Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 May 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3825563)   #1251
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
That's an epic run in itself Alan, welcome back to Blighty! As for Iain, I still can't believe the scale of his circuitous route. Are you at Thruxton at the weekend?

Nah, it's not really that bad. Quite a lot of time spent cruising on the Baltic Sea. More like a holiday really ....

Probably why delta is bored.

Has he taken your bike to fix in the quieter moments, Alan?
Old 30 May 2018, 03:21 (Ref:3825581)   #1252
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for kind words . I’m a little miffed as there is no track activity until Sunday on the Lithuania track this weekend . I’m still thinking about getting to Thruxton but can’t really see it’s going to happen . I shall look forward to pictures and reports . 😀e
Old 30 May 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3825624)   #1253
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just for our Bob . I’ve arrived at Kiel safe and sound . Mike will be pleased to know that I’ve had a salmon salad . Thats two days in a row now I’ve had salad . For everyone else I’m now enjoying a second large beer . Happy days 😀
Old 30 May 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3825626)   #1254
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just for our Bob . I’ve arrived at Kiel safe and sound . Mike will be pleased to know that I’ve had a salmon salad . Thats two days in a row now I’ve had salad . For everyone else I’m now enjoying a second large beer . Happy days 😀
It’s quite easy to make a salad which contains more fat and more calories than a burger- ask Maccy D!
Old 30 May 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3825644)   #1255
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Iain, like many others here I have been following your Continental odyssey with enormous interest, and have been wondering if you are making an attempt on a Guinness Book of Records entry.
Are you trying to break the record for the number of countries visited in the shortest time, or the longest way around Europe in a truck? Maybe it is some food related record you are after - the greatest variety of breakfasts in a week?

The highest number of nights spent sleeping in a transporter?

Do enlighten your myriad of fans, as to progress.

Number 1 supporter,

Bauble Bob.
Old 30 May 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3825645)   #1256
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post

Wot, no kwossants, Iain?? You must be a long way from civilisation!
Old 30 May 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3825657)   #1257
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Delta, should we be worried because you made absolutely no comment about the food - or not! - you got when at Charade… Was it that terrible? OK, the beer is not fantastic there unless you visit a pub at Clermont Ferrand place Jaude.
Old 30 May 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3825660)   #1258
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonderful joke I heard on Radio France Bleunord -

What is the definition of a pessimist?

An optimist who has had more experience!
Old 30 May 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3825661)   #1259
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vauxhall Viva.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	51362
What is Vauxhall thinking of? This is NOT a Vauxhall Viva, the bloody thing's front wheel drive for a start.
bauble, you're in Luton, can you pop round to headquarters and have a word with them please?
Thanks in advance...
Old 30 May 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3825675)   #1260
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
As if happened we had a lovely dinner at the resturant just outside the circuit . Me and Alan did have a mashed up sasuage in a bread roll at the track . I’m afraid it went in the bin . I then wanted a chochate Crepe but just got one with sugar on . That was ok . The evening meal laid on by organisers was fantastic . Ham baked in hay and mashed potatoe . Blooming lovely .
Old 30 May 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3825676)   #1261
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Attachment 51362
What is Vauxhall thinking of? This is NOT a Vauxhall Viva, the bloody thing's front wheel drive for a start.
bauble, you're in Luton, can you pop round to headquarters and have a word with them please?
Thanks in advance...
They found a big stock of old badges, so cheaper to call the car a Viva.....
Old 30 May 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3825678)   #1262
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
They found a big stock of old badges, so cheaper to call the car a Viva.....

Vauxhall missed a trick - they should have re-introduced the Prince Henry to coincide with the Royal wedding.
Old 30 May 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3825714)   #1263
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Rumour has it this the view delta had as the ferry left Kiel for Lithuania..... We'll have to take his word for it, I guess!
Attached Thumbnails
75502840-D9A8-4DCF-84D1-7BF82D31CEBD.jpeg  
Old 31 May 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3825792)   #1264
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Chef

Thinking about endless Delta trip, came up to my mind a fantastic movie about racing all over Europ, Continental Circus. OK its motorcycling and the director is french, but I find he captured the real atmosphere of racing in this period. You could buy a good bike from works team - it was delivered in a box with some spares - bolt the stuff together and try to challenge official teams. And win sometimes!
Old 31 May 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3825926)   #1265
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Continental Circus - music soundtrack by Daevid Allen who went on to lay the foundations of the Canterbury sound with the likes of Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt. Not the greatest piece he ever did (understatement) but all my era and some of the great names still live & gig round here
Old 31 May 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3825930)   #1266
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Continental Circus - music soundtrack by Daevid Allen who went on to lay the foundations of the Canterbury sound with the likes of Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt. Not the greatest piece he ever did (understatement) but all my era and some of the great names still live & gig round here

Hmm.

Kevin Ayres.

Now there was an enigma to beat most enigmas.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 04:59 (Ref:3825960)   #1267
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
This made me smile, but probably not those affected! Courtesy of The Telegraph -

London's Victoria Station was evacuated on Thursday evening when the steam from the Flying Scotsman set off the fire alarm. The world-famous locomotive - which was travelling around the south east as part of a nationwide tour - arrived into the station during the evening rush hour. Thousands of commuters were facing delays to their journey home, as the station closed for around 25 minutes.

Network Rail said in a statement: "Earlier this evening a charter steam train upon arriving into London Victoria station had set off the pre-alarm on the fire panel. Although no fire was discovered and the issue was confirmed as a false alarm, the fire alarm system entered full evacuation mode and the correct process for a full alarm was carried out as per the safety standard."

The station reopened shortly after 7.30pm.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3825974)   #1268
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Mike, Network Fail managed to cock up yet again.

It is well known that the steam and smoke being emitted by a steam loco has the potential to set off false alarms in terminus stations, so standard procedure is that parts of the alarm system are disabled during the period that the loco is on site.

However, Network Failed to do so yesterday, thus causing unnecessary inconvenience (with one passenger panicked) and multiple train journeys delayed. All because of the wrong type of steam!

You couldn't make it up!
Old 1 Jun 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3825991)   #1269
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yes, Mike, Network Fail managed to cock up yet again.

It is well known that the steam and smoke being emitted by a steam loco has the potential to set off false alarms in terminus stations, so standard procedure is that parts of the alarm system are disabled during the period that the loco is on site.

However, Network Failed to do so yesterday, thus causing unnecessary inconvenience (with one passenger panicked) and multiple train journeys delayed. All because of the wrong type of steam!

You couldn't make it up!

The obvious answer is to ban steam locos on the railways.

Just like the solution to the problem of stabbings - banning sales of knives to under 18s - has been so successful in reducing knife based crimes.

The genius judge who, reportedly, suggested round ended knives as a less dangerous sort of knife that might help to solve the problem should probably be promoted to somewhere restful and away form decision making. There he could come up with new designs for other potential weapons. Redesigned screwdrivers perhaps. Or maybe even some sort of social development that identifies the source of the apparently growing knife problem and goes some way towards eliminating it.

That's probably too much to expect these days. Especially at it seems not to have been something practised much in recent decades.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3826008)   #1270
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not best time to be going through the tunnel to Ster gate at Spa....
Attached Thumbnails
5E9549C3-5640-419C-B832-A8E6C2BECB99.jpeg  
Old 1 Jun 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3826016)   #1271
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Right Mike, I won't go then.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3826022)   #1272
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I bet th eau isn't rouge...
Old 1 Jun 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3826023)   #1273
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I bet th eau isn't rouge...

It does look a tad moist. A bit like Birmingham recently.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3826028)   #1274
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It does look a tad moist. A bit like Birmingham recently.
Even more so, like here. The council snowploughs have even been out - ploughing mud!
Old 1 Jun 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3826044)   #1275
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In our local village. Hope the hood is double duck.
Attached Thumbnails
15278659629171786871479.jpg