Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2002, 16:26 (Ref:220693)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D@mn! I think the Honda engine sucks again!!

Q) How do you feel about the new Honda engine?

TS) It sounds really beautiful with a great exhaust noise! It feels very smooth. Because the engine is a new concept, Honda knows it still has plenty of development in hand.

This says it all. Well I think that they will need a little more than luck to get a good finish this year. If development goes as it did last year then they might be fighting BAR for 6th or 7th. By the way JV and GF have had similar statements dealing with the motor.

Q) What do you hope to achieve this season?

GF) Above all I want to do well and try and win my first race in F1 and get as many good results as possible. It won't be easy, because as usual there are a lot of very competitive teams. The car is reasonably good. We had some early problems with reliability and with the power of the engine but have made good steps in testing.

JV's interview

Are you happy with the way things have gone with the new car?

I’m happy with the mechanical side of the new car. I haven’t driven with the new aero package yet. And we’re still waiting for the Melbourne engine too so that’s where the big question mark is.

Do you think the team will be able to break into the top three this year?

I really don’t know. I really hope so. The car felt good in my first few laps in it, a definite improvement on last year. I’m very positive about that. Mechanically it’s an improvement so I’m very positive about that.

As I said, I still haven’t tried the aero package and I haven’t tested the new engine so until then, it is difficult to say.

The drivers seem to be happy with their chassis. This means that basically the aero package and the ENGINE is all that is in question.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 16:52 (Ref:220705)   #2
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks it but I still expect Jordan to do well. I read an article in "F1 Racing" about how poorly honda were doing.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 17:45 (Ref:220726)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Neilap, mate.

Don't be so angry !
Old 22 Feb 2002, 17:48 (Ref:220728)   #4
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neilap

You're right it's going to suck BIG TIME. What's wrong with Honda? They're using junior engineers (for training) and it shows....Come on Honda produce an engine so that JV can race......
Old 22 Feb 2002, 18:07 (Ref:220733)   #5
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They must have done a good job in 2000, just look at JV's amazing starts. If only they could do it again
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 22 Feb 2002, 20:31 (Ref:220831)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I must try to remind myself that there are trees, birds and fresh air. Think of the good things in life. I have my health. A descent job. My girl loves me. She cooks me Philippine food. We enjoy quiet evenings together. These are the important things in life.
Well all I have to say is "DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT IS LIKE TO SEE YOUR FAVORITE MANUFACTURER FAIL... AGAIN?" Ok so I am being a bit dramatic.
On the serious side. They were really bragging or should I say they had really high hopes for the new motor. More power, low COG all the good stuff. If the drivers feel it is weak. All that wide angle gibberish means nothing. Since it is a work in progress I expect to see a big jump in the cars performance in the middle of the year. Just around the time that everyone else does. So what does that mean. They might just be the same place they started. Honda really needs to get with it. Hell, steal from BMW, see what they do. Anything! After all, BAR and Jordan Ford just does not sound right!
Old 22 Feb 2002, 21:34 (Ref:220896)   #7
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
They must have done a good job in 2000, just look at JV's amazing starts. If only they could do it again
JV amazing starts were due to JV's talent not Honda's engine Do I wish they would get rid of traction control
Old 22 Feb 2002, 21:38 (Ref:220901)   #8
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
BAR and Jordan Ford just does not sound right!
No, they'd call it BAR Cosworth or Jordan Cosworth wouldn't they? It sounds better.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 23:29 (Ref:221022)   #9
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt worry about the motor so much. The rule of thumb for F1 is .1sec improvement for each additional 10hp. So even if they magically found 50hp overnight, that would only be a half-second a lap improvement.
Plus I dont think they are that far off. If BMW has 860hp, Honda probably has about 830hp. Not much difference really.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 00:48 (Ref:221058)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
You know, I like your outlook. Just that I was hoping the drivers would say about the Honda the same that Williams drivers said about the BMW. ...the motor is great but the chassis needs a little work.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 00:55 (Ref:221063)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I should not reply to my post but after reading it. It sounds stupid! Hell Honda is developing a motor. It is a work in progress. That is much better than a chassis not being able to handle the power of the motor. I am sure with time the hp and driveability will improve.
Old 23 Feb 2002, 06:02 (Ref:221105)   #12
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers usuallly don't say they are very pleased with the engine when it is still in development stage or in testing. They always say 'its not enough.. need to work harder,bluhbluhbluh.. mainly to push enginners and manufacture brass. so whenever Senna was interviewed by Japanese media, he never said the engine was excellent even when Honda was #1 engine then. I heard that he used media to keep putting pressure on HOnda. I cannot wait for Melborne. We will find out thier progress finally!
Old 23 Feb 2002, 11:41 (Ref:221185)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honda will eventually get it right. They have the money, expertise and experience to get the job done. But today's F1 circle is difficult to win in.

Plus, they are not in a race-winning combination as yet.