Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Nov 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3863000)   #26
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I saw some of the photos - doesn't look too different really does it? What's important though is what it sounds like - that was a big part of the appeal of DTM - the sheer brutal sound of the V8's was incredible. I hope the turbo engines aren't too quiet.
The sound of the new BMW turbo engine for the 2019 DTM season
Old 13 Nov 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3863001)   #27
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like DRS is scrapped for 2019. This can be judged by the look of rear wings however Rene Rast asked about it on the Instagram, wrote that it's not decided yet 'I think.' Personally, I would be so happy if DRS was scrapped.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3863006)   #28
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
It looks like DRS is scrapped for 2019. This can be judged by the look of rear wings however Rene Rast asked about it on the Instagram, wrote that it's not decided yet 'I think.' Personally, I would be so happy if DRS was scrapped.
If DRS was implemented more like IndyCar's push-to-pass, where there's limited usage and it can be used offensively or defensively at will without having to be within a second of another car, I could live with it.

Gimmicks are not bad if implemented correctly, and systems like this should be looked at as tactical options rather than as something to guarantee more overtaking.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3863008)   #29
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!

One of the better sounding turbo-4's I've ever heard. Especially within the last couple decades.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3863031)   #30
winkle
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wallington
winkle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I saw some of the photos - doesn't look too different really does it? What's important though is what it sounds like - that was a big part of the appeal of DTM - the sheer brutal sound of the V8's was incredible. I hope the turbo engines aren't too quiet.
I agree, on downshift up at druids at brands its like artillery going off.

I must have missed something though I remember rumours of 2.0 turbo engines and a merge with japan super GTs but didn't realise they were coming in next year.

I hope formula milk float continues to generate virtually no interest and Mercedes return to DTM in the future.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3863035)   #31
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
probably old news and audi have probably put something online elsewhere as well, but nico muller posted a bit of trackside audi noise on insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqF8fR_HkrL/
Old 13 Nov 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3863082)   #32
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
New air tunnels in the bonnet to cope with intercooler (I suspect) and real airbox instead of false one in the BMW "noses" - for sure. As for the sound - I was lucky to attend DTM and GT3 races some years ago and the latter sounded louder to me. Straight 4T, naturally, should have another "character" but not that bad. GT500 fans are happy I think.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 00:22 (Ref:3868174)   #33
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hoping to attend the Zolder Round, will Aston Martin be in by then?
Old 11 Dec 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3869528)   #34
JD Media
Racer

Netherlands
Zandvoort
JD Media should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Hoping to attend the Zolder Round, will Aston Martin be in by then?
My guess is that it will be too early, but who knows... For sure they should be racing at Brands, a 'UK car' with a UK driver, should be good for public
Old 12 Dec 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3869689)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
I was lucky to attend DTM and GT3 races some years ago and the latter sounded louder to me.
From my experience DTM is much louder than GT3 - the only GT3 that came close is probably the Z4. To be fair though some of the GT3 cars do sound superb (Aston, Bentley, Lexus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Media View Post
My guess is that it will be too early, but who knows... For sure they should be racing at Brands, a 'UK car' with a UK driver, should be good for public
I hope the Astons are there for Brands Hatch - the grids will be a bit thin without them.

Interesting that Mercedes were at the DTM test - what was the point of that? What do they stand to gain from doing it?
Old 12 Dec 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3869704)   #36
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting that Mercedes were at the DTM test - what was the point of that? What do they stand to gain from doing it?
They are testing because this is part of their deal with ITR, DTM's promoter. That's why they are running, they just need to complete their commitments. But maybe they are testing some Aston drivers too
Old 13 Dec 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3869843)   #37
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They are testing because this is part of their deal with ITR, DTM's promoter. That's why they are running, they just need to complete their commitments.
Ah - that would make sense - I guess they have commitments until the end of the year.

Quote:
But maybe they are testing some Aston drivers too
That's a possibility - who was in the cars?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3869854)   #38
Matt K
Veteran

Jake Dennis, Jake Hughes, Thomas Preining and Ferdinand Habsburg were in the cars. I don't know if any of them may head to Aston and DTM in general but I'd say never say never
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3869859)   #39
JD Media
Racer

Netherlands
Zandvoort
JD Media should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Jake Dennis, Jake Hughes, Thomas Preining and Ferdinand Habsburg were in the cars. I don't know if any of them may head to Aston and DTM in general but I'd say never say never
Jake Dennis for sure should be one of the drivers As he is racing an Aston Martin for the last season and the Sim-driver from RedBullRacing Aston Martin.

Preining is an odd one there, but one of a sudden he is no Porsche factory/junior driver anymore? It's a bit weird after winning the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland and just losing out on the Supercup title... Might have got a better offer somewhere else?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3869893)   #40
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Media View Post
Jake Dennis for sure should be one of the drivers As he is racing an Aston Martin for the last season and the Sim-driver from RedBullRacing Aston Martin.
So we may have the first Aston driver in DTM
Old 13 Dec 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3869914)   #41
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any news about aston effort?
if it will be for real a 6 cars effeort
Old 13 Dec 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3869920)   #42
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
any news about aston effort?
if it will be for real a 6 cars effeort
2 cars first, later 4
Old 16 Dec 2018, 06:48 (Ref:3870621)   #43
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I can think of Maxime Martin and Nicki Thiim getting seats with Aston
Old 16 Dec 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3870633)   #44
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I can think of Maxime Martin and Nicki Thiim getting seats with Aston
They are very probable options. It depends on Aston Martin's involvement in the series. If they consider putting their factory drivers in, then Maxime Martin and Nicki Thiim are very likely.

I also wonder what Paul di Resta's plans are. Most of former Mercedes DTM drivers have something announced already whereas I haven't heard anything about Paul so far.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3870646)   #45
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Is Di Resta still doing F1 commentary?
Old 2 Jan 2019, 22:19 (Ref:3873721)   #46
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Rockenfeller thinks the new cars will be 2-3 seconds a lap quicker than the old ones Impressive stuff if true!
Old 3 Jan 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3873747)   #47
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Rockenfeller thinks the new cars will be 2-3 seconds a lap quicker than the old ones Impressive stuff if true!
He also says that V8 had only 500 hp but we all know they were "boosted" by a wider restrictor a season or two ago. So, this advertising stuff is not a reliable source for information.

PS At Goodwood FoS DTM cars were not impressive at all in terms of results. Even a NASCAR Truck was faster IIRC.

Last edited by helgi; 3 Jan 2019 at 07:01.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3873752)   #48
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
He also says that V8 had only 500 hp but we all know they were "boosted" by a wider restrictor a season or two ago. So, this advertising stuff is not a reliable source for information.
I guess that's true - they'll always talk up the new stuff. We'll see for sure how the cars compare once we get the season underway!

Quote:
PS At Goodwood FoS DTM cars were not impressive at all in terms of results. Even a NASCAR Truck was faster IIRC.
Times at FOS aren't really meaningful, unless the cars are in the 'shootout' then it's hard to know how hard the cars are being pushed. Some stop and do burnouts or doughnuts for example. I don't think I've ever seen a DTM car 'on it' at FOS - they've just done demo runs rather than go for times.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3873755)   #49
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
Times at FOS aren't really meaningful, unless the cars are in the 'shootout' then it's hard to know how hard the cars are being pushed. Some stop and do burnouts or doughnuts for example. I don't think I've ever seen a DTM car 'on it' at FOS - they've just done demo runs rather than go for times.
Mark Skinner (Toyota Tundra) in 2018 shootout did 48.25. Ricky Collard (of course, it was a first outing at the wheel of BMW M4 DTM, wasn't it?) did 50.82. Frank Biela (A4 DTM) was even slower than Andrew Jordan (BMW 125) - clearly was too careful not to scratch the racing car. Maybe that's why they haven't left any recollections. For sure, it's only a show, but still has a bit of info in it.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3874922)   #50
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
So, they are still planning "united" race in Japan in November. Looks like it's going to be Fuji, but they still in debate. As for a European round, DTM bosses are not going to held more than 9 calendar events, so they need to host an "international" round at Hockenheim in October. And I'm sure GT500 teams are not able to arrive. So, just another joke from the DTM klein circus.