Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Sep 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3309648)   #1
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
VSCC Snetterton Sunday 29th

With the AMOCR on Saturday and VSCC Sunday, as last year this should be a great weekend for anyone interested in older racing and road cars!

Hope to spend some time looking and watching. Anyone else?
Old 26 Sep 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3309811)   #2
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
With the AMOCR on Saturday and VSCC Sunday, as last year this should be a great weekend for anyone interested in older racing and road cars!

Hope to spend some time looking and watching. Anyone else?
I'll be there marshalling, following the HSCC meeting at Brands Hatch on Saturday.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3310671)   #3
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortunate news from the circuit is that an accident in qualifying has stopped proceedings. Reports of a driver being thrown from his car on pit straight and damaged Armco having to be replaced. I hope that the driver involved is not seriously hurt and the meeting can continue after barrier repairs.

Away from the racing lots of spectacular cars on display and big crowds. And sun.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3310677)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes hope the driver is ok.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 18:22 (Ref:3310759)   #5
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Well, jammy bugger James got another podium. P3 after qualifying 6th in the 50 s Sportscars. Lotus reliable and quick enough to be competitive!

Regarding the accident, no official statement. Am fearing news will not be good, though.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3310804)   #6
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to be the bearer of bad and sad news, but the driver of the Bugatti passed away later this afternoon.

My deepest sympathy to all.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3310810)   #7
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
I did have that info this afternoon but wanted it to be official. Now reported HERE . I was not aware, however, of another car being involved.

My sincere condolences to the family and friends of the driver involved.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3310848)   #8
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Steve Jewell died on his way to hospital following a coming together with an ERA.
As a friend of a friend I've passed condolences on.

Last edited by PeterMorley; 29 Sep 2013 at 23:39.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 04:33 (Ref:3310892)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news, yet another of our community gone this year. My condolences to Steve's family and friends.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3311040)   #10
Bugly
Rookie

Bugly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your concerns regarding the incident at Snetterton yesterday.

I am the Public Relations Manager for the Vintage Sports-Car Club and would like to direct you to the official statement from the Club which has recently been published.

VSCC Statement http://www.vscc.co.uk/page/news?newsItemID=200

Gillian Carr
Old 30 Sep 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3311061)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Many thanks, Gillian. I have started a thread in Tributes:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...60#post3311060
Old 30 Sep 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3311133)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's going to be difficult for the Pre War cars to continue to race unless a safety code is agreed.

Quicker cars,older drivers,etc,etc,

We are looking at ways to protect drivers
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3311144)   #13
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's going to be difficult for the Pre War cars to continue to race unless a safety code is agreed.

Quicker cars,older drivers,etc,etc,

We are looking at ways to protect drivers

I had no idea that pre war cars did have a problem with racing standards.

What we witnessed yesterday were wonderful standards in driving and presentation and i cannot remember the last time a driver was killed in this racing format.

Thank goodness for older drivers. In the main they have experience and respect.

Can you not let a little time pass in respect of the driver, and then tell us less informed non vintage racers of the problems that are going to stop the racing for these cars??
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3311147)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know the drivers and all are good blokes

The news is terrible but the jungle drums tell me that people are questioning safety in general with Pre War stuff due to this and other incidents.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3311343)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think that with a thread opened in Tributes for Steve, it is only reasonable that any discussion in connection with the future of vintage racing is held here, simply because it was at this event where the tragedy occurred. I don't really see it as disrespectful although as ever, no doubt I will be corrected.

Not being very familiar with VSCC or racing of those cars, it occurs to me that cars of that age can never be made "safe", furthermore I recall being at Brands Hatch in 1983(?) when a driver lost his life at Paddock Hill Bend in the GP meeting.

Of course the debate can be had in connection with many ages of cars. Witness the sad loss of Christian Devereux, in May. There have been others, including Allan Simonsen at Le Mans this year. So, the passing of one of our community whilst on track will inevitably lead to questions because as has been said, they are all good blokes and their loss is not easy to bear, especially if you are involved in that particular genre of the sport.

As stated in the above press release, an official investigation is being undertaken and from there, no doubt some recommendations will arise. But that shouldn't stop the organisers seeking advice from the experts in the genre.