Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 May 2003, 02:05 (Ref:602276)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F*****g #24!!!

Wrecked two cars so far, both cheap moves!
Old 18 May 2003, 02:41 (Ref:602293)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Easy there, if it were anyone but Gordon, you'd be cheering. Nobody ever booed when Earnhardt tagged a guy.
Old 18 May 2003, 05:31 (Ref:602327)   #3
Baritone24

cause they knew better!

Old 18 May 2003, 17:10 (Ref:602686)   #4
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Gordon IS cheap!

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 18 May 2003, 22:18 (Ref:602958)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, a number of races go Dale jr hit everything on the track.
Old 19 May 2003, 02:03 (Ref:603038)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, I was too lazy to rag on him about that.

I'm not against guys rubbing each other... But Dale was fair about it, Tony's usually fair about it, King Richard, Cale Yarborough, Fireball Roberts... All those guys were pretty fair about it. It's cheap shots like the ones Gordon was taking, just shoving guys out of his way, that I really object to.
Old 19 May 2003, 03:21 (Ref:603059)   #7
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If everyone else is fair about it, what is fair?
Old 19 May 2003, 04:03 (Ref:603071)   #8
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suggest you ask Terry Labonte if he thought it was fair when Dale Earnhardt shoved him out of the way and took the win at Bristol in 1999. He may not say so now, out of respect, but I seem to recall at the time his comment was "He better tighten his belts."

Whenever anyone does that to Gordon, all of you Anti-Gordon types cheer like you won a war. But Gordon does it, and it's all about what a schmuck he is. And you know, it used to make me really mad. But you know what it does now? It makes me laugh. You guys are so jealous, it just cracks me up. You just can't accept what is written in the record books because you don't like what it says. But rather you like it or not, it says Jeff Gordon has the best record of all active drivers.

In just over 10 seasons, Gordon has 62 wins, which puts him in the lead among active drivers, and 6th among all drivers in the history of NASCAR. And with 4 Championships, he's in the lead among all active drivers, and 2nd among all drivers in the history of NASCAR.

And the best part is... It really irritates you guys, and I think that is absolutely hilarious!

Last edited by Tim B; 19 May 2003 at 04:04.
Old 19 May 2003, 09:55 (Ref:603253)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
The Winston and Coke 600 are key subjects on the Weekly Chat this Thursday at 8pm BST, 3pm ET in the Chat Room. Come and join us to talk about the race (or Jeff Gordon )
Old 19 May 2003, 14:42 (Ref:603598)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Best team, best car, huge ego, questionable behavior on and off track... He's the Michael Schumacher of NASCAR.

I don't remember the race in question Tim, so I can't comment.

But Gordon _is_ a shmuck, so get's got it coming when someone nails him!

I'm much more apt to like a hardass who's honest about it (Stewart, Harvick) than someone who plays Mr. Good Guy, then takes cheap shots at the on-track competition

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 19 May 2003 at 14:45.
Old 19 May 2003, 15:22 (Ref:603654)   #11
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim B

In just over 10 seasons, Gordon has 62 wins, which puts him in the lead among active drivers, and 6th among all drivers in the history of NASCAR. nd with 4 Championships, he's in the lead among all active drivers, and 2nd among all drivers in the history of NASCAR.
What happened to the "King" and Dale Earnhardt?
Old 20 May 2003, 00:11 (Ref:604114)   #12
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tied for 1st. Duh.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 20 May 2003, 00:56 (Ref:604142)   #13
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
I'm much more apt to like a hardass who's honest about it (Stewart, Harvick) than someone who plays Mr. Good Guy, then takes cheap shots at the on-track competition
So in other words you're more likely to like a guy who'll wreck someone to win any old time, than someone who only does it once in awhile? I guess a driver's overall ability is irrelevant then? And that may be a good description of Harvick, but not Stewart. He's won races without roughing anyone up. In fact, I can't think of any races that he intentionally wrecked someone to win. I'm more apt to like someone with a little talent over someone who can't win without driving like that.

So I still say "So what?" if Gordon gets a little aggressive once in awhile. It ain't like he's a crowd of one in that respect. There are a lot of drivers who are far more aggressive than Gordon. But sadly for them, they just don't have Gordon's talent and driving ability.

But as far as you not remembering the Bristol '99 race, here's a little read for ya. It is of course, old news. But the story is so typical of NASCAR...

Quote:
NASCAR slipped in clutch on Earnhardt no-call

BRISTOL, Tenn. - NASCAR swallowed the whistle. Sports officials have always been reluctant to make calls in the final moments of a contest, even if there's an apparently obvious infraction. That's what happened Saturday night at Bristol Motor Speedway, when Dale Earnhardt spun Terry Labonte on the final lap and won the Goody's 500.

On a night when NASCAR officials had been particularly whistle-happy, their inaction on the Earnhardt-Labonte incident was conspicuous. On Lap 99, Jerry Nadeau had been penalized two laps for "aggressive driving" after hitting points leader Dale Jarrett's already damaged car. On Lap 411, Dave Marcis was docked one lap for "intentionally causing a caution" because NASCAR officials felt he stopped his car on the track despite having ample opportunity to get to pit road.

The implication was that Marcis was trying to get a yellow so Dale Earnhardt -- whose car owner, Richard Childress, has often provided Marcis with support for his racing -- could make a pit stop under caution. The truth is since Earnhardt was pitting on the backstretch, a green-flag stop would have worked more in his favor.

The Nadeau penalty is a more direct parallel to what wasn't called at the end. If Nadeau, who was driving in place of the injured Ernie Irvan, deserved a two-lap penalty for hitting a hobbled race car with 400 laps to go, what did Earnhardt deserve a quarter-mile from the checkered flag?

Nothing, NASCAR decided. Without definitive evidence he intentionally wrecked Labonte, Earnhardt keeps his 73rd career victory and race fans get a controversy. Had Nadeau not been penalized early in the race, the controversy wouldn't nearly have as much meat. There was certainly no more proof of and far less motivation for Nadeau to deliberately wreck Jarrett than for Earnhardt to take out Labonte.

Without the Nadeau penalty, NASCAR would have had a solid defense for swallowing the whistle. If you decide to penalize Earnhardt, how do you go about it? Do you dock Earnhardt a number of laps to push him back in the field? If so, that makes Jimmy Spencer the race winner and not Terry Labonte, who is the aggrieved party. Do you revert back to the running order after Lap 499 to make Labonte the winner? Do that and you take away second from Spencer and third from Ricky Rudd, who did nothing wrong.

The obvious irony is that a controversial finish ending in an Earnhardt victory is exactly the kind of thing Winston Cup race fans live for. Saturday's race will fuel discussions for weeks, and it won't do anything to hurt ticket sales for future races at Bristol, either. Things like what happened Saturday are why you can fill more than 140,000 seats around a half-mile of concrete.

"Race fans are great people," said Earnhardt, who heard boos in Victory Lane. "They’re great critics, too. If they're not cheering they'd better be booing me. I've got big shoulders and I can take the blame or the pressure or whatever. I'm sure we'll hear about the race for a while and we'll just have to take it like it is. I have to take what comes and race from here on. Was I not supposed to try to pass him back? I know I wasn't supposed to try to wreck him, but was I not supposed to try to get back to him and get under him?"

Labonte didn't start any fights Saturday night, but he did sound a warning. "He'd better tighten his belts up" Labonte said of Earnhardt. Earnhardt knew Labonte wouldn't be his best buddy. "We'll have to wait and see if he punches me out or won't talk to me or just waits until the next race or whatever," Earnhardt said. "Terry is a great racer. We've raced a lot over the years. We went hunting and have done some things together, but you know, people get upset. I can apologize to him all day long and that's not going to change what happened."

Does that mean that Earnhardt felt like he has something to apologize for? "I don't know," Earnhardt said. "If it would have been on the other foot and I had been the one turned around, I probably would think about it pretty hard and know he was going to race me hard for the win. I've always took my medicine, took what happened and just sucked it up and go to the next race."
And then of course, there is what Dale Earnhardt told Jeff Gordon once... "If they are booing you, you're doing something right." So going by that sentiment, and the fact that somebody is always whining about Jeff Gordon like you've been doing in this thread, Lee, he must be doing something right.
Old 20 May 2003, 01:21 (Ref:604151)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

That article doesn't show me what happened in the wreck, Tim.

And that's not what I was saying at all. Wrecking a guy is _never_ an acceptable way to make a pass. But if you go for the pass and he won't let you by, sometimes you have to beat on him. Likewise if some guy's trying to pass you, you might have to beat on him. That's just racing, and that's the kind of thing Stewart does and Dale did, without apology, that I respect.

Gordon spun out two cars Saturday night _just_ to get past, with cheap taps from behind. That's not racing, that's being cheap and lazy in your overtaking.

And yeah, the guy's got boatloads of talent, I'm still ****ed no CART team ever picked him up. But talent doesn't excuse cheap moves on the track.
Old 20 May 2003, 01:33 (Ref:604155)   #15
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
You can't say you never saw the end of the Bristol race in 1999, it is only one of the most famous confrontations in recent memory.

Terry Labonte spun out with about ten laps to go. I think Darrell Waltrip ran into him. After stopping for new tires during the caution, Labonte restarted at the back of the lead lap. On fresh rubber, Labonte picked through the traffic in a stunning charge to second, behind Earnhardt. Lap 499, Terry passed Dale for the lead. On the final lap, Dale bumped Terry in turn 2 and sent him spinning across the backstretch, taking out Terry and the rest of the lead lap cars except for Spencer, who was as usual too far behind to get caught in the mess. Earnhardt won, Spencer finished second. Dale said afterwards, "I was trying to rattle his cage a little."

I can't believe you missed that.
Old 20 May 2003, 02:02 (Ref:604164)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Sorry Fish, NASCAR races just all blur together for me, I've seen way too many. Likewise CART. Hell, I can only keep F1 races straight because of the synopses on grandprix.com
Old 20 May 2003, 06:40 (Ref:604273)   #17
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Quote:
That article doesn't show me what happened in the wreck, Tim.

And that's not what I was saying at all. Wrecking a guy is _never_ an acceptable way to make a pass. But if you go for the pass and he won't let you by, sometimes you have to beat on him. Likewise if some guy's trying to pass you, you might have to beat on him. That's just racing, and that's the kind of thing Stewart does and Dale did, without apology, that I respect.

Gordon spun out two cars Saturday night _just_ to get past, with cheap taps from behind. That's not racing, that's being cheap and lazy in your overtaking.

And yeah, the guy's got boatloads of talent, I'm still ****ed no CART team ever picked him up. But talent doesn't excuse cheap moves on the track.
If wrecking someone is never acceptable way to make a pass, then somebody should tell that to about 60% of NASCAR drivers... But most drivers, including Gordon, will tell you what you just said. Sometimes you gotta get tough. I see nothing cheap about it, specially when you're running for a million bucks. For that kind of scratch, I'd spin my own Mother out.

But as usual, I still say I see nothing wrong with ol' Jeffy being as aggressive as anyone else. I'm a firm believer in the "Rubbin' is Racin'" philosophy. But I believe it should apply equally across the board to everyone. If it's fine for one driver, it should be fine for everyone on the track. And in my opinion, it is.

The point I've been trying to make is simply this... It's always cheered when someone else does it and sneered when Gordon does it, and as far as I'm concerned, that's whining. And very amusing to watch too.
Old 20 May 2003, 13:43 (Ref:604739)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

It's all in the approach, Tim. The quarter panel's the cheapest shot possible, and Gordon's favorite. After that, the hard bumper shot, especially with a little slide to the right. Easy ways to spin a guy around. That's what I despise. The rest of the car's fair game, as far as I'm concerned, even as far as elbowing a guy right up into the wall.
Old 20 May 2003, 18:53 (Ref:605173)   #19
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's all in the approach, Tim. The quarter panel's the cheapest shot possible, and Gordon's favorite. After that, the hard bumper shot, especially with a little slide to the right. Easy ways to spin a guy around. That's what I despise. The rest of the car's fair game, as far as I'm concerned, even as far as elbowing a guy right up into the wall.
That post makes no sense at all... there are a million ways to spin a guy around. NONE of them are right... you don't spin someone to pass them. You might rub them to get them out of shape a bit if necessary, but wrecking someone should be off limits no matter what your 'approach' is. Elbowing somone into the wall is fair game to you?? That isn't clean racing, that ain't even racing, that's demo derby or figure-8 kind of stuff.
Old 21 May 2003, 01:07 (Ref:605463)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Okay, I don't encourage that, _but_ when you're alongside, he's got a chance to come back at you! When you just turn up into his quarter panel, there's not a damn thing he can do.
Old 21 May 2003, 12:24 (Ref:605818)   #21
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough, I agree with that...
Old 22 May 2003, 00:18 (Ref:606428)   #22
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So he had a bad night & wrecked a few cars. Big deal.

The BEST part of it all- is that those drivers may not be so polite o the track in Jeffies future.

For those of you who are aghast of the poster boy running over a few cars---get over it. You MUST have fallen for his perfect image projection. Mr PC became an average driver during the Winston. For all those fans who jumped on Mr Cleans bandwagon for his "clean driving" ability--- better find a new reason for being his fan.

For me---(not a fan)---I thought it looked like he was desperit.
Old 22 May 2003, 00:29 (Ref:606435)   #23
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Hi Rosie...
Old 22 May 2003, 06:57 (Ref:606502)   #24
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
So he had a bad night & wrecked a few cars. Big deal.
For me---(not a fan)---I thought it looked like he was desperit.
As my wife (a BIIIG #24 fan) so acidly commented; perhaps he needs the money at the moment.....

Personally I did think the 2nd time was a cheap shot but lets not forget, The Winston is purely for entertainment, not championship standings.
Old 22 May 2003, 15:30 (Ref:606970)   #25
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
As my wife (a BIIIG #24 fan) so acidly commented; perhaps he needs the money at the moment.....

Personally I did think the 2nd time was a cheap shot but lets not forget, The Winston is purely for entertainment, not championship standings.
I am not neccessarily a fan of Jeff's but I believe that he and Tony may be the 2 best Nascar drivers.

However, it was still a cheap shot.