Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Apr 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3232717)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheese Kia looking at Touring Cars?

Here's the story and some more.

Would touring cars work for Kia? Considering how the brand is developing over the past few years, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Though the question is, what series?

The BTCC or WTCC would be a good fit for the Pro Cee'd, DTM would be curious (considering the Grand-Am/Super GT tie up and throwing a Korean manufacturer would shake things up) and I could maybe see the Optima in the V8 Supercars or Superstars.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3232827)   #2
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't KIA into BTCC/WTCC roumor for AGES now
Old 12 Apr 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3232829)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I would think it would be a WTCC effort if there is one at all.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3232832)   #4
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure they are looking at the WTCC. Same (or almost the same) engine regs as in the WRC in which Hyundai is going to participate. Plus it makes sence with new rules coming into force next year.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 08:53 (Ref:3232848)   #5
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's the Kia UK managing director so he would only be talking about the UK.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3232851)   #6
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think so, as the entire interview is about Kia and Hyundai from a global point of view.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3232860)   #7
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
I don't think so, as the entire interview is about Kia and Hyundai from a global point of view.
article says
"Kia is rumoured to be considering a European-based touring car campaign"

thats a lot different to being a world touring car campaign
Old 12 Apr 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3232862)   #8
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True that. I actually wouldn't mind if they chose BTCC over WTCC, though from the WTCC-WRC-Technology sharing point of view WTCC would make more sense.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3232869)   #9
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
True that. I actually wouldn't mind if they chose BTCC over WTCC, though from the WTCC-WRC-Technology sharing point of view WTCC would make more sense.
but that WTCC-WRC technology sharing hasnt really worked. how many manufacturers use the same engine in WTCC/WRC? probably only Citreoen if they enter.

Seat just sell or lease their engines to teams so the engine hasnt worked to bring them back into the WTCC as a manufacturer.
BMW and Mini shared it once but both programmes have now stopped.

Last edited by touring fan01; 12 Apr 2013 at 10:22.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3232896)   #10
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
article says
"Kia is rumoured to be considering a European-based touring car campaign"

thats a lot different to being a world touring car campaign
I read it that they might consider WTCC, and have their base (workshop) located in Europe. It's not so good from an economical perspective to race in WTCC and have your workshop in e.g. Asia. I think all current WTCC teams have their base in Europe, and they can cut costs of sharing oversea shipping to the S & N American and Asian races.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3232897)   #11
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Sure has.. This is the earliest story I could find..

Back in 2005!!!

http://www.touringcartimes.com/2005/...ld-enter-btcc/
Old 12 Apr 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3232909)   #12
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
but that WTCC-WRC technology sharing hasnt really worked. how many manufacturers use the same engine in WTCC/WRC? probably only Citreoen if they enter.

Seat just sell or lease their engines to teams so the engine hasnt worked to bring them back into the WTCC as a manufacturer.
BMW and Mini shared it once but both programmes have now stopped.
At the moment none, but BMW and Mini as well as Ford used base engines for both series. It wasn't exactly plug&play, but it does show the idea was a good one.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3232912)   #13
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC would be the cheapest way to put a toe in the water for a manufacturer.

Plus easier to get good results from the off ?
Old 12 Apr 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3232933)   #14
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over in the United States...

Would love to see KIA with a Touring car program in Europe.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3235558)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
In the good 'ol Supertouring/BTCC days, it was always rumored that a Korean manufacturer was always interested in racing. I think everyone assumed it was Hyundai since they had supported a semi-works effort in the ASTC using an Elantra. Not sure if the rumor also extended to the Korean manufacturer as being Kia.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3235562)   #16
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention the Daewoo Lacetti............which was a Chevrolet in Europe and a Suzuki in the States
Old 17 Apr 2013, 16:02 (Ref:3235849)   #17
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, if it happens, I reckon it will be BTCC based. However, who could build the cars, would it be done with full backing and most importantly who could drive? (and when)
Old 17 Apr 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3235855)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Personally, if it happens, I reckon it will be BTCC based. However, who could build the cars, would it be done with full backing and most importantly who could drive? (and when)
If such a manufacturer came along, then i'd imagine that any of the bigger non-works teams would jump at the chance of a works deal, so probably really WSR and Motorbase are the two which stand out. Of course, if it were me calling the shots on behalf of a marketing department, i'd be looking at RML or Prodrive to build cars and run a team.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3235860)   #19
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If such a manufacturer came along, then i'd imagine that any of the bigger non-works teams would jump at the chance of a works deal, so probably really WSR and Motorbase are the two which stand out. Of course, if it were me calling the shots on behalf of a marketing department, i'd be looking at RML or Prodrive to build cars and run a team.
But WSR and Motorbase have invested heavily in their own NGTCs. I would say someone like RML, who "could be" looking for a works deal. Prodrive would be interesting. Probably non of them. Although this would be fantastic news. All we need is Volvo...

Last edited by BtccLee; 17 Apr 2013 at 16:36.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3235867)   #20
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
and get an ace former champion like Giovanardi?
Old 17 Apr 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3235877)   #21
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shaun Hollamby has said he'd drop plans for the NGTC Astra if he could secure a manufacturer for AMD to partner with.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3237992)   #22
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AUTOSPORT are carrying a Kia-related story.

It's a shame that more European-based car manufacturers don't get involved. Personally I'll never buy a car that's not European.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107004
Old 22 Apr 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3238012)   #23
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given how long this has been rumoured for, it'll probably be another five years or possibly even more before we see them on the grid.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3238111)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would Alan Gow come out right now and tell everyone about Kia? Interesting I thought.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3239268)   #25
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe he has another (unnamed, more prestigeous) brand in talks and wants to push them over the line to signing up?