Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3869662)   #3051
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If you want to blame anyone, blame Cameron for the mess he left! I don’t believe for one minute that Mrs May ever wanted the job. And as for there being a more suitable candidate..........
Mike, I am not at all a political person (probably a reaction as my Dad most certainly was), so don't really follow their events that closely. However, I do agree with your sentiment about there being anyone (anywhere) who would be a better candidate for the job!
Old 12 Dec 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3869667)   #3052
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If you want to blame anyone, blame Cameron for the mess he left! I don’t believe for one minute that Mrs May ever wanted the job. And as for there being a more suitable candidate..........
Yep . Fully agree Mike
Old 12 Dec 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3869679)   #3053
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a legimate vote set up for possibly the wrong reasons. So I can't let her get away with failing to do what she said she would do.

It may not matter in a very short time because the EU is falling apart at the seams. Everyone forgets that it is not a sovereign state, unlike the USA which is the only equivalent.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3869682)   #3054
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It was a legimate vote set up for possibly the wrong reasons. So I can't let her get away with failing to do what she said she would do.

It may not matter in a very short time because the EU is falling apart at the seams. Everyone forgets that it is not a sovereign state, unlike the USA which is the only equivalent.
Yes, it can't really stagger on much longer without some wholesale changes. And when it does happen there will be a lot of luxury apartments going cheap on the Knokke sea-front!!
Old 12 Dec 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3869687)   #3055
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Yes, it can't really stagger on much longer without some wholesale changes. And when it does happen there will be a lot of luxury apartments going cheap on the Knokke sea-front!!
I’m still puzzled as to why so many migrants are spending thousands to be ‘shipped’ across the channel- or is the relative chaos of France at present worse that the relative chaos of the U.K.?
Old 12 Dec 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3869690)   #3056
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The MSA?

Seriously though, how could somebody who voted to 'stay in' be in charge of 'getting us out' Bit like putting King Herod in charge of baby sitting
Old 12 Dec 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3869692)   #3057
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I’m still puzzled as to why so many migrants are spending thousands to be ‘shipped’ across the channel- or is the relative chaos of France at present worse that the relative chaos of the U.K.?
It puzzles me too as I know how generously those who decide to stay in France, particularly the young, are looked-after by the government here. I can only assume that those who are determined to get to Britain really do believe the 'streets paved with gold' bit.

Did you see the story on the news last night about six Iranians in a sinking inflatable crossing the Channel in the dark? They were spotted by a Dover fishing boat, who offered assistance, but they refused help until they knew they were within British territorial waters, at which point they were picked up by Border Force. The fishing boat shadowed them all the way with their searchlight as they were convinced that with no lights they would get run over by one of the many cargo ships in the area.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3869695)   #3058
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I can only assume that those who are determined to get to Britain really do believe the 'streets paved with gold' bit.
Maybe they can point in me in the right direction!

Quote:
Did you see the story on the news last night about six Iranians in a sinking inflatable crossing the Channel in the dark? They were spotted by a Dover fishing boat, who offered assistance, but they refused help until they knew they were within British territorial waters, at which point they were picked up by Border Force. The fishing boat shadowed them all the way with their searchlight as they were convinced that with no lights they would get run over by one of the many cargo ships in the area.
I'm always amazed and impressed by the unselfish behaviour of seamen. Another example recently- the Cargo Ship that went to the rescue of the girl round the world sailor.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3869696)   #3059
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I sincerely hope not! She lacks any semblance of capability in terms of people and negotiation skills. Worst PM the country has had since Ted Heath.
There's been a lot of discussion about whether she was the worst home secretary ever as well.

If she'd signed up (as she could have when she was Home Secretary) to the agreement limiting the length of stay of foreign citizens (like every(?) other EU country did) the current problem might not have existed in the first place.

Whatever happens she'll be alright, her husband's helping large companies to avoid tax means the pair of them will be well rewarded.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3869697)   #3060
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Lack of identity cards makes it much easier to remain in the UK.

Benefits they would receive in France (and most other EU countries) are better (as of course are all the services that haven't been decimated by conservatism) so that isn't a reason, apart from possible linguistic issues.

The other issue is where they ultimately want to end up, a large number who were in the Calais camp said they wanted to go to Canada via the UK.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3869698)   #3061
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I'm always amazed and impressed by the unselfish behaviour of seamen. Another example recently- the Cargo Ship that went to the rescue of the girl round the world sailor.
Its an obligation under Regulation 33 of Chapter 5 of the International Rules for Saving Lives at Sea (Solas).

That said, i think it should be an obligation of those organising round the workd Yacht races to provide rescue boats to cover the field and not rely on tge chance that there will be a merchant ship in reasonable proximity.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3869701)   #3062
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

The son of some friends of mine was involved in a mid-Atlantic rescue a few years ago. He was on a tall ship, taking part in a race, when they got a call from US Coastguard, that two girls rowing the Atlantic had capsized & were floating on their upturned boat. As my friends' ship was apparently the nearest to the location they were asked to look out for them. They did indeed spot the girls & effected a rescue. However, one of the girls questioned her sanity when she saw what she took to be a pirate ship bearing down on her!

Having picked the girls up, they informed US Coastguard, who then requested then to ram the dinghy to sink it. Not in a wooden ship we're not, was the answer!!
Old 12 Dec 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3869706)   #3063
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Although in fairness to Cameron, given the result of the referendum, it did show how split the country was (and is) in relation to the EU and that a majority were in favour of Brexit. I know he didn't really do it for the country - it was about the Tory party - and maybe not the wisest decision (I would stress the word maybe).
Old 12 Dec 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3869712)   #3064
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
On a completely different note- had to chuckle at the news item on the German Chocolate spill after a storage tank sprung a leak! Sounds like they are struggling to clear it up after it set.

Seem to remember a problem in the UK not that long ago when a tanker spilled its cargo of liquid choc, and the road was closed for some time due to the difficulty in cleaning up the solid version.....
Old 12 Dec 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3869713)   #3065
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It puzzles me too as I know how generously those who decide to stay in France, particularly the young, are looked-after by the government here. I can only assume that those who are determined to get to Britain really do believe the 'streets paved with gold' bit.
Ever heard about the story Paris having an helicopters fleet just to send nice perfume scents above our heads? You're right they are much more looked-after than numerous homeless we already have. And its a well considered job for any "première dame" to raise funds for a foreign country. May be they should "balayer devant leur porte" before.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3869715)   #3066
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
There's been a lot of discussion about whether she was the worst home secretary ever as well.

If she'd signed up (as she could have when she was Home Secretary) to the agreement limiting the length of stay of foreign citizens (like every(?) other EU country did) the current problem might not have existed in the first place.
Yes, whenever I see remainers (I do hate that term) moaning that they can't have visa free travel in Europe anymore I despair since they don't realise we have only ninety days(?) in any one visit, unless we pay taxes and/or are working in that country, are students in that country, or are employed in that country. Been there done that.

So, with apologies to everyone on here, I'm going to explain why, in the majority of cases people who cared voted to leave the EU.

First, we, none of us would want to leave Europe since; a, it's geographically impossible; and b, we like it and we are europeans.

But, let's not talk immigration or illegal immigrants. Neither of those problems would exist if the EU countries stuck to the Le Touquet agreement, whereby immigrants seeking asylum in the EU were to be processed in the country where they landed. That worked so well that Italy shipped them on via the free borders to France who shrugged their shoulders and said, let's stick them in camps near Calais. The process was naive in the extreme.

What happened is what we see now and thus they are not welcome in France (or any other country other than Germany) and so they end up trying to get to the UK.

Likewise as has been pointed out we didn't sign the limitation period. But that would have meant joining Schengen and the Euro.

Then there's free movement of goods and services. We signed up for that when we voted (in 1971) to join the EEC. I like it, everyone likes it.

So, why should the UK leave?

Well certainly it will cost more in visas to travel to Europe, no problem there. Likewise our mobile phone bills when roaming may be more expensive (unlikely). Without joining the Euro we can limit the amount of time immigrants can stay in the country unless they are working, are students or, well sounds similar to Schengen doesn't it?

Then there's the fact that in the Euro we can't control our own business to the extent that being out of the Euro "despite Brexit" the UK is outperforming the EU in trade and business. Just look to France, Portugal, Greece and Italy for evidence of how well the EU treats its friendly states. By the way they are not "Countries" but "EU States". You can see where all this is heading can't you? For the record I'm working on a project that crosses Greece and Italy. Both countries are far worse off than when I visited before the EU disaster.

Outside of the EU the UK can make trade deals with other countries, including the EU (which as I said earlier is not a country but a money making organisation). As a net contributor to the EU it would be silly for them not to make us stay. That said it won't be a seamless transition and there will be some pain no doubt. But in my experience that pain is usually political and thus minimal, compared to the benefits.

£350m per month in the coffers. If anyone voted just for that they wanted their bumps felt. Great gimmick and indeed demonstrated the cost of being in the EU, although it is actually more and of course it's not going to the NHS when we leave.

Then there's the ECJ. I give you Vnok as a good example of a flawed and politically motivated court. In the case of Vnok the landowner should have had third party liability insurance. He didn't so in a normal court of law he would have been sued for damages. Instead to make sure only businesses can deal with things, they want to change the laws for motor insurance. You want that bunch of corrupt, ill equipped paid mouthpieces to overrule laws made in the UK? They do right now and it should cease forthwith.

In summary the only reason why anyone would want to stay in this benighted organisation would be because they are being paid to do so. And thus I suspect they'd be next to ****ing useless if they had to work for a living.

So, after this, I'm just going to cook some Italian sausages to eat with my Albanian baked potato and Heinz Baked Beans. I'm sooooo European.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3869717)   #3067
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Peter Mallett;3869715]Yes, whenever I see remainers (I do hate that term) moaning

We call them 'remoaners'
Old 12 Dec 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3869724)   #3068
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
All getting a bit political....

And as far as I can tell- everyone is moaning, whichever way they originally voted!
Old 12 Dec 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3869736)   #3069
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Actually no. I'm not moaning at all just fed up with being cast as a little Englander and racist. I'm neither.

So, what will you do when Vnok is made law?
Old 12 Dec 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3869745)   #3070
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Actually no. I'm not moaning at all just fed up with being cast as a little Englander and racist. I'm neither.

So, what will you do when Vnok is made law?
My comment was aimed at our politicians ......

Do you know something more about VNUK than was reported last month?
Old 12 Dec 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3869755)   #3071
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No it is still awaiting ratification. But there are other examples I just used that because it's relevant to our interests.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3869768)   #3072
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes. Very happy . I’ve just shouted over the fence .
Old 12 Dec 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3869771)   #3073
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A certain irony there! Do you think even worse than Gordon Brown?

No, he was the worst. At least Ted Heath won an election.

I don't even think Brown was a good chancellor.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3869799)   #3074
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Pretty good assessment Peter, matches my outlook.

May isn't the most competent (or indeed charismatic) PM we've had, but I'm beggared if I can find anyone in the current crop of MPs who would be better.....possibly Hilary Benn, but he's on the wrong side of the house

Anyway, be interesting to see what the rebellious Tory MPs do now they've got themselves committed to at least 12 months of Teresa
Old 13 Dec 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3869835)   #3075
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"rebellious Tory MPs" The only politicians with the balls to fight for our country,s independence.