Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Nov 2000, 14:54 (Ref:50162)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ok folks the season has now been and gone..so what were the highlights for the year for you? ..be it Supertouring or V8's..come on share them with us..who knows we may have forgotten about that smart little move someone pulled off..or the couragous effort on someone's part.

for me there were highlights in V8's this year..seeing young Steven Ellery and Todd kelly win their first V8 supercar races was a real thrill and there will surely be many more to come from both.

seeing Mark larkham and Paul Morris amazingly get away with minor injuries after their horror crash at Oran Park was the most relieving thing of the year in my mind and the vision of the crash will stay in my mind for a long while yet.

Visiting Dick johnsons workshop in queensland was a highlight for me (even though Im a brovky fan through and through)..was great to see the place up close and personal.

seeing Nathan Pretty get the opportunity to drive for HRT was great to see on a personal level as i know him and think he is a big talent.

wandering through the pits at Winton and managing to talk to sevral drivers was a great thrill and to see the work going on in the pits was a real eye opener.

and i guess there was many more ..but they have escaped me now..

so come on..was there a highlight in BTCC or V8's or some other touring car series for you this year..let us know
Old 28 Nov 2000, 15:58 (Ref:50170)   #2
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this year, highlights were the Phillip Island race as I have been on TV all year because of. I was waving the chequered flag, and so I have been on RPM and all of channel 10s footage all year. Thanks Channel 10, then again I have gotten it for the last couple of years as well.

Paul Stokell getting his drives. He has driven my car for a test session, and my dad was passenger for those laps, he reckons Paul is amazing. But then again you would have to be to be a triple Gold Star Winner wouldn't you.

Well I didn't have too many highlights this year as I was more involved with my team and not with officiating at the Tourers. I was supposed to be Chief Grid Marshal at the Lites round at Phillip Island, and I am always on the grid for the Tourers at Phillip Island and Sandown, although my uncle is the clerk of course for the Sandown Round, and my Dad is the National Clerk of Course at the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix and the Clerk of Course at the Phillip Island round. He was also the Clerk of Course at the Phillip Island Lites round this year. And he is the assistant Clerk of Course with powers over the Clerk of Course (he is really an advisor to the Clerk of Course) at the Adelaide 500, and the Adelaide Le Mans Race on New Years. So I still am highly involved, well through my family anyway.
Old 29 Nov 2000, 05:13 (Ref:50256)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How could I possibly go past R3 of the Lites at Lakeside. The battle between Besnard and Wakefield was just awesome... everything else in terms of V8s/STs was quite tame in comparision..
Old 29 Nov 2000, 10:26 (Ref:50271)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash Test,

Yes, the Lakeside round for the Lites was excellent! WW (see I'm capable of learning) and the French fello in the Stone Bros Ford really got amongst it with Canto holding his end up as well. It was the first time I was enthralled in a Lites race and believe they should stop televising the series if that race is indicative as nobody would bother watching the V8 Supercars if they had competition like this..
Old 29 Nov 2000, 10:50 (Ref:50276)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where to begin

An amazing year for me really. It started off quite normal, motorsport-wise, with a standard trip to Eastern Creek for the V8s and it went up from there.

A media pass at Oran Park, Honda Indy and Bathurst along with many many photos (37 rolls from just those 3 events) and I have now been published in Motorsport News 3 times (thank you Falcadore for getting me that one) and finally and the best, was the seven interviews I did at Surfers.
Old 29 Nov 2000, 11:23 (Ref:50285)   #6
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The highlight would have to be my first big event as a flaggy, the GMC 400 at Canberra, Wicked as those cars came buzzing past you, mere inches away.

Racing wise, how could you go past the Bathurst race. I spent the whole day, yelling, criing, laughing, celebrating, crying again........ What a rip snorter.
Old 29 Nov 2000, 11:33 (Ref:50287)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hoffy, so you're a flaggy, good for you, decent people they are. I've tried many, many different jobs at race meetings and being a flaggy is great fun. In fact, it is easily in the top 2 jobs, by a good margin.

I really wanted to go to Canberra, but i was in the middle off a job change so I couldn't get the time off. Whereabouts were you, did you get to see much?
Old 30 Nov 2000, 04:13 (Ref:50400)   #8
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The highlight of the year was Larko coming back arfter that huge crash and winning a race . Also anytime someone else one a race besides HRT.
Didnt go to to many race meetings this year. Saving all my pennies for Lemans adelaide.
Ive been a flaggie a few times as well over the years.
Best position was at the top of bitupave hill at amaroo at the 92 touring car round. Best view of the circuit from up there.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 07:54 (Ref:50416)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also a highlight for me was the Lites round at Lakeside, didn't WW and Besnard put on a show! I wonder how many of the right people noticed that their times were well clear of anyone else but closely matched to each other. Bear in mind of course, Besnard had far better equipment and a straight line advantage, so great it was visible.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 07:58 (Ref:50418)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I nearly forgot, the highlight for me in Touring Cars was the Gold Coast Indy. Larry Perkins and Steve Ellery passed me down the pit straight so fast I thought I was standing still, yet I had my foot to the floor, pulling 6500rpm in 4th gear!

PS. my advice to you, don't buy any low mileage Honda demos, for a while.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 11:16 (Ref:50439)   #11
hoffy
Racer

Dave, I was at point 11.9, the chicane across from the Chinese Embassy. Had a bit of action during the weekend, like Paul Morris and some poor unfortunate in a Mustang beaching it on the tyre barrier!!!!

I didnt enjoy having to chip the ice off the ripple strip first thing in the morning tho
Old 1 Dec 2000, 01:23 (Ref:50576)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David, what was the FIV doing on the track anyways? Also, did they give you one of those nice beige shirts that everyone is wearing?
Old 2 Dec 2000, 21:28 (Ref:50844)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hoffy, Yeah Canberra is a bit like that in winter, why the V8s go there in June is a bit hard to understand.

Crash, the FIVs were ordered to scramble everytime there was a red flag. If the truth were to be known, most FIV drivers sit in the vehicle, on standby, hoping something will happen, so we can have a bit of a speed. Everybody got two of those nice beige shirts and a baseball cap.
Old 3 Dec 2000, 04:27 (Ref:50877)   #14
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David, you didn't offer me a ride in the FIV?
And you got 2 shirts...wow, all I got was...um...er...

hoffy, you flagging again at next year's race? If so, see you there. And keep up the good work.
Old 3 Dec 2000, 06:42 (Ref:50887)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
David: I still say you should take a Honda 4WD for a long long test drive before next years race if you want to beat Big Rev Trev Llewellyn for outright speed in the FIV race
Old 3 Dec 2000, 18:17 (Ref:50938)   #16
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlights of the 2000 Touring Car season. The obvious beginning would be actually being present at a BTCC meeting for the first time ever - at Silverstone. First time I'd seen it via any method other than Season Review videos...

As for races, Super Touring's final ever race was hard to beat, as the atmosphere the whole day, right through until 11pm, was awesome.
Old 4 Dec 2000, 22:53 (Ref:51134)   #17
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either of the night races... great stuff!

Not a 'highlight' as such (or maybe it was ) but Thompson backing up the tree at Dingle Dell will stick in my mind for years to come - as will the memory of that huge fat ******* who shat himself when he saw the car coming and dived head first into a ditch cos he thought Thompson was gonna pay him a little visit...!!
Old 6 Dec 2000, 09:47 (Ref:51322)   #18
hoffy
Racer

Yes Elipino, the plan is to go back to Canberra next year. Its a long way from Adelaide, but I have family there, so it makes the trip a little more worthwhile.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 18:24 (Ref:51524)   #19
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think that's a little harsh about the camermen at Dingle Dell - considering one of them was pretty badly hurt after being hit and thenburied by the entire tyre wall...

I think everyone including THompson had bowl problems with that accident!!
Old 7 Dec 2000, 18:57 (Ref:51525)   #20
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who mentioned a cameraman ?! I was talking about the geezer stood next to us on the infield - right in line for the original angle of attach from oafman

And, as you were over that side of the track, Dan, maybe you could tell me who the nutter who ran across the track after the shunt was ? A brave man keeping in mind the way Muller was coming through there under yellows...!
Old 8 Dec 2000, 19:12 (Ref:51641)   #21
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, didn't realise that there was a plump chicken on the inside, that's on big act of cowardice diving for cover there!!

Nutter across track was probably TJ.. he's quick off the mark and a bit brave - maybe too quick for some!! But he's marshalled for 30 years now and has yet to be flattened - and I do know he's saved at least one life because of his speed to an incident..

But you raise an interesting point - would Muller have been able to stop if needed?? Waved yellow flags mean that a driver should be in full control of his vehicle and be able to stop - something that drivers don't do!!
Old 9 Dec 2000, 17:10 (Ref:51742)   #22
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having seen the season review now and having watched the various lines taken by MULLER!! - not to mention the number of wheels on the track through Dingle Dell - I'd doubt that he would have stopped there if needed.

Mind you, it's not for us to decide, is it?