Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Nov 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1451742)   #16
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!
With regard to lack of knowledge: I think the first appearance in States was Watkins Glen six hours, with Peterson and Villeneuve, and then a year later the McLaren BMW, the CitiBank car, appeared in IMSA, first with the atmo engine, and soon followed by the Turbo, which McLaren and Busby raced. Was the McLaren connection only in the States, and I believe McLaren developed the Turbo engine? On the Europe cars that may have been Turbo, was that the same engine, or was it developed independently of the McLaren USA version?

robert
Old 5 Nov 2005, 03:02 (Ref:1452577)   #17
Carlos Guerra
Rookie

Angola
Luanda, Angola
Carlos Guerra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first appearance of a 320 turbo in US racing was at Road Atlanta, April 1977, 3rd round of the IMSA series. Hobbs finished 4th o/a in the main race. Its blown 2-litre engine was developed by McLaren Engines in the USA.
Another 2-litre 320 turbo was seen at Brands Hatch and this was built by BMW Motorsport in Munich.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1457919)   #18
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi!

I've done some digging aroud the subject also: there were 2 Gr5 cars in Finland in late 80's and they were sold to UK. One was works junior team car with 2.0 16v n/a engine and the other was a Schnitser 1.4 8v tbo (later upgrated to 2l tbo). The latter car was for sale about a year ago in UK.

Does this help anyone anyway?
Old 11 Nov 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1457944)   #19
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Guerra
The first appearance of a 320 turbo in US racing was at Road Atlanta, April 1977, 3rd round of the IMSA series. Hobbs finished 4th o/a in the main race. Its blown 2-litre engine was developed by McLaren Engines in the USA.
Another 2-litre 320 turbo was seen at Brands Hatch and this was built by BMW Motorsport in Munich.
Thought 2 x 320 turbos came to Australia for the Frank Gardner/Alan Grice factory backed team - am I right? Ex Hobbs rings a bell.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1458039)   #20
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzei
Hi!

I've done some digging aroud the subject also: there were 2 Gr5 cars in Finland in late 80's and they were sold to UK. One was works junior team car with 2.0 16v n/a engine and the other was a Schnitser 1.4 8v tbo (later upgrated to 2l tbo). The latter car was for sale about a year ago in UK.

Does this help anyone anyway?
Did Brian Chatfield get one of these over here (UK) ??
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1458046)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
i was wondering that as well - Brian's car which he raced in Special Saloons had the 2 litrre engine i think - i think he may also have put a Hart F2 engine in it to 'save' or replace the original Beeem unit, but i don't know that for sure.

I remember Brian's car was a sort of Red and Silver livery, but i think he resprayed it?
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1458086)   #22
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw Brian race the car at Thruxton in 1988 (?) in a BTCC supporting Special Saloons race. The car was plain white that day.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1458094)   #23
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW 320 group 5's.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has pictures of Brian Chatfields car.It was an ex-HAT car from 1977 used in the DRM series by amongst others, Ronnie Peterson. The car was then sold via Tom Walkinshaw to a chap called Gerry Tyack from the Cotswold area He ran the car at the Prescott hillclimb in 1978 still in the colours and sponsorship as it had last raced in Germany. The car then passed to Brian Chatfield who had it from 1984 to 1988 when he used it in Club events. During this time, Chatfield also acquired a second car, supposedly ex-Schnitzer? Does anyone know any more or even the whereabouts of these cars today?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1459003)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
Memory fades with age, but Brian definitely ran the car in the Combe GT series for some time and I <i>think</i> it's the one he ran in Thundersaloons when I was doing it in late 80s. I'm sure it was white.

Brian ran, amongst other businesses, a vehicle dismantlers and a 4x4 dealership in the Trowbridge, Wiltshire area. He may still be here, but I haven't heard of him for some time. Try tracking him down via Combe circuit?

I remember watching Peterson in (that?) car in '77 at the Silverstone 6 hours in the rain. Great memories!
Old 13 Nov 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1459460)   #25
ian beckett
Racer

BMW 320 Group 5.

The car you remember at the Silverstone 6 hours was the Faltz car of Ronnie Peterson and Helmut Kelleners. The car was bright orange and sponsored by Jagermeister. The car brought to Britain by Gerry Tyack and then sold to Brian Chatfield was white with blue panels.

Last edited by ian beckett; 13 Nov 2005 at 08:25. Reason: Additional information
Old 21 Nov 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1466081)   #26
Adrian B
Rookie

Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car mentioned above has been restored and I have recently purchased it as a rolling chassis. I plan to fit a M12/7 F2 motor as it originally ran in the 70's. The gentleman I purchased it from also has some knowledge on the car from Finland.
The car is at present all white.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 04:30 (Ref:1466133)   #27
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is difficult to say "where the cars are" as many were built by private teams from production shells or upgraded from Gp.2 cars, even after the end of Gp.5 as such. A few were "re-shelled" with E30 shells to create newer specials. Post-1976 Gp.5 cars are hardly ever allowed to race anywhere so these cars don't show up in historic racing much.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1473450)   #28
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The 320 Bmw Cars Ran The 2 Litre F2 M12 Engine In Europe In Dtm And Group 5 Races With The Group6 Wsc Races The Bmw Team Had Petersen Cheever In The Junior Team In Usa They Ran Turbo 1.4 Engines
I Recall Gerry Tyzac Sprinting Group 5 320 Bimmer In The Late 70`s

Chatfield Raced His Bimmer In Thundersaloon And Coombe Gt Races
He Shared His Car With The Greek Guy And He Has 320 As Well He Claimsto Be The Sheckter Car In His Garage In Greece
Ive Seen Some Cars For Sale But Most Are In Collectors Hands And Race In The New Timer Races In Germany
Old 1 Dec 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1474551)   #29
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DW, the original Junior Team 320s in '77 were for Surer, Cheever, Winklehock (Manfred). Ronnie wasn't a 'junior' by then !
Old 1 Dec 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1474575)   #30
ian beckett
Racer

Group 5 BMW 320's.

As Dan mentioned earlier today,the Junior Team created for the 1977 German series comprised of Eddie Cheever,Marc Surer and Manfred Winkelhock. They perhaps showed a little too much enthusiasm and a lack of experience in the early season races and to curb some of this 'macho' behaviour, the BMW management put Hans Stuck,Ronnie Peterson and David Hobbs in the three cars for the Diepholz round where would you believe,Peterson crashed out! This trio were named the Gentlemens Team by the management! Stuck won the race and Hobbs was fifth. The cars were then passed back to the Juniors for the rest of the season and all three went on to race 320's the following season for different teams before moving to F1 and sportscars.