Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Jan 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2367600)   #16
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
brendonwood1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
One car that I don't know much about is the Lancia Delta Integrale that John Farrell entered and practiced at Wanneroo's 1990 ATCC round. The car was withdrawn with no qualifying time recorded, and did not appear at any other ATCC meeting. Not sure whether it appeared at any other Wanneroo race meetings.
It wasn't Greg Carr's rally car doing a one-off appearance by any chance?
Old 8 Jan 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2367606)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
What about South African cars like the Ford Perana and GM's answer with the 327 ci Firenza something I would love to build a replica of.
Presumably none of these were ever built in sufficient numbers for homologation in any of the European saloon categories? Ford SA also built a Sierra XR8- a 5-door Sierra packing a 5-litre Mustang V8...
http://www.damseauxmotorsport.co.za/...chive_10_m.jpg
250 built to homologate it for the local saloon series- they'd have needed to build 5000 for international use...
Old 8 Jan 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2367608)   #18
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Another oddity- this Merc 280SE seen at Brno in '82
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-06-13-047.jpg
Second attempt at this with the right pic this time....

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-06-13-016.jpg
Old 8 Jan 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2367611)   #19
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
OK, looks like I was able to work out the attachment system after all.
Here's the Bluebird in the 1985 Nissan Sport 500 at Wellington. The race winning Francevic/Delcourt Volvo 240T is in the same photo.
Photo is from Raceyear 1985 annual.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebird Volvo 2.jpg  
Old 8 Jan 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2367617)   #20
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
And here's a scan from the same annual showing the Pinepac Falcon XE driven by Dick Johnson leading the field away.
Attached Thumbnails
Falcon 2.jpg  
Old 8 Jan 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2367629)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
I'm guessing that it was brought here to gauge its performance against TTA's fleet of Corollas to see whether the Celica would be more competitive against Nissan's Gazelle in the 2L class.
The New Zealand Toyota team was also supposedly looking at running in the 1988 2-Litre Australian Touring Car Championship, their entry thought crucial in ensuring the series survival, which ultimatly didn't happen.

Wasn't Chris Amon part of the line-up at the time?
Old 8 Jan 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2367668)   #22
collector
Rookie

Germany
somewhere behind the mountain
collector should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Barry/Heyer Fiat in the background of this shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021817...7606882601980/

I can't swear to this, but I think I've seen a mention of one being raced in Germany? Likewise I've got a vague memory of seeing something about a Gazelle (or 200SX?) raced in Germany as well at some point
In the old Deutsche Produktionswagenmeisterschaft started Fiat Abarth 130 TC. It was for sale at ebay some months ago:
ebay

Herman Behrens run in those days a Nissan Silvia.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2367774)   #23
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Interesting stuff on the Camaro Jesper especially the fact that GM homolgated the model, may be useful info one day. GM did do a racing version very limited run of the car with a version of the engine called Pontiac although I think it was still based on the small block chevy, it also had stuff like an aluminium prop and bigger discs and a 6 speed box (from memory)maybe they were planning to run this until they saw the Ford Mercury Merkur (XR4Ti) blow away the Camaros in the IMSA racing in the US and realised it would not hold a candle to the forthcoming RS500.
Your comment about IMSA somehow made me remember that for an engine to eligible for Group C prototypes, the basic engine had to be currently homologated in either Group N, A or B. Thus Jaguar re homologated their XJ-S at the same time, but now as a Group B. Lamborghini actually homologated their Countach in January 1988 remember the ex-Gordon Spice Tiga with the Lambo engine in Group C late 1986? Most likely Chevrolet covered their bets.

Found what likely is the Mercedes 380 SLC DPM/DTM car of 1984 mentioned earlier. Look for the #29 Felder BMW 528i and behind it you can see the front of the SLC:
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...%20Sprint.html

Quite a lot of cars mentioned since my last view, and will follow up on some more a little later.

Jesper
Old 8 Jan 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2367785)   #24
collector
Rookie

Germany
somewhere behind the mountain
collector should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.dtm.com/statistik-rennen....nen=1984-09-23

Here you can see it in the results... The driver was Robert Manner.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2367858)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Ecellent, excellent stuff folks!

Thanks Jesper and KA for expanding a bit more of the Merc oddities i'd remembered. Hadn't realised there were actually images of them on RSC!!!

So the AMG 500's were coupes then! Makes sense I guess for weight reasons, but for some reason I thought id seen a 4 door sedan/saloon version running somewhere?

I reckon old M Benz missed a trick here.... If they had taken a proper interest in Group A at the beginning with a car like this, then other than the 635's, the TWR Jags and Rovers might have had a bit of a problem even before the Volvo's became truly competitive!!

Going OT briefly - nice to see some more old footage from Malscar as well. Had a look on the Australian thread referred to earlier and there's a nice little shot of a Brock M3 hanging the tail out coming onto a straight (Calder perhaps)

Last edited by chunterer; 8 Jan 2009 at 18:55.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2367863)   #26
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are simply LOADS of pictures to be found at the Biante link in it's 60+ pages as of now! Thank you Malscar and other contributers to that page.

Jesper
Old 9 Jan 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2368109)   #27
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
The Reanult 11 Turbo- small capacity turbo cars never seemed to catch on in the 1600-2500 class for some reason- apart from the Metro turbos, the only others I can think of are a few 1.4 litre Renaults- usually the 5, but occasionally an 11- Again a car that was fairly successful in rallying but never translated this to the circuits
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-07-28-050.jpg
Another Group A Renault- Roger Saunders at the British GP meeting BTCC round in 1987 (photo copyright Phil Rainford, originally posted on the Atlas/Autosport Nostalgia Forum)
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...960/img013.jpg

During 1986/7 when the BTCC was in pretty poor shape, quite a few Renault 5GT turbo one-make series competitors took in the occasional BTCC round, encouraged by the the changes in the class structure to include a 1600-2000 class for 1987.

As I recall, Saunders was one of the most regularly seen, and I think did much of the '87 season- I think his car had been upgraded to something like full Group A spec by then?

Alex Postan also ran a 5GT Turbo in the 1986 TT- I should have a pic somewhere at home, I'll add it to my 'to do' list for scanning this weekend...

Slightly off-topic, in that it never actually raced, but I believe Renault looked at the idea of running the Fuego 1.6 Turbo
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...bo-120_143.jpg
in the BTCC around 1983/4, but were put off the idea by all the legal and eligibility arguing that surrounded the series at that time. If I remember the story correctly, the project might have got as far as a prototype car being built and tested, and could have been a useful weapon in the 2.5 litre class...

Last edited by KA; 9 Jan 2009 at 09:25.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2368198)   #28
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Since the thread is going slightly off-topic by discussing the Renault Fuego Turbo that never actually raced, can anyone shed any light on the rumours that at least one factory Audi 200 quattro was going to contest the 1987 World Touring Car Championship? I remember reading the rumours in either Auto Action or Racing Car News at the time.
Was this anything more than just speculation, or did it have legs? My memory suggests Hans Stuck was to be one of the likely drivers.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2368207)   #29
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iam not sure which Group A thread to post this link as it cover various cars.
So i'll post here and someone can sort the relevent info out.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog...group-a-lovin/

that page contains some other interesting links as well as some youtube video.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2368213)   #30
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonwood1
Since the thread is going slightly off-topic by discussing the Renault Fuego Turbo that never actually raced, can anyone shed any light on the rumours that at least one factory Audi 200 quattro was going to contest the 1987 World Touring Car Championship? I remember reading the rumours in either Auto Action or Racing Car News at the time.
Was this anything more than just speculation, or did it have legs? My memory suggests Hans Stuck was to be one of the likely drivers.
I don't remember much on this, but there was definitely some speculation in the European press late in '86- think I remember there being mentions of it in Autosport. TWR and possibly Carlsson (who ran Merc 190s in the '86 ETCC) might have been amongst the teams connected with the story (though I think in late '86, TWR were being connected with pretty much every manufacturer in the book for the WTCC....)

Did a 200 Quattro ever race in Germany? I know the V8 ran in the DTM in the early 90's, but was the 200 ever actually raced?