Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Aug 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3922339)   #2311
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I raced, I never really worried too much about how the car looked; I always felt that it was more important how quickly it went.

However, the girlfriend of a clubmans' car, a Lotus 7 if I remember well, always made sure that after she had finished making his car spick and span, would come over to my car and give it a good polish. The girlfriend, who later married the driver, used to work at a restaurant/coffee bar that I helped manage so I actually met her before they got together.

We seemed to always be at the same meetings, and she always made a point of inspecting the car before I went to the collection area, and would check that all the fasteners were properly closed up, and that everything externally was ship-shape. A bit of a talisman, if you like. Of course, on one of the rare times that she wasn't around, nobody checked the car before I went out to practice, and so nobody noticed that the bonnet fasteners were undone. Result, one fibreglass bonnet went flying, luckily without damage to either the bonnet or the car.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3922341)   #2312
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
....... Wanted a pb of course, but just could not brave it enough, this car needs a driver 1/2 my age!......
I don't buy that; I believe in the old saying 'old people are brave and dangerous as they have less to lose' - you just need to get your head in the right place. Maybe a decent sports psycho would help....
Old 11 Aug 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3922345)   #2313
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah!
The mind set of the driver on the day, on the start line has more effect than bhp on the outcome!
What I didn't realise was I was only a few 1/10's slower than the fearsome Fiesta of Mike Manning.
That might have given me the incentive, where I had surrendered to last just after the finals arrived.

Maybe I don't take it seriously enough, but I do feel a bit disappointed not to have gone quicker today in such ideal conditions.
Old 17 Aug 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3923080)   #2314
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About 30 years ago this little car was featured in Motorsport Express with the pink Karmann Ghia body on/Alan Humberstone and this week it is in the same rag, but in current hill climb form.
Fame but no fortune...