Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3768793)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
IMSA : 2019

With this news, I see it fitting to start this thread.

Conti Tire exits after 2018 season, wonder who will be the new supplier, or will it be open?

http://www.continentaltire.com/news/...nd-2018-season
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3768794)   #2
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
We can dream but open tyre competition ain't gonna happen. Hoosier is Conti owned nowadays correct? If so, that leaves Michelin, Pirelli and Dunlop I guess.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3768799)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
We can dream but open tyre competition ain't gonna happen. Hoosier is Conti owned nowadays correct? If so, that leaves Michelin, Pirelli and Dunlop I guess.
It might... Probably not though. Yes, Hoosier builds the Conti race tires. Dunlop and Pirelli have tiny market shares here, although Dunlop is a Goodyear company. Michelin would be the obvious answer to me.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3768805)   #4
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts: Iit will still be a single tire class for P class and GTD. Now the Conti defenders often said to the Conti critics that the crap tires were built to a spec that the series organisers wanted. So even if Michelin was awarded the contract, I won't hold my breath of a better tire built. The P2 cars from WEC were 2-3 seconds faster at COTA this year than DPi.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3768806)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
My thoughts: Iit will still be a single tire class for P class and GTD. Now the Conti defenders often said to the Conti critics that the crap tires were built to a spec that the series organisers wanted. So even if Michelin was awarded the contract, I won't hold my breath of a better tire built. The P2 cars from WEC were 2-3 seconds faster at COTA this year than DPi.
I don't think Michelin would take up the contract if it was built to a spec that wasn't their own.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3768803)   #6
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Is Bridgestone/Firestone an option? Yokohama? Hankook?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3768796)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'd prefer Dunlop outta those, simply for the giant sidewall markings.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3768800)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Signs are pointing towards Michelin.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3768802)   #9
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
What signs?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3768816)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
What signs?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3768808)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...-tire-industry

The big 3 in North America are Goodyear/Dunlop, Bridgestone/Firestone and Michelin, with over 50%. Conti is fourth with just 6%.

Goodyear is in Nascar and Firestone in IndyCar, so it makes sense for Michelin to become an IMSA partner.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Dunlop or Bridgestone made a decent bid.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:09 (Ref:3768812)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If Michelin gets the contract, I'd assume their current P2 tires (or an updated version of them) would be the tire of choice for the P class. They would probably employ the current GTE tire strategy in the future as well for GTD.

Also, this end of the Conti contract means the end of the sponsorship for the 2nd tier championship. I wonder if the new tire contractor will be required to sponsor said championship or if an outside sponsor will be found.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3768815)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
They would sponsor what is now the CTSCC and Prototype Challenge.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3768819)   #14
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
SC365 and Racer Magazine also reporting the IMSA press release on Michelin replacing Continental.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3768827)   #15
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just got the Michelin confirmation in my mailbox.

"DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Sept. 20, 2017) - The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) today announced that Michelin will become the “Official Tire of IMSA” in its premier series – the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and its two major Challenge series – beginning in 2019.

"The multi-year agreement calls for Michelin tires to be on every Prototype (P) and GT Daytona (GTD) race car competing in the WeatherTech Championship in addition to its continued participation in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class. The GTLM class will continue to be open to multiple tire manufacturers.

"The 2019 IMSA Michelin SportsCar Challenge will feature the Grand Sport (GS) class for cars built to international GT4 specifications and Touring Car for TCR-spec race cars. The IMSA Prototype Challenge Presented by Mazda, featuring LMP3 race cars, also will ride on Michelins."

Maybe a bunch of drivers got together and said, "If you want to run a real international-quality series you will need to use real tires."

(I forget which driver said in a post-race interview "In Europe the tires are softer and they last longer.")

This could be really helpful if IMSA DPi rules are going to be folded into LMP1-L rules later on, too ... teams will be able to use the same set-ups on either side of the pond.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3768828)   #16
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This actually kind of bums me out. I think Continental did a lot for the series and the Continental tire challenge is fantastic the way it is. In the WTSCC i can't see performance levels going up much just because it's going to say Michelin instead of Continental, spec is spec after all, but perhaps I'm wrong. If conti could keep the CTSCC and Michelin had WTSCC that would be cool...

On the bright side since GTLM is still open tire maybe Conti can try and come back with a customer program, but that's a tough sell going from being a money making spec supplier to a money spending development tire.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3768831)   #17
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As far as I know the drivers have hated Conti tires since before the merger (I listened to one of the Taylor bothers joking with other drivers and crew about how he had better traction with his street tires, one lucky day back in 2012 (?) when I caught a tram at Homestead that was full of drivers and crew.)

Conti probably offered good money ... so I assume Michelin did too. And Michelin has the budget to do as much advertising as Conti could.

I really think that the series needed to improve the tires. Lap times in WeatherTech will likely come down, and since it seems the series wants to be seen as on par with WEC ... IMSA needs to show comparable performance.

Conti --- the crazy driving, big fields, and adventurous driving won't change.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3768839)   #18
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Very true, having never driven on them it could be a totally different story!
Old 20 Sep 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3768856)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Conti probably offered good money ... so I assume Michelin did too. And Michelin has the budget to do as much advertising as Conti could.
Michelin has a much larger market share in North America than Conti, so they probably have a much larger marketing budget.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3768866)   #20
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Michelin has a much larger market share in North America than Conti, so they probably have a much larger marketing budget.

Always about the money, to be sure.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3768876)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
For tires yes, but Continental is quite a bit larger company than Michelin. Tires is not Conti's core business anymore as their focus is on electronics and interior bits since Siemens and Johnson Controls have exited the automotive market.

...not sure what that has to do with the topic, but I typed it already.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3768826)   #22
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
https://www.imsa.com/news/092017/ims...beginning-2019

No more ST.

"The 2019 IMSA Michelin SportsCar Challenge will feature the Grand Sport (GS) class for cars built to international GT4 specifications and Touring Car for TCR-spec race cars."
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3768835)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Michelin signed on remarkably quickly after the announcement. Was this primarily an IMSA decision, but they had the good grace to allow Continental to do the withdrawal announcement first?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3768836)   #24
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
That's correct.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3768838)   #25
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Michelin signed on remarkably quickly after the announcement. Was this primarily an IMSA decision, but they had the good grace to allow Continental to do the withdrawal announcement first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
That's correct.
IMSA opened up the tire contract for tenders back in March.

L.P.