Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Mar 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2142273)   #51
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Agreed. Without the Red Bull sponsorship I think they should have looked at re-designing the entire colour-scheme rather than just slapping on some different decals.

The Red Bull car as used by Thompson in 2006 worked very well.

The Respol orange looks even more out of place on the bonnet
I know SEAT would be loathe to do it, but they way to fix it is to probably wipe out all the yellow on the nose and boot and replace it with the Repsol orange.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2142307)   #52
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble is, yellow is their signature colour. For a brand that isn't particularly large, having an unmistakable image is very important. You see no end of SEAT mechandise being worn at BTCC meetings, because it is really eye-catching. Then again, a livery that is closer to that of the Racing Engineering car in GP2 would look better I think.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2142309)   #53
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
kingo86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chevy blue and white used in the WTCC and hopefully RObertshaws cars in BTCC is very eye catching. And i think is very simple but effective and one of the best liverys of the modern area.

The Willaims Laguna's from 95 (yellow and blue) and then the green 98/99 were also very noticable.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2142349)   #54
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB
Trouble is, yellow is their signature colour. For a brand that isn't particularly large, having an unmistakable image is very important. You see no end of SEAT mechandise being worn at BTCC meetings, because it is really eye-catching. Then again, a livery that is closer to that of the Racing Engineering car in GP2 would look better I think.
True - but SEAT's house colour is actually the yellow you see on the BTCC cars (and on the SEAT Italia cars, specifically 2006), not the WTCC cars. The WTCC yellow is actually the Red Bull logo yellow - the official SEAT yellow is a paler shade.

And if you look at the ETCC Toledo posted earlier - the yellow was almost non-existant replaced by mostly blue.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2142360)   #55
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the SEAT livery's have generally been quite ugly, like their car.

BMW's WTCC livery is quite cool though. I like the fact they put the drivers' flags on the side. Makes each car unique and looks quite elegant... not sure it really works with the Brazilian flag, Priaulx's and Zanardi's look the best.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2142438)   #56
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The BMW's scrape the barrel of what I'd call a livery in my opinion. It's just a white car with the flags stretched down the side of the bonnet - all the design work's done before they got there.

I think the Chevrolet is the best example of the most coherent livery in the WTCC (N-Technology Honda pending).

I don't doubt SEAT could probably pull together a livery if they had to, the thing is they don't because unlike most teams in the WTCC, they actually seem to have a lot of sponsors! They're a bit stuck with their sponsors brands, and pretty much all of them clash horribly! White, Yellow, Orange, Red, Blue, Green - considering the colours they've got to work with, I can't really say they've got an easy job on their hands - and have probably come out of it the best they can.

awrb, if you keep insulting the Léon, you're just going to get on my bad side
Old 2 Mar 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2142578)   #57
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
awrb, if you keep insulting the Léon, you're just going to get on my bad side
Sorry Mr. Hazard.

I'm not really a SEAT fan, Plato's fault actually. Quite liked them in teh Gene-Diefenbacher day, But Plato and strange styling ruined them for me.

The livery could be worse i s'pose. Proteam have a pretty good one going on though, looks quite, understated and cool. Overall, i don't think WTCC is that godd for liverys this year, bring on BTCC 2008, then we should have some beauties.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2142601)   #58
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard

I don't doubt SEAT could probably pull together a livery if they had to, the thing is they don't because unlike most teams in the WTCC, they actually seem to have a lot of sponsors! They're a bit stuck with their sponsors brands, and pretty much all of them clash horribly! White, Yellow, Orange, Red, Blue, Green - considering the colours they've got to work with, I can't really say they've got an easy job on their hands - and have probably come out of it the best they can.
They should split their sponsor then, would also help the spectators.
Some in classical blue metallic Red Bull colours, some in dark blue and orange Repsol livery and the others in the same Valeo paintjob the LAA corvette had last year in LMS.

I know, I know, ain't gonna happen...
Old 3 Mar 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2143478)   #59
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seat should scrap the yellow colour alltogether, it is just worst colour there is for the car, or, for anything.

This is much better, silver:
Old 3 Mar 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2143638)   #60
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Re SEAT branding. The yellow is actually their colour. Hard to tell, but the Red Bull yellow has a little more orange to it and is only used on the circle on the door.

The yellow is the brand colour for SEAT Sport, but if you look at any SEAT dealer or non-motorsport branding, you will see the house colours are Silver, Red and White. I think you could do a lot with those colours and make something quite distinctive. However, as someone says, they 'actually have' sponsors. I do agree, that the WTCC livery is quite a mess really. The BTCC is a bit 'stale' as well

I think the Valeo cars must have every colour on the car except purple!. Red, Blue, Orangle, White, Yellow, Green, Grey and Black! Just missing some sponsorship from UPS and they would be sorted!
Old 3 Mar 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2143640)   #61
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
They should split their sponsor then, would also help the spectators.
Some in classical blue metallic Red Bull colours, some in dark blue and orange Repsol livery and the others in the same Valeo paintjob the LAA corvette had last year in LMS.

I know, I know, ain't gonna happen...
Its quite easy to use the same colour splits, but different colours to create a different look for each car, but still look like a team. its been done in the past with some of the Supercar v8 and the most noticeable example of that in recent years are the Audi A4 DTM cars, with Red Bull, S-Line, Siemens and Castrol sponsorship. but all using the same colour breaks
Old 4 Mar 2008, 00:43 (Ref:2143727)   #62
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They wouldn't even have to split sponsors. They could still have all the sponsors logos on all the cars, just do away with the mixed background colors. If you look at the picture in post #50, I wouldn't mind the Repsol logo if they just replaced the yellow with blue. Or the blue with yellow.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2144167)   #63
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
Its quite easy to use the same colour splits, but different colours to create a different look for each car, but still look like a team. its been done in the past with some of the Supercar v8 and the most noticeable example of that in recent years are the Audi A4 DTM cars, with Red Bull, S-Line, Siemens and Castrol sponsorship. but all using the same colour breaks
I'd imagine DTM has much better coverage in Europe (Germany especially) and a smaller grid, so greater concentration of awareness than the more varied WTCC. Red Bull, Repsol et al have probably signed up on the premise of having their logos on all 5 SEAT cars regardless of who is driving them. In the same way, Valeo have probably signed up to main sponsor just 2 cars.

It's an identity though - they are very recognisable and that's a huge - and rare - thing for a smallish company as SEAT, so I doubt they'd want to change their livery, regardless of whether they look good or not. It's all about product placement and recognition, which they definately have.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2144307)   #64
Roddas123
Rookie

Roddas123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW M1

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/4...bf7bd3a4a5.jpg

I remeber them pounding around Silverstone in the 6 hr races..... Great livery.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2144313)   #65
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please keep it to Touring Cars.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2144330)   #66
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Cleland's '92 Cavalier stands out as a great livery, imo.
http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...nd_snett_w.jpg
Old 4 Mar 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2144461)   #67
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really can't go much further than the Texaco and Kaliber RS500s;

Texaco
Kaliber

Simple, classy but each highly distinctive, especially the Texaco livery which is an alltime motorsport classic.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2144507)   #68
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the seat toledo livery in the other thread is a superb livery compared to most seats.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2145196)   #69
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view some of the best touring car liveries include the Vitaphone DTM Opel Astra, the Bastos Rover SD1 and the ETCC Jaguars of the early 80s. Amongst the worst would inlude most of SEATs offerings, a number of recent BTCC Vauxhall liveries and I can't say that the BTCC Volvo liveries of the mid 90s wee particularly evocative.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2145337)   #70
SimonRR
Rookie

SimonRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I adore the understated BMW paint jobs - I think the same-but-different idea is surperb!

Plus of course the awesome Aviva matching paint job for Macau last .

Old 6 Mar 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2145683)   #71
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BMWs are simple yet effective. I've always liked Priaulx's BMW with the variations of Union Jack livery (both in ETCC and WTCC)!

Also the 1999 BTCC Honda Accord stands out for me, really cool!
Old 6 Mar 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2145731)   #72
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I can't say that the BTCC Volvo liveries of the mid 90s wee particularly evocative.
I found the silver and blue S40 a very classy livery.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2149560)   #73
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the scheme of the BMW's in WTCC are
Old 11 Mar 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2149610)   #74
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Aviva BMW has one of the best looking yellow seen on a car livery

Ciao Marco
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2150027)   #75
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the lastest VXR Vectra scheme doesn't look that good IMO, a bit plain compared to 07.

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/b...tra+2.jpg.html