for the title against each other, I would let Rangoni, Turkington and Jackson race on the second car. Then I'd pick the one who satisfied me the most and give him a chance to have a full works BMW seat.
You can also pick indipendent teams or create a new one from scratch, in which case you only have 1 car available.
Ah, btw, I agree about Doornbos and Ryan Sharp, except that they would both need a year of learning before being competitive, especially the dutchman, as it's not easy to go from Formulae to Touring Cars. And Ryan would need to get back to the hardest TC and workd hard to be fully competitive as he can be.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2387694)   #7
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course I'd be going nationalistic, and I'd pick Equipe Verschuur to run me either a pair of Chevy Cruze's for Tom Coronel and Jaap van Lagen, or a pair of BMW's for Jeroen Bleekemolen and Duncan Huisman I'm slightly aiming towards the first combo I think.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2387773)   #8
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Of course I'd be going nationalistic, and I'd pick Equipe Verschuur to run me either a pair of Chevy Cruze's for Tom Coronel and Jaap van Lagen, or a pair of BMW's for Jeroen Bleekemolen and Duncan Huisman I'm slightly aiming towards the first combo I think.
I said that if you choose a new team you only have 1 car, so you have to choose!
Btw, I like Bleekemolen.

Last edited by helterskelter; 3 Feb 2009 at 22:50.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 05:08 (Ref:2387898)   #9
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan Magnussen, he drove at Macau a few years ago supporting Andy Priaulx. He has also driven a few WTCC rounds, back in his Peugeot days.

Jimmy Johansson could also be a good pick!

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 4 Feb 2009 at 05:10.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2387960)   #10
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter
I said that if you choose a new team you only have 1 car, so you have to choose!
Btw, I like Bleekemolen.
As I said, I'd probably pick the first combo
Old 4 Feb 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2387972)   #11
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Equipe Verschuur has done a lot with Renault, so why not let them run a pair of Laguna's. Even better: 3 full worksbacked Lagunas. Driven by Jeroen Bleekemolen, Fernando Alonso and whoever wins the French Cliocup.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2387975)   #12
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
Equipe Verschuur has done a lot with Renault, so why not let them run a pair of Laguna's. Even better: 3 full worksbacked Lagunas. Driven by Jeroen Bleekemolen, Fernando Alonso and whoever wins the French Cliocup.
Equipe Verschuur can run a lawnmower and make it win They were a big part in Van Merksteijns victory at LeMans, and are running around 30 cars each season in the various championships. They've got plenty experience to run most cars. A Renault would never be my car of choice as I find them to ugly for words
Old 4 Feb 2009, 09:24 (Ref:2388000)   #13
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From STCC, apart from already mention Göransson, I think Björk, Dahlgren and Ekblom certainly could hold their own. From DTC I've also yet to see Nykear being mentioned. Just put him in a FWD and Im sure he would by far not make a fool of himself either.

Oscar Nogues however I'm not sure I would like to see anywhere, let alone WTCC. From this years ETCC I think its clear that
1) He is too slow (eg Engström, not even making my STCC cut, clearly outperformed Nouges)
2) His ego can't handle being passed by a better driver and prefers to use dirty tricks to take them out instead.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2389185)   #14
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Michael Galati, and John Espenlaub. Oh, and maybe Pierre Kleinubing.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2389189)   #15
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would probably pick from the british series....plato or jackson
Old 5 Feb 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2389251)   #16
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Michael Galati, and John Espenlaub. Oh, and maybe Pierre Kleinubing.
That's true, an american would be a great addition to WTCC. One of the Realtime guys would surely do good, and maybe Altenburg too. Maybe Auberlen in a BMW with Turner Motorsport backing?
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2389275)   #17
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
If you could reel Peter Cunningham out of retirement, I'm sure he could give some of those guys a real run for their money. The same with Randy Pobst.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2389336)   #18
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeh, Pobst could drive any car and beat most of the guys in WTCC I reccon, that would be my pick from over there for sure. You're also right that Björk, Göransson, Dahlgren and Ekblom would be the logical pick from STCC to take a stab at WTCC, Eklom drove ETCC in 2002 and did quite well.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2389444)   #19
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Yes but I didn't like Ekblom when he partnered Priaulx on the BMW. Anyway don't be too sure that a newcomer, whenever talented, would be fast straightaway. It takes a year of learning, at least, for the most talented... Look at Giovanardi, for instance, in 2006 he learned and started winning from 2007 on, and he was Giovanardi, not a slow guy...!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2389447)   #20
brucelok2003
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
brucelok2003 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may pick up some guys from DTM: Ralf Schumacher, Mathias Lauda, Katherine Legge, Susie Stoddart and Oliver Jarvis.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 00:37 (Ref:2389466)   #21
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Quote:
Yes but I didn't like Ekblom when he partnered Priaulx on the BMW.
But you also need to know that he was only hired for helping Andy, not score results for himself. But he did well in qualy at Anderstorp, but he helped Andy instead. Why do you think he only raced at Anderstorp, Monza and Macau? Both have long straights and slip stream is important to do well in qualy. That's why he was hired (and previous connections with RBM and BMW Motorsport also helped I guess). It was the same with Jan Magnussen at Macau the year before, he was only there to help Andy who didn't have a team mate to slip stream. At least Ekblom got a juicy paycheck from BMW .

Well, enough on that! Is there any type of car that Randy Pobst hasn't been in? He is a jack of all trades for sure.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2389637)   #22
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Yes but I didn't like Ekblom when he partnered Priaulx on the BMW. Anyway don't be too sure that a newcomer, whenever talented, would be fast straightaway. It takes a year of learning, at least, for the most talented... Look at Giovanardi, for instance, in 2006 he learned and started winning from 2007 on, and he was Giovanardi, not a slow guy...!
Don't forget the Astra he drove in 2006 was a lousy car. It took him a few weekends to get on par with Chilton, but already in the second half of 2006 he was way faster than Chilton, always fighting for podiums and taking a win in Knockhill.
But then we are speaking of Giovanardi, who might be one of the very best touringcardrivers in the world and the BTCC wich has less world-class competitors compared to the WTCC.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2389656)   #23
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Yes but I didn't like Ekblom when he partnered Priaulx on the BMW. Anyway don't be too sure that a newcomer, whenever talented, would be fast straightaway. It takes a year of learning, at least, for the most talented...
Yes, you are definitly at a disadvantage from being behind on track knowledge vs the opposition.

But eg Ekblom finished 6th in his one and only year in ETCC (2002). And there are some pretty impressive names behind his in the championship standings that year. Coronel, Gene, Huisman, Colciago, Tarquini...

So he is not exactly a inexperienced and his bad placements when teaming with Priaulx is purely down to him doing 1 specific task only, help P score as much as possible.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2389764)   #24
AxelF
Racer

AxelF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be also very patriotic, and would also outrun all of you guys in form of marketing hype and speed...

I would pick a pair of BMW 320si and would choose Sabine Schmitz and Claudia Hürtgen!!!

Even if they don't get the pole position, they would be on the cover of the magazines as the "all-girl-team"...
Old 6 Feb 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2389783)   #25
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
I agree with you about Sabine Schmitz. Since her appeareances on the Top Gear show she is known al over Europe. Huertgen is not very good marketing-material IIRC.
Anyway, I'd hate to see people in the WTCC based on gender. Leave that to the DTM please.

Tags
wtcc