Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Dec 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1474584)   #31
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dan i was a junior when the lads where racing i saw cars at BH 6 hr races !!
cheever was 17/18 at the time when he raced the cars
Old 1 Dec 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1474953)   #32
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Guerra
The first appearance of a 320 turbo in US racing was at Road Atlanta, April 1977, 3rd round of the IMSA series. Hobbs finished 4th o/a in the main race. Its blown 2-litre engine was developed by McLaren Engines in the USA.
Another 2-litre 320 turbo was seen at Brands Hatch and this was built by BMW Motorsport in Munich.
Hmmmmm...'not positive, but I attended the 24 heures of Daytona (first race of the IMSA season) in '77 and I seem to recollect Hobbs starting a 320it..didna finish tho'...

Ahh-ha! T'is so (Hobbs, Posey, and Peterson; 40th)... http://www.wspr-racing.com/wspr/resu...msa1977.html#1

Last edited by jimclark; 1 Dec 2005 at 18:06. Reason: insert link

jimclark
Old 1 Dec 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1474987)   #33
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW 320 Group 5's.

The first race of the '77 IMSA season was indeed at the Daytona 24 hours and Hobbs together with Ronnie Peterson and Sam Posey drove the car but retired. In Jeremy Walton's Unbeatable BMW book a photo caption does state that the turbo engine made its debut at round three-Atlanta and the 1978 IMSA yearbook states that at Daytona the car ran with a standard 2 litre motor which left it way behind the turbocharged Porsches. This lack of power seems to have accelerated BMW's decision to go down the turbo route themselves some time before they did so in Europe. In the US,Mclaren Engines prepared the motors while factory built units were used elsewhere.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1476055)   #34
enduro81
Rookie

enduro81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, it's great to see there is still interest in the G5 era. Can anyone point me towards some good books on the cars or championships? Were any yearbooks ever issued perhaps for the DRM?
I am slowly building a collection of reports programmes etc on the 76-81 era - does anyone know where I can get hold of the timing sheets, hourly reports that were issued at the races? Would the race organisers have records of these?
Sorry for all the questions!!
Regards
Geoff
Old 2 Dec 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1476061)   #35
driftwood
Veteran

i bought a book on bmw cars in german good fotos f2 and Gp 5 cars
rolf heggen
fazination rennstruccke
isbn 3430 141958
i found it thru abebook.com
rare book so get yr weekly beer money out and brace yrself!
im sure the germans have year books if u look on some websites u will see results
Old 3 Dec 2005, 00:29 (Ref:1476090)   #36
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
The first race of the '77 IMSA season was indeed at the Daytona 24 hours and Hobbs together with Ronnie Peterson and Sam Posey drove the car but retired. In Jeremy Walton's Unbeatable BMW book a photo caption does state that the turbo engine made its debut at round three-Atlanta and the 1978 IMSA yearbook states that at Daytona the car ran with a standard 2 litre motor which left it way behind the turbocharged Porsches. This lack of power seems to have accelerated BMW's decision to go down the turbo route themselves some time before they did so in Europe. In the US,Mclaren Engines prepared the motors while factory built units were used elsewhere.
Correct, it was the atmo engine at Daytona and Sebring.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1476220)   #37
ian beckett
Racer

BMW 320 Group 5.

In fact the 320 did not race at Sebring in 1978 presumably because they were converting the car from 2 litre to the turbo engine. The track at Sebring was known to be a car breaker and not really suitable for a vehicle in its infancy?
Old 3 Dec 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1476278)   #38
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!
I thought I recalled seeing the car there and went and looked at wspr-racing.com. They show 320i with Hobbs, Klauser and Minter in 38th position? That was the same McLaren entry that was entered at Daytona 24?

robert
Old 3 Dec 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1476284)   #39
ian beckett
Racer

BMW 320 Group 5.

There is a confusion of years here! The season we are discussing is 1977 and the Citibank 320 did not race at Sebring. The following year they were indeed 38th in the hands of Hobbs/Minter/Klausler.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1476309)   #40
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
OMG! Thanks, you are correct, I was all over the map on the year

robert
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1497876)   #41
ian beckett
Racer

BMW 320 Group 5.

Happy New Year everyone! I am hoping to build a model of the 320 sponsored by JPS which raced in Australia in the early '80's. Does anyone know of sources of photo evidence which would be helpful to me? Thanks in advance Ian Beckett.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1497897)   #42
driftwood
Veteran

the team was run by frank gardener
1st port of call will be any Ozzie touring car year end book bathurst books and the ozzie year end annuals
try collectors car books at silverstone chris has many books
if your really stuck there are 2 or 3 shops in Oz i bought some books in 1990 in sydney after i had been to bathurst
PM me and i can get my buddies down there to sort this out

there may be an ozzie touring car website woth fotos off hand not come across any
i have been to FG musuem in Brisbane now sold school to Merc benz he may own museum still i will ask my brizzy mate who took me there
Old 9 Jan 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1498080)   #43
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
Happy New Year everyone! I am hoping to build a model of the 320 sponsored by JPS which raced in Australia in the early '80's. Does anyone know of sources of photo evidence which would be helpful to me? Thanks in advance Ian Beckett.
Ian, try here (about midway down the page).

http://www.autopics.com.au/cache/sea....html?cache=no

I seem to recall the JPS team having a second car which appeared in 1982-83, driven by Jim Richards, which was turbo charged and raced in Sports Sedan events. I think Richards was leading the '83 championship before being involved in a massive crash moments after the start of the Adelaide race. Then the same car was rebuilt and raced at Sandown in '83 as normally aspirated when the World Sportscar championship visited Aus.

There are no photos of the Richards car (or is it the Grice car with different bodykit?) for some reason on the Autopics site, but email them and they might have some photos which could help.

I have several photos of the car(s) from my Australian Motor Race annuals, but I don't have them here. I'll get them in a couple of weeks from storage and let you know.