Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Dec 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4087768)   #1976
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the Vuse logos no?

just my personal opinion, but i dont distinguish between vape cigs or rolled tobacco. actually think i dislike the vape stuff more as it seem to be primarily targeted towards a new and younger market.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 20:20 (Ref:4087782)   #1977
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In that case I wholly disagree and you can probably guess why. I was a smoker for many years but changed to vaping 7 years ago. Not distinguishing between the two is for me, one of life's annoying things. Whatever you may think of vaping, its not cigarette smoking and vapes are not cigarettes and vaping is not tobacco-related. Oh, and I'm 64....

Rant over - let's move on.....
Old 8 Dec 2021, 21:15 (Ref:4087790)   #1978
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ayse, although I appreciate that you gave up smoking and took up vaping, and I know that vaping is not as harmful as, say, cigarette smoking. However, most vaping products do use nicotine and other substances that are addictive and not particularly good for one.

So, from my perspective, I believe that if tobacco is banned, so should vaping. And I witnessed hospital staff having to provide nicotine patches to vapers last year during my extended stay as patients were forbidden to leave their wards, so they couldn't go outside for a quick drag. Same applied to smokers, obviously.

The ridiculous thing is that doctors, nurses and admin staff were still able to pop outside to satisfy their cravings, regretfully including my surgeon.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 21:43 (Ref:4087792)   #1979
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
In that case I wholly disagree and you can probably guess why. I was a smoker for many years but changed to vaping 7 years ago. Not distinguishing between the two is for me, one of life's annoying things. Whatever you may think of vaping, its not cigarette smoking and vapes are not cigarettes and vaping is not tobacco-related. Oh, and I'm 64....

Rant over - let's move on.....
thats a fair distinction. vape products dont necessarily have any tobacco in them.

was more trying to talk about the advertising side of things, specifically advertising a product overseas while not really being allowed to advertise for that same product in their home communities.

these companies have a terrible track record in how they have advertised their other products (specifically to children and young adults) so i do support there being major restrictions in how they promote any of their replacement products.

but honestly, its probably just more disappointment that the team i like the most is really no different then any other corporation with their hand out to anyone who will put money in it.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 21:54 (Ref:4087793)   #1980
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thats a fair distinction. vape products dont necessarily have any tobacco in them.

was more trying to talk about the advertising side of things, specifically advertising a product overseas while not really being allowed to advertise for that same product in their home communities.

these companies have a terrible track record in how they have advertised their other products (specifically to children and young adults) so i do support there being major restrictions in how they promote any of their replacement products.

but honestly, its probably just more disappointment that the team i like the most is really no different then any other corporation with their hand out to anyone who will put money in it.

Vuse must be allowed to advertise in the US,as well as overseas. The logo is on the sidepod of one of the McLaren IndyCars.

Old 8 Dec 2021, 22:32 (Ref:4087800)   #1981
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Vuse must be allowed to advertise in the US,as well as overseas. The logo is on the sidepod of one of the McLaren IndyCars.
I can't speak for outside of the US, but I don't think US law regulates advertisements of vape products (as long as they are not burning tobacco). Rather it is probably more about nicotine delivery. Of course my personal opinion is we will eventually see that vaping is unhealthy and not a good substitute for tobacco.

Richard
Old 8 Dec 2021, 22:50 (Ref:4087802)   #1982
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Probably pretty similar in Canada then or at least moving in the direction to allow.

Things are changing so my bad.:

Still a bit disappointed that Mclaren take this money...had hoped, naively i suppose, that the budget cap would have led to the teams being more selective with their sponsorship deals.

Anyways, I'll take some advice, end my rants, and also move on.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 22:50 (Ref:4087803)   #1983
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I'm not going to bang on about it but vape products may have nicotine in them, but not all of them and I know of no vape products that contain tobacco. It may be a fine distinction to some as I obviously know that nicotine is the addictive element. Everyone is entitled to their views and I may just be being pedantic I know..... I'm also derailing the thread through my pickiness......
Old 8 Dec 2021, 23:01 (Ref:4087804)   #1984
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's only right, given the discussions about about the legitimacy of venues, to mention the artist.

https://www.dazeddigital.com/life-cu...ing-livery-art

Tantawy is an exciting emerging artist – born in Cairo and based in Dubai, her creative practice comes from years experimenting in the arts, includes both traditional and contemporary techniques, from oil painting to street art and spraypainting.

Tantawy shares that her love of motorsport was first inspired by watching Brazilian racing driver and three-time Formula One champion Ayrton Senna. “It was Senna who got me hooked on F1 – his passion, his fearlessness, and his focus. I’ve lost count of how many times I've watched that documentary, but I was just drawn to him, the sport and the way he made it so relatable, and human with the way he reacted.”

“Also, my son has raced on our local motocross track since he was six – he’s been doing really well and has even won a few championships!” she adds.
Old 26 Dec 2021, 17:23 (Ref:4091368)   #1985
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting video shared on YouTube in recent days…

Here

It absolutely makes you wonder how McLaren got it sooooo wrong with the return to Honda…
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Dec 2021, 00:38 (Ref:4091393)   #1986
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Interesting video shared on YouTube in recent days…

Here

It absolutely makes you wonder how McLaren got it sooooo wrong with the return to Honda…
Great interview.
But hearing Steve talking about what things were like when he went to Ferrari and what was happening back at McLaren when he returned there makes it clear that the atmosphere in the team is reflected on the success on the track.

It also takes time to build a team. In every successful team, what the internal environment is like in the years leading up to a successful year, is a critical component leading to success.
So what was going on at McLaren during the hybrid Honda era?
Old 27 Dec 2021, 00:51 (Ref:4091394)   #1987
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Great interview.
But hearing Steve talking about what things were like when he went to Ferrari and what was happening back at McLaren when he returned there makes it clear that the atmosphere in the team is reflected on the success on the track.

It also takes time to build a team. In every successful team, what the internal environment is like in the years leading up to a successful year, is a critical component leading to success.
It is absolutely hard to fathom.. especially if the team players themselves were so up in arms at the book author’s take on a very innovative and thrilling time to be in F1, and at McLaren especially, with many people making light work. The boys and girls who did the actual work know what’s what.

The Haynes manual sounds like an interesting read… time for some (online) shopping..

The longer interview was put up yesterday too.
Old 27 Dec 2021, 01:00 (Ref:4091400)   #1988
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Great interview.

If you watch the Ron Dennis interview on Youtube, he states that he was not prepared to spend all the money in the F1 team. I think that this lack of "commitment" infected the racing side of McLaren.
Old 27 Dec 2021, 07:24 (Ref:4091414)   #1989
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If you watch the Ron Dennis interview on Youtube, he states that he was not prepared to spend all the money in the F1 team. I think that this lack of "commitment" infected the racing side of McLaren.
Throw in the fact that they had lost the Vodafone sponsorship for 2014 and had no naming / primary sponsorship of note, entered as plain McLaren (/Mercedes).
Old 28 Dec 2021, 07:17 (Ref:4091521)   #1990
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I can remember when he came back in as team principal (having stepped aside after the Ferrari-gate drama) and they were looking for new primary sponsors he made the comment that sponsors weren't prepared to pay the price required to be with a top level team....

it just seemed to me that he was out of step with how 'his team' had fallen off the pointy end of the 'Marlboro' and 'West' days. They struggled for wins and even podiums, and sponsors were no longer tobacco companies who had almost bottomless budgets....
Old 28 Dec 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4091531)   #1991
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Both good points, wonder if the intention was to devalue the company
(Value = Turnover or Profit x Multiplier) in order to gain control of the
Team / payout other partners for less money ?
Old 28 Dec 2021, 21:37 (Ref:4091598)   #1992
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I can remember when he came back in as team principal (having stepped aside after the Ferrari-gate drama) and they were looking for new primary sponsors he made the comment that sponsors weren't prepared to pay the price required to be with a top level team....

it just seemed to me that he was out of step with how 'his team' had fallen off the pointy end of the 'Marlboro' and 'West' days. They struggled for wins and even podiums, and sponsors were no longer tobacco companies who had almost bottomless budgets....
ROI is probably less important to a cigarette company when the motor racing team is the primary form of marketing communications.
F1 works globally... lots of eyeballs... lots of brand recognition from similar design cars... best people... best teams... lots of airtime...

Then you cant advertise tobacco products, well you now can if you call them vapes..., and ROI is back on the table... and the dollars/euros/pounds/drachmas are not as easily discovered.

Unless you are an energy drink company with a similar anti-ROI model, at least initially, until success becomes so strong, the payments for constructor success and subsidiary sponsors contributes significantly to running Team A while Team B keeps other non sugar water brands alive..

Whats next? Who's next? Who is the next big F1 investor?
Old 12 Mar 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4102230)   #1993
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Colton Herta has been signed to a testing and development deal by McLaren.

https://racer.com/2022/03/12/mclaren...elopment-deal/
Old 12 Mar 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4102238)   #1994
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Racing for the enemy is he? Guessing the Colton/McLaren meetings won't occur in the AMSP hauler Indy weekends
Old 12 Mar 2022, 18:40 (Ref:4102239)   #1995
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Racing for the enemy is he? Guessing the Colton/McLaren meetings won't occur in the AMSP hauler Indy weekends

Apparently Michael Andretti is ok with the deal.

https://racer.com/2022/03/12/andrett...laren-f1-deal/
Old 16 Mar 2022, 14:12 (Ref:4102784)   #1996
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to see Colton finally getting an F1 deal, even if it’s only test and development
Old 20 Mar 2022, 10:19 (Ref:4103447)   #1997
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not a good quali session for them, lets hope race pace is better
Old 20 Mar 2022, 17:04 (Ref:4103507)   #1998
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well...
Old 20 Mar 2022, 22:25 (Ref:4103597)   #1999
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Sadly very much not.....Painful to watch.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 06:11 (Ref:4103788)   #2000
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
McLaren can compete
Should the title be changed back?

I'm not sure what the plan is for Key & Seidl. Seidl has announced an "investigation" into the car's poor performance.

There is perhaps still setup work to unlock before necessarily giving up this car and drawing up a B-spec sidepods & floor (perhaps a Ferrari copy)?

McLaren have quite an unusual floor design around the venturi inlets, so I do think it would be a good idea for them to try out the Ferrari style floor & sidepoods in CFD and if a Ferrari copy design is more promising they could forget upgrading the current car and focus on bringing out a B-spec with different bodywork for after the summer break...

It could be that McLaren's performance targets were too low, so it could be that they met their targets in Barcelona and were happy, but then came to Bahrain only to find everyone else started going much faster!

James Key:
Quote:
The car itself as a platform is working well. Mechanically it’s fine, Aerodynamically it does what it’s supposed to do.

The drivers aren’t finding the extremes that we had in last year’s car, in terms of balance and difficulty. It’s a lot more consistent in that respect.

We need more grip – aerodynamically, mechanically.
Andreas Seidl:
Quote:
We miss around a second to Mercedes. That’s the best reference for us we can have. And that’s what we’re focusing on as a team.

Back at the MTC, we’ll kick-off a detailed investigation and analysis of our performance here in Bahrain today.
Lando Norris:
Quote:
It's a sin to complain about the engines, because Mercedes finished the race in 3rd and 4th places. But it certainly doesn’t help—I think we definitely don’t have enough power compared to the rest of the guys.
References:
https://the-race.com/formula-1/is-mc...p-or-a-crisis/
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2022/...ix-qualifying/

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 22 Mar 2022 at 06:18.