Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Jun 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3827152)   #8476
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
"It did have regulations"

"It is deregulated"

Amusing

Cars awesome. But it isn't a Le Mans Prototype or a race car any more. It is most certainly a purpose built time attack car.
I actually meant to write de-restricted, but I think it was clear.

This car was not purpose built car for a time attack. It is a modified car for time attack. It may seem like semantics to you, but they are two very different things. It's limitations were existing platform, engine and budget.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3827160)   #8477
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They are very different things. But so is a car built to specific regulations and a car outside regulations.

Again, this car is awesome. But people making a big deal about how it's faster than an F1 car. Yeah...but the F1 cars are slowed down by regs. Open one of those up and see how it goes.

Great marketing. Great fun. But won't even be in the race car records list. Probably could've done it with a stock 919 and had it a bit more meaningful.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3827173)   #8478
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Ironically I'd appreciate this marketing exercise more if it was a clean sheet design.

"Deregulated LMP1" is a fitting name, as most of the changes are pretty no-bainer additions and any head designed would implement them in an instant if the rules allowed them, and how much of the performance is simply coming from the deregulated engine? Case in point: when Toyota was running outside the fuel flow rules at Paul Ricard...

Hence a clean sheet design would be more impressive.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3827175)   #8479
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Ironically I'd appreciate this marketing exercise more if it was a clean sheet design.

"Deregulated LMP1" is a fitting name, as most of the changes are pretty no-bainer additions and any head designed would implement them in an instant if the rules allowed them, and how much of the performance is simply coming from the deregulated engine? Case in point: when Toyota was running outside the fuel flow rules at Paul Ricard...

Hence a clean sheet design would be more impressive.
No Budget for that.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3827177)   #8480
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
They are very different things. But so is a car built to specific regulations and a car outside regulations.

Again, this car is awesome. But people making a big deal about how it's faster than an F1 car. Yeah...but the F1 cars are slowed down by regs. Open one of those up and see how it goes.

Great marketing. Great fun. But won't even be in the race car records list. Probably could've done it with a stock 919 and had it a bit more meaningful.
Comparing it to the F1 is not my thing. The Spa record will be broken this year by the current F1 cars.
Porsche will smash the record at the Ring and there will be no F1 time to compare it with.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3827218)   #8481
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Deregulated. Brilliant

Perfect to compare to a regulated F1 car.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3827222)   #8482
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am not sure I understand why people can't accept what the car is. It is not a regulation LMP1 car, nor is it a bespoke design that has no roots in regulations. It's clearly a modern LMP1 car that has been modified beyond the regulations.

The car clearly is relatively similar to it's regulatory incarnation. I have no doubt that Porsche could have taken it even further than they did. The modifications are not THAT extreme. They clearly wanted to "evolve" the design. To show what could be done with the platform. At the same time it keeps it's roots.

Richard
Old 6 Jun 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3827225)   #8483
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
No Budget for that.
Does anyone have any idea of what the budget for this 'tour' actually is?
Old 6 Jun 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3827227)   #8484
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Don't think anyone knows, but I don't think the bean counters would have approved it if it was in any way close to a WEC season's budget, so I'm guessing it's probably an order of magnitude less. So if last season they spent 250 million Euros or something, I can't see the budget for this being more than 25-30 million.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3827239)   #8485
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, a drop in the ocean then. Good to see that the money is being well spent.....
Old 6 Jun 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3827258)   #8486
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If anything it's got everyone talking about it. Free publicity for Porsche. Love it or not, it's generating interest and discussion. Something the car wouldn't have much of if it just sat in a garage or museum somewhere. Not to mention that the 'regular' version is being driven by motoring journalists. Look for those in the magazine isle!
Old 6 Jun 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3827262)   #8487
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Ah, a drop in the ocean then. Good to see that the money is being well spent.....
I suspect it is a damn sight less than racing! What with it being regulationless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
If anything it's got everyone talking about it. Free publicity for Porsche.
Free?! Well yes, apart from the cost of this building this car, transporting it and running it for this publicity campaign.

It’s obviously thought to be cost effective because they are doing it.

Meanwhile. I like the car, it is fun. What it isn’t is a car that will win Le Mans. What it isn’t also is an example of how LMP could be quicker than F1.

It’s just a bit of fun to get a bit of publicity.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3827274)   #8488
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, it's got people talking here I guess, keeping alive a thread that should effectively be dead by now.....
Old 6 Jun 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3827275)   #8489
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Don't think anyone knows, but I don't think the bean counters would have approved it if it was in any way close to a WEC season's budget, so I'm guessing it's probably an order of magnitude less. So if last season they spent 250 million Euros or something, I can't see the budget for this being more than 25-30 million.
Even that sounds way too much. Besides the initial design & engineering and building all they're now doing are basically private tests with a reduced team.
Old 6 Jun 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3827282)   #8490
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
For Porsche it's free relative to running a full WEC schedule and LM and they're getting the returns they want on it on a dollar vs ROI scale. We do have to remember that a Porsche Motorsport official was quoted as saying that there was little ROI to running a full WEC season if you got didn't count Le Mans.

Also, if the WEC program cost 200 million USD including Le Mans, and they still wanted to do something to celebrate their 70th anniversary as a car maker, doing this plus running their GT factory teams probably costs tons less than the LMP1 budget alone from last season.

Of course, though this part of the note is kind of off topic, but I think that Porsche's comments struck the ACO and lead to the rule of having to do the full 2018/19 season to be automatically eligible for either LM this year or next year.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 00:10 (Ref:3827290)   #8491
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am not sure I understand why people can't accept what the car is. It is not a regulation LMP1 car, nor is it a bespoke design that has no roots in regulations. It's clearly a modern LMP1 car that has been modified beyond the regulations.

The car clearly is relatively similar to it's regulatory incarnation. I have no doubt that Porsche could have taken it even further than they did. The modifications are not THAT extreme. They clearly wanted to "evolve" the design. To show what could be done with the platform. At the same time it keeps it's roots.

Richard
It's a marketing gimmick by Porsche. This car won Le Mans and it is faster than an F1 car. Unless you follow motorsport, who is to know.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 01:50 (Ref:3827294)   #8492
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regulations or not, it is about to go super fast around the Ring and I wish I was there to see it!

It would be cool if they do a track map of their attempted record lap with the fastest lap at the N24 this year by a Porsche overlain.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 04:34 (Ref:3827298)   #8493
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it a coincidence that they are talking about this just around Le Mans... Cheaply steal some headlines from Toyota
Old 7 Jun 2018, 04:59 (Ref:3827300)   #8494
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I believe there is no coincidence at all.....
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3827338)   #8495
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
What could it do for a laptime at Le Mans ?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:48 (Ref:3827363)   #8496
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
What could it do for a laptime at Le Mans ?
And/or is there room between chicanes these days to outdo the old WM 'highest speed on the Mulsanne' record?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3827404)   #8497
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
And/or is there room between chicanes these days to outdo the old WM 'highest speed on the Mulsanne' record?
Preparation - Full battery charge, super sticky tyres, fumes in the fuel tank. On the track - Flat through Tertre Rouge, whack on the electrical boost to the maximum plus open up the DRS and keep it pinned!
Old 7 Jun 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3827409)   #8498
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The ACO could spring a surprise with a couple of demo laps for the 919 evo to see what it could do, sure porsche would love to do it.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3827410)   #8499
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Is it a coincidence that they are talking about this just around Le Mans... Cheaply steal some headlines from Toyota
Maybe, maybe not. If they wanted to do as you say, then I would say the same weekend as LeMans or right after might do it. Was the Spa track record timed to overshadow the WEC Spa event?

Maybe Porsche is doing this on their own schedule? I mean it is the season to be on track right now. Anyhow... how could this car steal headlines from races? As everyone who is against this project says "Its not a race car".

Richard
Old 7 Jun 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3827416)   #8500
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The ACO could spring a surprise with a couple of demo laps for the 919 evo to see what it could do, sure porsche would love to do it.
I'm not sure that ACO and the spectators would appreciate such a come back after Porsche have left the championship.