Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 23 Feb 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3209554)   #1
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard Strawford

I have heard the very sad news that Howard passed away this morning. My deepest sympathy goes to Pat and family.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3209585)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A stalwart of club racing and the driving force behind Castle Combe. A great loss to British motorsport. RIP Howard.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3209635)   #3
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
A stalwart of club racing and the driving force behind Castle Combe. A great loss to British motorsport. RIP Howard.
Hear hear

RIP

Bladders
Old 23 Feb 2013, 18:17 (Ref:3209640)   #4
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news! As most Combe stalwarts will know, Howard was instrumental in saving Combe for racing in the 60s and was the dynamo behind the success story that was Combe in the 80s and 90s especially. He made Castle Combe racing synonymous with club racing at its best ,combining large fields of cars with plenty of spectators. And always plenty of marshals who I know he appreciated.
Hopefully there will be some permanent sign of the esteem he was held in at the circuit?
Let us hope that his hopes and plans for a vibrant Castle Combe Racing Club continue and someone with a successful Combe at heart takes up Howard's torch!
But it's a sad day for British motor racing as when Don Trueman left us. We will miss the red buggy driving round on race day checking on the size of the crowd and the quality of the racing.....
RIP
Old 23 Feb 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3209671)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A real driving force and entrepreneur for attractive, high-quality, club racing. Always polite and interesting to talk to.

RIP Howard

Jim Whitaker
Old 23 Feb 2013, 20:40 (Ref:3209694)   #6
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard Strawford

My deepest sympathy's, go to Pat, Karen, Emma & Family.

I will always remember Howard from the late 70's till last season, with his wry smile and wicked sense of humour.

He always made time to talk to marshals, & the general public.

He was Mr Combe, and saved the Circuit, when times were tough.

You will be sadly missed.

Joe
Old 23 Feb 2013, 21:05 (Ref:3209700)   #7
Ianconnell
Rookie

France
France
Ianconnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad news about Howard. He did so much for British Club motorsport.

A deep void to fill.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3209762)   #8
saddelbags
Rookie

saddelbags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Howard sadly missed
Old 24 Feb 2013, 04:27 (Ref:3209829)   #9
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very sad day for motorsport in general and Combe in particular. As a spectator at the circuit for over 40 years I was witness to every changing season of development from those early days of a couple of meetings a year at a rather rundown venue to the fantastic setting and race meetings that Howard and his team have strived so hard to attain. It certainly became an intrinsic part of my life and for that I thank you sincerely.

RIP Howard, a man who had the vision and purpose to provide a wonderful lasting legacy to all us motorsport fans. Sincere condolences to his family and his many friends.

Thankyou again.

Last edited by Hamness; 24 Feb 2013 at 04:28. Reason: Spelling !
Old 24 Feb 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3209873)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamness View Post
A very sad day for motorsport in general and Combe in particular. As a spectator at the circuit for over 40 years I was witness to every changing season of development from those early days of a couple of meetings a year at a rather rundown venue to the fantastic setting and race meetings that Howard and his team have strived so hard to attain. It certainly became an intrinsic part of my life and for that I thank you sincerely.

RIP Howard, a man who had the vision and purpose to provide a wonderful lasting legacy to all us motorsport fans. Sincere condolences to his family and his many friends.

Thankyou again.
Exactly this. A massive loss for club motorsport. Totally committed to Combe and making it work as a business, one of the great successes in recent years. RIP.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3209971)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a shock to read this sad news yesterday.
My condolences to his family, friends and the Combe family, race days will never be quite the same again.

RIP.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3210004)   #12
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RIP, as said this will be a massive loss for Club Motorsport, Howard and Combe were a fairly unique combination. Thoughts are with his family and friends.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3210390)   #13
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
A huge loss to UK motorsport and Howard will be always regarded as 'Mr Castle Combe'. I'm sure he will be long remembered and rightly so. RIP Howard
Old 26 Feb 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3211194)   #14
tim dodwell
Racer

tim dodwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard Strawford

Just read in our paper that Howard Strawford passed away last Saturday. Very sad to hear that - in my dealings with him when running the Road Saloons (and as a competitor), he was so helpful. He also knew how to run a circuit for the spectators, which is why Castle Combe has so many of them.
A great loss to all of us - competitors, officials, and spectators.
Condolences to his family - especially his so supportive wife, Pat.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3211207)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RIP Howard and condolences to family and friends
Old 26 Feb 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3211340)   #16
ron54
Rookie

ron54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad loss,West Country motor sport in many forms owes much to HS.

Sincere condolences to Pat,family & friends
Old 6 Mar 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3215105)   #17
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
Look on the Castle Combe website for Howard's funeral arrangements.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3217195)   #18
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
Attending Howard's funeral tomorrow will be a very poignant part of my 54 year association with Castle Combe. My parents used to take me there to watch the motor bike racing (only ropes, stakes and straw bales in those days!) and look at the place now! Howard put his heart and soul into the place; because he loved it. R.I.P. Howard Strawford.