Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Nov 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2325559)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jr Speaks Out

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...yhoo&type=lgns

FORT WORTH, Texas – Dale Earnhardt Jr. went from race car driver to philosopher Friday at Texas Motor Speedway. And in the process, stock car racing's favorite son likely ruffled quite a few feathers in NASCAR's front office.

In one of his most poignant interviews ever, Earnhardt confirmed what a lot of people – most notably disenchanted or former NASCAR fans – have been thinking for a long time.

Namely, NASCAR has grown too big, the season is too long and the watered-down result, particularly the Chase for the Sprint Cup, is hurting the sport dramatically, with potentially even more damage to come as the world remains in economic crisis.

With rumors swirling that current Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Craftsman Truck Series teams will lay off close to 1,000 employees at season's end, as well as reports that several teams across the sport's top three series are likely to close their doors or merge with others, this is one of the most challenging times NASCAR has ever faced

In a year that the sanctioning body was supposed to get back to its roots, it may be time for NASCAR to take an even longer, harder look at itself, Earnhardt said.

Foremost in his mind: the length of the season.

"We have saturated the market with race after race after race," Earnhardt said. "The NFL, they do such a great job. I hate to keep comparing to them and using them as examples, but they do the best job.

"They give you just enough to keep you wanting more. The season ends before you want it to. You get just enough to get excited and then it's all over and there's such a long wait. The model works."

With expansion both geographically and event-wise, the bloated NASCAR schedule has, in effect, become a victim of its own success.

"We have basically a very similar reaction that baseball, hockey, a lot of other sports do that have long enduring seasons," Earnhardt said. "There's lulls and inactivity between the fan and the sport itself at times. There's no way to fix that."

But perhaps Earnhardt's most pointed comment was a swipe at what could be construed as greed and excess, not only by the sanctioning body, but drivers, team owners and practically everyone associated with the sport.

"We're driven by the ability to go make another dollar and make more money and there's no way we would ever trim it down," Earnhardt said with a shrug. "When we were a 28-race schedule, the sport was giving you just enough to get really get excited about the next season.

"When we were racing at 12 o'clock, people were racing home from church to get to see the start of the race. We've just made it too easy and too much. We sort of lost a lot of the substance that we really had before and the character of the sport I think has waned a little bit, but its part of the times, too."

Even though it would mean a significant drop in revenue, Earnhardt would love to see NASCAR scale back. But he isn't holding his breath it'll happen any time soon.

"I don't think [NASCAR's current problems are] all our fault," he said. "I think it has a lot to do with a lot of other things going on, like the temperature of the world out there and the economy.

"I think the model that the NFL has is the perfect one and I feel like that's really our best bet for the most amount of success and to maintain it I think also that's the best way."

Unfortunately, Earnhardt said, NASCAR has already passed the point of no return.

"No way we would ever trim the schedule back," he said. "There's no way we would change what we really already have here."

Junior was equally vociferous in his thoughts on the Chase for the Sprint Cup format and how it has played out over its five-year existence, particularly this season.

Since NASCAR chairman Brian France introduced the Chase to the sport in 2004, it's gone through several so-called "tweaks," including expanding the qualifying field and rewarding drivers with bonus points for wins, among other things.

As much as fans are increasingly clamoring for even more significant change in the Chase format – if not scrapping it outright – now is the time for patience, not pestilence, Earnhardt said.

"I think it's not a good idea to go making a bunch of changes, especially with the Chase," Earnhardt said. "How do we understand what to change and how to make it better if we can't watch it and look at it for seven years or eight years and see how it's working and really get a good look at how it is working and not working?

"How can we really know what to change and make the right change? We shouldn't keep changing and changing until we stumble on the right spot and the right options and the right ways to have things."

More changes could further alienate more fans, something NASCAR can ill afford in a time when so many seats at races are going unfilled; when media outlets are scaling back – if not totally eliminating – coverage of the sport; and opportunities for up-and-coming drivers are drying up quicker than an ice-cream cone in the desert.

"It is kind of foolish to want to make changes," Earnhardt said. "This is kind of how we got in this spot in the first place. It's just going to snowball into more and more corruption and disagreement if we continue to change and change and change just because a guy has such a great year.

"I think the playoff atmosphere is better and I do enjoy it. We need to really kind of watch it happen for a while before we know what kind of change to make."

Given the economy, NASCAR might not have to change things. The problem may very well take care of itself by default, albeit it might be a long process, Earnhardt said.

"I think they should really remain the same for a while so we can get a good [look]," he said. "Especially with the turbulence with the economy right now, we all need to be really kind of watching and looking in different areas to make sure things are working right.

"We've got to make sure we're doing all the right things to keep the sport healthy and get through the tough times that we're going to have in the next year. I think we leave the things as they are."

Earnhardt Jr. may not be the eldest statesman in the NASCAR garage, but when he speaks, fans listen. The question is, will NASCAR?
Old 2 Nov 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2325940)   #2
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR is not renound for its hearing.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2330846)   #3
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin88
NASCAR is not renound for its hearing.
But I wish it was.
So many people have had great ideas, spoke about them.
And nothing happens.

I kinda wish drivers, and owners had more say in the running of the competion that they compete in.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2330864)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they could do alot to help the schedule- no double dates at tracks and add 2 road courses road atlanta and road america.
and then there is the car..
Old 9 Nov 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2331010)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I would do with the Nascar schedule would be to reduce all the current tracks to one race each with the exception of Daytona, Talladega, Darlington, Lowes, Bristol and Martinsville, and I would add New Jersey as a third road course.

Thats makes it 30 races + the 2 non-championship weekends at Lowes and Daytona.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 9 Nov 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2331125)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would cut non champion ship races... as fun as they are it is still a costly measure and this is part of the problem.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2331168)   #7
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One non championship race is fine IMO.

You want changes. How about getting something done with testing. Both during and pre season. Make it so that everyone can attend, and that everyone has the same about of time on track. I know they are trying, but they got a long way to go.

Though not in this article, JR has made mention of cutting back the distance in some of the races. I love this idea, as some of these tracks don't make for a good 500, but a 400 would be awsome. NWS, and CWTS races would be smaller too, giving those guys a break as well.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2333114)   #8
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that one of the most ridiculous things about the NASCAR schedule is the order of the races. For example, at the beginning of the season, they go from Florida (Daytona) to California / Nevada (Fontana / Las Vegas) and back to Georgia (Atlanta) in the space of four weeks. Then at the end of the season we go from Georgia to Texas to Arizona and back to Florida, another four week stretch which requires teams to cross the entire country twice.

Surely there is a better way to organise the schedule so that teams aren't forced to transport their cars and equipment enormous distances. NHRA has what they call the "Western Swing", so that teams aren't travelling from the East Coast to the West Coast and back again with such frequency. Kind of making a country-wide tour throughout the season would make far more sense than going back and forth, which requires massive amounts of fuel.

These are the things that NASCAR should be looking at if they are serious about reducing costs. If they don't take it seriously, then they are going to see thinning entry lists throughout these tough economic times.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2334163)   #9
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the long season, as I described in an earlier post, it's the double races at boring tracks that people hate...

Jr mentions the old 28 race schedule, but before that there was a 51 race schedule and that seemed to work..

Baseball might have a short-ish season, but there is 162 games in that time.

I love having racing on every weekend almost all year, and a short off season to wait until the next.

edit: just doing a little reading, apparantly Nascar's television audience is second only to the NFL, that's pretty good.

Last edited by StuiE; 13 Nov 2008 at 10:48.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 13 Nov 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2334196)   #10
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doing some more reading, the NFL regular season is only 16 games, what a joke. Not sure if the ratings figures I saw were weekly, or over a whole NFL season vs a whole Nascar season, no so good if it's the latter.

Anyway, I hate anything that restricts supply of anything (unless it benefits me, of course ) Such as OPEC oil giants slowing oil production to keep demand (and price) high, the new Yankees Stadium with less seats than the old one, so ticket prices are even further into the sky than they were before, or franchise team systems like in V8 supercars (Jeff Burton mentioned he would like this for Nascar), etc etc, drives demand and therefore prices up, and profits for whoever is taking the money. If Nascar made a (say) 25-30 race schedule, watch the ticket prices (and probably accomodation and related expenses) skyrocket.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 18 Nov 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2336873)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is all very demanding the yearly schedule for drivers and teams there is no doubt but if you was Nascar, filling a stadium full of spectators who also sometimes goes and spend a small fortune in team merchandice virtually every week you would try and cram in as many meetings as possible as the income is huge-to loose some of those weekends would see a big drop in revenue for Nascar. It is pretty much down to the teams/drivers themselves to voice their concerns as a united voice otherwise little will change if it continues to be down to the apparent money making Nascar concern and earning millions of $$$$$'s each weekend!