Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Nov 2016, 06:31 (Ref:3691966)   #151
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well done Smudge. You now own my very first race car. Took me and my mates two years to build and I raced it in Modsport's way back in 1976.
Wow! Now that is really special, Smudge. Delta's first racer!

Welcome to the forum, and hope you are based close enough to Iain so you can meet up with the legend that is.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:10 (Ref:3691983)   #152
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blimey! What a coincidence! Of all the motor sport forums in all the world you happen to walk into this one!

You'll never be short of technical information now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:23 (Ref:3691986)   #153
smudge2031
Rookie

smudge2031 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I cant believe I actually found out about the car so quickly! Didnt think i would get any joy at all...... It was lying in an old Doctors shed for around 20ish years when I bought it........I would love to see some pictures of it back in the day if possible!
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3691988)   #154
smudge2031
Rookie

Thanks for the welcomes.....I am actually in the Scottish Borders. Always been a rally guy but love all motorsports. I would be keen to know what the engine spec is etc...very close to firing it up for the first time.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3692003)   #155
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I can see this taking up a lot of time, but going to be very enjoyable. Smudge I will dig out some photos over the weekend. In the mean time if you can buy on amazon or e bay a copy of the Brands Hatch book by Chas Parker. There is a picture from 1976 Modsports race and the car is pictured on the grid.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:56 (Ref:3692006)   #156
smudge2031
Rookie

Excellent...many thanks. I will post up some more pictures of the car later......hope the following pictures dont make you feel old!! 40 years after its first outing!!

Last edited by smudge2031; 29 Nov 2016 at 10:02.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 10:14 (Ref:3692014)   #157
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
John Chatham Cars
Wellinghouse Farm, Moorhouse Lane, Hallen, Bristol
BS10 7RT
tel: +44 (0)117 950 1836 +44 (0)7917 060 604
web: http://www.JohnChathamCars.co.uk

I do not know if this will help, I assume it is the John Chatham.
Only one Chatty, not enough room length or width on any circuit for another Chatty, very memorable, Chatty, Stuart Hands, John Britten and Gabby Konig in Midgets thrown in for good measure, not forgetting John Gott, (RIP) useful chap to have in one's address book as Chief Constable of Northamptonshire.......
Old 29 Nov 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3692021)   #158
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
not forgetting John Gott, (RIP) useful chap to have in one's address book as Chief Constable of Northamptonshire.......
Who used to drive his race Healey 3000 to and from the circuits. Nice bloke , too.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3692027)   #159
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Who used to drive his race Healey 3000 to and from the circuits. Nice bloke , too.
Jock, police mechanic the day job, the Healey the most of his time as it was kept at the police garage.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3692182)   #160
smudge2031
Rookie

as she stands today....

Old 30 Nov 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3692410)   #161
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks to be in remarkably good condition.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3692416)   #162
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That looks like it will be a right hoot.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3692442)   #163
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My first test was at Goodwood late in 1975. The plan was to do Boxing day meeting that year. Looking at the webbers on your photo reminded me what happened that day.
As we were just a bunch of numpty's with not a clue about race cars" OK Bob nothing has changed" I did not have any air filters on the carb's. Needless to say as I pulled out of the pits with the best and I mean best feeling in the world as this was the first time the car had moved I kept thinking why is the car accelerating and I am not on the gas.All the gravel from OSF wheel was now being sucked into the engine and the carb's jamed open.
Back to base head off and we had to start all over again but we did not go back to test until spring in 1976. I am sure more memories are going to come flooding back.
This is all very exciting.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3692476)   #164
smudge2031
Rookie

Well to be honest it isnt too bad condition wise. I only bought it last week.

It does need new outer sills...but the resr of the bodywork just needs prepped and paint really.

My plans are to keep it original as possible....soo

I have re done the wiring...have ordered all new electric parts starter,solenoid,alternator,dizzy etc.....
new brake and clutch parts
just cleaned carbs and got new trumpets today
full stainless exhaust comes tomorrow
new rocker came today
new spax suspension to go on
new 1" front roll bar came today
new tank in boot with pump
fire extinguisher system
new perspex
seat and harness
possibly wilwood front brakes

Ive done a compression test and all seems good enough.....probably get it started tomorrow!!

Not sure about fitting a full cage or not.....any thoughts?

Paint...and thats it I think

My main worry is the seat....The seat that came with it was bolted to the floor and even when I sit on the floor with no seat I have around 4-5 inches clearance with no helmet.....

So advice on a narrow lay back seat is needed...alloy? or what regulation seat would work with the limited width etc??

Last edited by smudge2031; 30 Nov 2016 at 20:00.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3692500)   #165
smudge2031
Rookie

Quote:
My first test was at Goodwood late in 1975. The plan was to do Boxing day meeting that year. Looking at the webbers on your photo reminded me what happened that day.
As we were just a bunch of numpty's with not a clue about race cars" OK Bob nothing has changed" I did not have any air filters on the carb's. Needless to say as I pulled out of the pits with the best and I mean best feeling in the world as this was the first time the car had moved I kept thinking why is the car accelerating and I am not on the gas.All the gravel from OSF wheel was now being sucked into the engine and the carb's jamed open.
Back to base head off and we had to start all over again but we did not go back to test until spring in 1976. I am sure more memories are going to come flooding back.
This is all very exciting.
Im sure you were'nt the first to do that!

I hope it brings back great memories...Im certainly not going to change it much....its good to have a bit of British motorsport history as you will know. To be honest I am not sure what I will do with it..but would love to get it back on the track where it belongs.....From memory can you tell me the spec of the engine...of course it could have changed but from what I have noticed it has a skimmed TR6 head with flat top pistons...with the flat top pistons its possible it may have the 2.5 crank,rods and pistons..is this correct? head has been ported to a degree also.....
Old 1 Dec 2016, 05:58 (Ref:3692611)   #166
Dougie
Rookie

United States
Pacific Northwest
Dougie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I vintage race a big Healey here in the states and have a had couple historic Healeys go through our club. Here's some additional historic Modsport info:
http://www.specialsaloons.co.uk/mods...eys/4590575434
'57 100-SIX MM #414 G2
Old 1 Dec 2016, 06:06 (Ref:3692613)   #167
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's worth checking but if you want to race rather than sprint you will need a full cage.

As to seats, they are expenditure but a Tillet may fit your needs.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 14:53 (Ref:3692708)   #168
smudge2031
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
I vintage race a big Healey here in the states and have a had couple historic Healeys go through our club. Here's some additional historic Modsport info:
http://www.specialsaloons.co.uk/mods...eys/4590575434
The Healey's do look good with the arches!
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3692805)   #169
smudge2031
Rookie

well.....the legend runs again....got it running today...will post video tomorrow....sounds good

Old 1 Dec 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3692812)   #170
smudge2031
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's worth checking but if you want to race rather than sprint you will need a full cage.

As to seats, they are expenditure but a Tillet may fit your needs.
Thanks...I would prefer a full cage anyway....seems quite a vunerable cockpit to be in without it...Hats off to the racers of old.
I will look at the tillet seats could be the one right enough
Old 2 Dec 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3693141)   #171
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge2031 View Post
Thanks...I would prefer a full cage anyway....seems quite a vunerable cockpit to be in without it...Hats off to the racers of old.
I will look at the tillet seats could be the one right enough
Smudge , that's the way it was back then . There were cars out racing with No !!! Cage . I have dug out the first race I did at Thruxton qualy sheet will post over weekend .
Old 2 Dec 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3693147)   #172
smudge2031
Rookie

Quote:
Smudge , that's the way it was back then . There were cars out racing with No !!! Cage . I have dug out the first race I did at Thruxton qualy sheet will post over weekend .
Brave men when you think about it!...I believe I may actually have the original seat you put in...no headrest but a pad stuck to the cage behind? ring any bells....
Anyway the car is unbelievably low to the ground..you track guys are probably used to it but from a rallying background...well... its alarming! Certainly would like to be on a bumpy road or tarmac stage in it!

Thanks for digging out the pics etc...if you could find as much as you can as it all adds the the car if you know what I mean.
Iain was thinking....how about when I get the car finished I bring it down to you for a drive somehwere and we can get an article done on it....makes a good story? Just a thought
Old 3 Dec 2016, 10:23 (Ref:3693291)   #173
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
No need to come down, When you and the car are ready I can fly up and we can test at Knockhill. I love that track and not raced there for many years. Going to try and post a couple of pictures now. Stand by.
Old 3 Dec 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3693293)   #174
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No need to come down, When you and the car are ready I can fly up and we can test at Knockhill. I love that track and not raced there for many years. Going to try and post a couple of pictures now. Stand by.
Surely it is befitting that it should be the star attraction at the Stoke Row show as your No 1 motor!
Old 3 Dec 2016, 11:09 (Ref:3693298)   #175
smudge2031
Rookie

Quote:
Sounds like a great plan...