Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 25 May 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3079161)   #1
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuji Speedway - New Layout

Hello guys, I would like to present to you a new layout of Fuji Speedway.

Combining the old Fuji layout and the current layout with some new turns, it'll make sure it will host a NASCAR race there as well as a 12-hour Endurance race made for Grand-Am and Super GT.

The elevation changes remain on the "Tilke" F1 Layout as well as the old layout. The banking on the oval on Turn 1 (Daiichi) will be at 30 degrees, while Turns 2 and 3 are banked at 10 degrees and 15 degrees, respectively.

If you want to see it, please give me some criticism and comments.
Attached Thumbnails
New Fuji Speedway 2.png  
Old 26 May 2012, 02:40 (Ref:3079346)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm going to be perfectly honest here. I have no love for what Tilke did to Fuji (or Hockenheim for that matter). I would have MUCH preferred that they had taken a look at the run-offs, and where they couldn't really add space, add serious tire barriers or Tecpro barriers.

I'm sorry, but I don't think your edit is a particular improvement over what is there presently. There's no need to chop up 100R as well; Tilke obliterated 300R already with that technical final sector.

The redone banked corner is a nice gesture, but I could take it or leave it, and the FIA would never approve something like that new now for road racing.
Old 26 May 2012, 06:29 (Ref:3079368)   #3
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then, is there a way to improve this track?
Old 28 May 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3080644)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Taking a look, I genuinely just think opening out alot of the tighter hairpins would do a great deal.

Selby
Old 28 May 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3080648)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Here we go:

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
fuji edit.png  
Old 28 May 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3080720)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Annnd a little simulation video of my redesign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6EJ7u97C5U

Selby
Old 28 May 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3080800)   #7
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Here we go:

Selby
Can I use that track design of yours?

But anyways, since you can make some tracks on rFactor, can you make Fuji Speedway as a roval like Daytona?
Old 29 May 2012, 09:17 (Ref:3081027)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Not a problem mate. I'll probably do a few more fundamentals to it (ie. tarmac run-off, tarmac'd pit area, few grandstands etc), then i'll upload.

I could certainly give it a shot... Give me the layout (of the infield) you'd like (my one, current one, older one), and perhaps an image of the proposed oval layout, and i'll do my best.

It won't be 100% accurate, i'm afraid. I can basically get the track layout 95% accurate, but the elevations I have to watch onboard footage and do my best. I have tried using a GPS online piece of software, but it's a bit patchy. The elevations all come out, but not smoothened. I could perhaps just smooth all the nodes... I am now talking to myself

Selby
Old 29 May 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3081200)   #9
MagVanisher
Veteran

Here's a modified version of the track. I used half of your design for the F1 course, Selby.

So anyway, this is the redesigned layout of Fuji Speedway.
Attached Thumbnails
New Fuji Speedway 3.png  
Old 31 May 2012, 01:45 (Ref:3082207)   #10
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Honestly, Fuji never did anything for me. I'm not sure that any tweaks would really save it for me. I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with it, but it just never clicked with me.
Old 31 May 2012, 02:30 (Ref:3082213)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
MV, after consideration, here are my specific thoughts on your edited layout, and what I would do with it.

I think I'd make each of your first three turns a bit more semi-circular. Your Turn 3, I would have be more open, with the exit rejoining the existing track right after the hairpin first corner. From there, I would keep the existing run up to and through 100R (and not have that extra, huge knob there).

On that long run after the hairpin following 100R, I would ease the first curve on that run some, by bringing the apex inward slightly. Finally, I have one main change for your infield section. After the hairpin that brings you into the infield, I would just have a long left-hander, and by-pass that chicane-like left/right/left complex. This would probably slightly ease the right-hander at the end of that sequence of tight corners as well.

IceMan, are you talking about the present Fuji? Here's a look at the old Fuji.

Porsche 956 onboard (1983):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2KEvUWCGLA

Nissan Skyline GT-R onboard (c. 1970):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9Gsni54D8

I can tell you, just trying to get the old 300R right in Gran Turismo 4 was quite a challenge, but also a hell of a lot of fun.

Selby, your edit looks alright. The simple final sector is nice. Personally though, I think I'd leave the first few corners, and the hairpin right after 100R, as they are presently.
Old 31 May 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3082341)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Cheers, mate.

Could you draw up your design roughly, please?

Btw, I am working on this. I just need some external help on linking the 3 versions of the track together. Currently i'm trying to drive the long GP track, and when I rejoin the smaller GP track, I get launched. Not ideal!

Looks really nice, though.. I'll do a few screenshots soon.

Selby
Old 31 May 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3082726)   #13
MagVanisher
Veteran

Good luck, Purist.

I hope you can make Fuji what intended to be... as a roval!
Old 2 Jun 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3083858)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Fuji Speedway is a different kind of beast when compared to all other tracks in the world really because the original version was so over-the-top with its steeply banked corner done in just the wrong way that a car approaching it would have to duck down into the banking instead of just glide smoothly into it.

I'm afraid the optimal version of Fuji Speedway can only ever exist on a racing simulator because in reality, it would be much too dangerous as, sadly, the late 60s until the early 70s have shown. And in racesims, the original version must be the one to choose if you have more than one option available, for all the same reasons.

I'm not a racesim guy anymore since it has gotten too annoying in the late 90s that I could not race on my own tracks because no design tools were available, and by the time they became available, I was not interested anymore and busy with other things.

Anyway, not only the banking was dangerous, but the challenging 300R, too.
A runoff problem was the reason why they installed this chicane of 2 s-curves in short succession at the corner. That chicane was similar to the one on the backstretch at Watkins Glen in that it could still be driven through rather fast. Unfortunately, Tilke felt the only thing to keep from 300R was the chicane which he tightened without really any need to do so.

And as we reminisce, discuss and modify busily, Mount Fuji patiently sits back in the distance and watches us in bewilderment.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3087879)   #15
MagVanisher
Veteran

Say, any updates on remodeling Fuji Speedway?
Old 10 Jun 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3088483)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I've sent it over to a friend who is quite busy with a few projects. I'll ask for an update

Selby
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3088942)   #17
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
I've sent it over to a friend who is quite busy with a few projects. I'll ask for an update

Selby
Thanks! Man, I thought that this project is abandoned...
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3088948)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I hope not. Obviously it's now in the hands of someone else but I do hope not.

Selby
Old 13 Jun 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3090143)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I think he's having another crack at it tonight.

Selby
Old 13 Jun 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3090277)   #20
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
I think he's having another crack at it tonight.

Selby
Okay, I can't wait for it!
Old 26 Jun 2012, 21:01 (Ref:3098650)   #21
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess we could introduce more overtaking points. I don't like editing existing tracks, but here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking of:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuji_speedway_edit_2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	37512

But it's really only a rough one. It's still only 5.200 meters (3.23 miles) long.

bio
Old 5 Jul 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3102328)   #22
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
I guess we could introduce more overtaking points. I don't like editing existing tracks, but here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking of:

Attachment 37512

But it's really only a rough one. It's still only 5.200 meters (3.23 miles) long.

bio
Nice attempt, but I want to make Fuji Speedway as an oval course with a road course within.

Still, I wonder what happened to Selby's friend on remaking Fuji Speedway?
Old 5 Jul 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3102334)   #23
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
He gave me a little advice so I guess i'll have a try myself!

Selby
Old 9 Jul 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3104037)   #24
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Just an update on this...

Tried to use my track builder over the weekend, but the license has expired, and the site where I need to update the license has gone down with no signs of going back up. Could be a long wait. Can't say i'm too impressed.

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3108789)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Update: My friend's sending the project to me now. He's had a look and apparently fixed it..!

Selby