Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Dec 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2995747)   #1
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saddles for double ARB mounting

This may not be the right place to post, however it does have historic car connotations so...

I think I mentioned this before here.
I remember seeing a Ford Anglia or perhaps it was a Ford Classic that had its front ARB doubled up by using... 2 No. double saddles, in about 6 positions around the bar is the only way I could describe it.
Basically a second ARB was mounted on top of the existing one, thereby doubling its stiffness.
What I want to know is, where could I get a dozen or so of the 'double saddles' that could be used to clamp a second ARB on top of the original?

Thanks.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2995761)   #2
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ones on my anglia came from Milton.

http://www.dalek.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...eed/Milton.pdf
Old 5 Dec 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2995774)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Normally they are mounted underneath with 4 clamps, extra clamps will increase the stiffness and they are very easy to make out of aluminium.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Dec 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2995789)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Willment and Allard used to sell them in the 60s.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2995895)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they still trading?
Old 6 Dec 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2995914)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Ha! as Gordon says, easy to make, and also gives you an element of adjustability

not sure they're alowed for App K though? I mean, why do something for a tenner when you can have an assortment of different sizes for £250 each!
Old 6 Dec 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2996003)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
why do something for a tenner when you can have an assortment of different sizes for £250 each!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Dec 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2996005)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Willment and Allard used to sell them in the 60s.
I thought that I was "a young thing" until I read that !
Old 6 Dec 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2996083)   #9
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Gordon. I think Willment sold them for £1-19-11d. Do you remember 'old' money?
It's good to be young like us, eh!
Old 6 Dec 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2996085)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I'd known you wanted some I could have bought some from the Allard garage near where I lived in 1967.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2996105)   #11
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any reason why doubling up bars on other cars wouldn't work?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 6 Dec 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2996134)   #12
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks guys, I knew this place would be a mine of info.

Is there any reason why doubling up bars on other cars wouldn't work?

Nope, none that I can think of providing it fits ok. My intention is to fit an extra one to a Fiesta.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2996204)   #13
davspeed
Rookie

United Kingdom
north lincs
davspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have used this type of thing before.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydraulic-...item20bf578b1d

Last edited by davspeed; 7 Dec 2011 at 00:02.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 00:00 (Ref:2996206)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
It does the same thing as a bigger bar, the only downside is ground clearance/more weight and depending on the car steering lock, as the clamps can get in the way of the tyres.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2996305)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
there's no reason why you coukldn't double clamp a tubular one on most old fords, and put it on the inside rather than under

the tube would save the weight added in P40
Old 7 Dec 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2996596)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
the tube would save the weight added in P40
P40 what's that ? is it some sort of paperwork ?