Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2002, 10:36 (Ref:249726)   #1
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2002 Ferrari sound

Did anyone else notice the sound of the new Ferrari? Maybe it's a change in the on-board microphones, but that car makes a high-end fizz noise that I've not heard before... can anyone who was actually there confirm that?
Old 2 Apr 2002, 11:54 (Ref:249779)   #2
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
actually it sounded more like a fiat punto than a ferrari
Old 2 Apr 2002, 12:00 (Ref:249784)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That distinctive whining sound that one hears when a fab new Ferrari is introduced and starts winning straight away! That's the Anti-Ferrari lobby getting hot and flustered as usual!

Can't say I noticed the engine note particularly, but was not watching at home with decent sound - will listen out next time.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 12:12 (Ref:249801)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the in-car shots, there was a decided difference in the sound between the F2002 and the F2001. I'm guessing its an acoustical issue, and it might be affected by a myriad of factors; sound level seetings in the video equipment; microphone settings; microphone placement relative to the exhaust ports. The sound seemed more mechanical, like a sewing machine than throaty.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 17:00 (Ref:250091)   #5
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides the reasons mentioned by EERO, I would like to point that the 2002 and 2001 Ferrari have very different exhaust terminals. The 2001 exhaust pipes are flush with the bodywork, whereas in the 2002 the pipes extend significantly from the bodywork, looking like chimneys (guess: about 120 mm-long). This would be enough to make the cars to sound quite distinctively.

This is also interesting: it was not only microphone / TV-captured sounds that were distinct. The public in the circuit also noticed that something with the sound was not the same. A friend of mine was in Interlagos at the end of the Reta Oposta (Grandstand G) and he made interesting comments about the noise of the F2002.

He said that the difference between the 2002 and 2001 models was particularly noticeable under breaking / gearing down. On his words, the 2002 engine "sort of does not drop the revs, it keeps on high pitch all time under breaking". He also mentioned the "fizzing", that he called "Schumacher's Ferrari sounded more like a hornet than Barrichello's".

And, as a former proud owner of a Fiat Punto, I felt extremely flattered by Calais words above! ("actually it sounded more like a Fiat Punto than a Ferrari")

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 2 Apr 2002, 20:40 (Ref:250292)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure it's the pop up exhausts. Soon everyone else will have them. However, Ferrari engines are works of art, especially in terms of their music.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 20:46 (Ref:250302)   #7
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it is a beautiful car - the severe drop at the back where usually the box would be but now they have it all integrated engine/gearbox package i think - this could explain the thing Muzza was on about when he said it doesnt drop revs when it breaks.

i definately noticed it on the (few but top quality) in-car shots - especially that delightful reverse cockpit view!!!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 2 Apr 2002, 20:50 (Ref:250308)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the new Ferrari sounded great. I can't wait for Imola.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 23:20 (Ref:250442)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed it too.but i thought it was from a different type of mic.Yes,it definitely sounded like a sewing machine,prob because all the exaust sound is directed back and masked by the hot air outlet funnels .So most of the sound picked up by the the airbox mounted camera is just a clean sounding intake resonance(?).I don't think 'fizz' would be the right word to describe it-you could here the indevidual pulses very cleanly.The reving during downchanging is interesting...Does anyone remember the downchange noise of an '89 Maclaren?They souned like they had some kind of rev limiter(?)set for about 12000 while they went down through the (sequential?)gears as fast as they could.I don't remember any other cars sounding remotely like it back then.They were going down 5 gears in about one and a half seconds-with a gearstick!
Old 3 Apr 2002, 01:25 (Ref:250495)   #10
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
Besides the reasons mentioned by EERO, I would like to point that the 2002 and 2001 Ferrari have very different exhaust terminals. The 2001 exhaust pipes are flush with the bodywork, whereas in the 2002 the pipes extend significantly from the bodywork, looking like chimneys (guess: about 120 mm-long). This would be enough to make the cars to sound quite distinctively.

Muzza
I have clarified in another thread that Ferrari had started introducing the periscope exhaust since 1998 and one by one the other teams followed them...most of the teams are using them now except for a few like Arrows which still uses the flush with the body type exhaust.

It's in this thread here

The engine sounds i reckon must have come from the awesome work of it's engine. Try lookin at the pic here. Look at how those exhaust pipes tangled before becoming as one.

One more distinctive aspect is that the F2002 rear body frame are much more lowered then their previous models. I can't imagine if they are still sporting the 90degrees V angle...my guess is that the angle must be near to what the Renault uses.

Last edited by Jukebox; 3 Apr 2002 at 01:27.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 05:32 (Ref:250588)   #11
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

I have clarified in another thread that Ferrari had started introducing the periscope exhaust since 1998 and one by one the other teams followed them...most of the teams are using them now except for a few like Arrows which still uses the flush with the body type exhaust.

To clarify his clarification, Jukebox has a different definition of what a periscope exhaust is. I still dont know what he defines as a "periscope exhaust".
Old 3 Apr 2002, 05:48 (Ref:250597)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Let me clarify this more clearly BD...i'm using the exact words from where i got the info from.

In 1998, Ferrari introduced exhausts that exited through the top of the engine cover above the gearbox (These are commonly called periscope exhausts due to their shape). Previously, all teams had the exhausts exiting through the diffuser, but this could alter the amount of downforce developed depending on whether the driver was on the throttle or not. Most teams have now copied the design. Cars that use the periscope exhausts often have gold or silver film protecting the suspension and lower rear wing from the high temperatures of the exhausts gases. Michael Schumacher retired from the 2000 Monaco GP because the heat from the exhausts cracked his suspension, so effectively protecting the suspension from this heat is crucial.

The shape of the pipes that comes from inside of the car is what persicope exhaust got it's name from.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 13:54 (Ref:250904)   #13
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Jukebox,

Yes, I know that for years Formula 1 cars have featured exhaust pipes ending on the top of the rear body work. And yes, it was Ferrari who first develop this concept.

However, the F2002 exhaust teminals and geometry are quite different from last year's model. Take a look at pictures of both cars as they raced in Brazil (I have not seen pictures of Schumacher's on qualifying trim - Friday and Saturday - so I am referring to race day configuration only. And that's when we all noticed this unusual Ferrari engine sound).

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 3 Apr 2002, 17:55 (Ref:251037)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Indeed, the 2002 exhauses do LITERALLY pop up like periscopes. The REST of the field have what Ferrari pioneered in, what, 1998?? The LAUNCH F2002 is quite simply the prettiest F1 car for a long time. The fins infront of the rear wheels, I have to say, detract from the shape rather.

However, with regards sound, nothing of the modern era can beat the 2000 Mercedes. Astonishing sounding car.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 01:18 (Ref:251442)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
I have a pic of the F2002 with the periscope exhaust.. click here for the pic

What caught my eye most is the coke bottle shaped rear body frame with a narrow gearbox and low engine cover (cannot be 90degrees V angle engine).

Last edited by Jukebox; 4 Apr 2002 at 01:19.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 01:27 (Ref:251445)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that struck me about the unusual noises, was that the gear changes were almost imperceptible, they are obviously happening in only a few milliseconds, even quicker than before, I would imagine.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 01:49 (Ref:251450)   #17
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Rumour says that they have integrated the castings for the engine and gearbox into one solid block and it is said that
they removed the conventional clutch and instead use the electro-hydraulic differential to perform the operation of the standard clutch.

From the inside camera of TGF's car we can see that when the gear changes, there are two lights that blinks on his steering wheel and true senna12..it's difficult to diffenciate when does the gear changes just from hearing.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 05:39 (Ref:251527)   #18
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, quite difficult. The acceleration note was almost seamless. Quite impressive I thought.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 06:36 (Ref:251549)   #19
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think any F1 multimedia site might have some sound samples?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 4 Apr 2002, 10:24 (Ref:251683)   #20
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the subject of the almost imperceptible gear changes - there must be something going on with the clutch(es) because you can't simply have less of a rev difference between gears unless the gears are closer in ratio, which would require more than the seven speeds allowed. So, maybe the system creates a short period of controlled slip between gears - effectively giving a "half" ratio between gears. This is the scenario that many have suggested could be the cause of Ron Dennis' concern, since continuosly variable transmissions are banned. However... A certain amount of time is allowed to achieve a gear change, and during that period certain things are allowed that wouldn't normally be (such as computer controlled modulation of the throttle to avoid lock-up or wheel spin, which was allowed before traction control came back) so maybe this is why it is legal. Anyhow, it all happens in fractions of a second. And, that "half" gear is of no practical use other than for smoothing the ride because it is achieved at the expense of wasting heat (energy) into the clutch.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 14:07 (Ref:251792)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I was thinking to start a thread about this when I jumped in here...

From where I was standing, close to the end of the straight, in front of the pitlane - apart from the Colombian crowd's shouts - the sound of TGF's ferrari was unique, but RB's was different from all the others cars too.

In addition, I have to say that the Renault sound was different from the others too.

It was a dissapointment to hear that my beloved BMWs were sounding like the BARs and Jaguars...
Old 4 Apr 2002, 14:14 (Ref:251793)   #22
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
high end fizz, eh? if u ask me, they have bent some rules and added a turbo, and BOV

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 Apr 2002, 14:52 (Ref:251818)   #23
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what electronics are used in the broadcast signal chain? eg, preamps, compressors etc?

What is BOV??

Hey, for real hardcore rule-bending, let us not forget Toyota's beautiful efforts with rallycar turbo air intakes... if they can work some of that magic in F1 then they'll be hitting the front sooner than expected
Old 4 Apr 2002, 15:58 (Ref:251849)   #24
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blow Off Valve.

The F2002 sounded to me like last years Mercedes from the onboard shot.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 18:23 (Ref:251973)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

I DID notice that TGF was using the auto gears both up AND down. Do all cars do this now?? I thought some still used manual downshifting??