Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Aug 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3844243)   #16
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker has a real shot at the podium!Moneyseeker has a real shot at the podium!Moneyseeker has a real shot at the podium!Moneyseeker has a real shot at the podium!
Reported locally, that it is going to be a car storage and 'de-fleeting' centre for a car auctioneers.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3844263)   #17
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Reported locally, that it is going to be a car storage and 'de-fleeting' centre for a car auctioneers.
Well, there's certainly been a lot of that going on at Bruntingthorpe over the last goodness knows how long, so there obviously is a demand for that typr of thing.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3844319)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There cant be many noise complaints, its on a massive industrial estate!

I would think the car storage is a perfect answer, no need to build and there are probably already issues about building, I gather the outer stands are never used for that reason. And we all know the histiry behind the previous usage meant issues with seepage subsidence.

So storage is the perfect solution.

Wonder if they would let us build a short oval there...
Old 18 Aug 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3844423)   #19
JamieStewart9
Rookie

JamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having run motorcycle race meetings at Rockingham, I have to say that it isn't the best track for bikes (or anywhere near it).
I did remove it from our calendar last year due to ongoing issues that I won't go into. The circuit staff have always been excellent and I really feel for those who have lost their jobs. Whichever circuit is lucky enough to secure their services will certainly benefit from their positive attitudes.

If they had been open to the idea of abandoning the big oval (and maybe replacing it with a 3/4 mile oval on the infield, to acknowledge the oval roots) in order to make the main track more appealing to both competitors and spectators, it may well have not only survived, but prospered.

The really sad bit from my perspective, is that none of the mainstream motorsport publications seem to care about it. When Mallory Park and Donington Park were facing extinction, there was loads of media coverage and support. With Rockingham they seem to be reacting with no more than a gallic shrug.......... Sad.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3844424)   #20
JamieStewart9
Rookie

JamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully, I have managed to attach an article I wrote for our Race Programme back in 2016.
Sadly whilst the Automotive Hub may be arriving, it appears that it won't be in conjunction with an active circuit like the old Brooklands.
What a wasted opportunity.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages 06 09 The Raceways are our Battlefields.pdf (1.56 MB, 14 views)
Old 18 Aug 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3844440)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
isnít that exactly what it is at the moment? presumably itís just going to scale up.

personally i wouldnít value the old debt at anything. itíll be a convenient tax write-off for someone somewhere thatíll be conveniently lost. so much money now is imaginary.

like woolley, i have some good memories there from the champcar days, but from a present day perspective i wonít miss it one bit. nothing looks good racing there thanks to the empty, condemned stands and it doesnít exactly produce great racing unless itís raining.

which in common with silverstone, it only ever does sideways.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3844532)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
I've been to Rockingham twice - the temperature never got above freezing either time. I don't think I saw it at its best but it's a strangely souless place.
Attached Thumbnails
r1.JPG  
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:06 (Ref:3844931)   #23
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to read this about Rockingham. But after all, the oval course was largely outdated by any US-based major series standards. And racing at the road course - a common problem with all 'roval' courses outside Daytona - seemed artificial "direct-to-TV" or "British Touring Car Lite".
Old 20 Aug 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3845016)   #24
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I've been to Rockingham twice - the temperature never got above freezing either time. I don't think I saw it at its best but it's a strangely souless place.
Echo that sentiment, been twice for rally stage meetings along with a few other hardy souls. I also attended the CART race with Gil de Ferran winning on the last bend but only after hours of sitting around waiting for the track to be dried out with gas turbine heater/blowers!
Old 20 Aug 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3845045)   #25
backfire
Rookie

backfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Agree there-only been once(for the Indycar race) and was not impressed-watching TV coverage since never seen a single spectator in the open stands-
I think that the outer stands have never had a single spectator in them. The dreaded Health and Safety said they had to fully man any grandstand with any spectators at all, so they were always closed to save money.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3845096)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfire View Post
I think that the outer stands have never had a single spectator in them. The dreaded Health and Safety said they had to fully man any grandstand with any spectators at all, so they were always closed to save money.
they were open for the first champcar race at least. official excuse for closing all four eventually was subsidence.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3845262)   #27
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly the open grandstand at Turn One was in regular use for the major meetings up to around 5 years ago. In recent years they've even fenced off some of the Turn Four end of the main covered stand.

I rather like the place - mostly due to the viewing from the main stand allowing you to see virtually the whole circuit and I've gone to BTCC, British GT & clubbie races there every year since attending the opening meeting and both Champ Car visits.

It wasn't without its drawbacks however - mostly due to the main stand facing east which means it was in shade for most of the day and never really warm plus the PA system wasn't up to the job.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3849208)   #28
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If enough entrants can be found, there's going to be an open all-comers meeting running the last full weekend in November. Could be an exceedingly eclectic set of grids, if some of the social media around it turns up entries rather than just talk
Old 10 Sep 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3849241)   #29
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds interesting - may have to get my thermals ready for that one.

https://rockingham.co.uk/supersendoff/
Old 6 Nov 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3861370)   #30
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's now a one-day meeting on Saturday 24th. Provisional timetable:

https://barc.blob.core.windows.net/b...k-v1-fqf94.pdf