Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 Aug 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3125815)   #326
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If Dallara's past performance on car development is anything to go by, I don't see the jury returning a favourable verdict.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3126588)   #327
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's have some positive rumours for a change, shall we? "Positivity" and "message forums" don't really go well together these days, but I digress...

Alex Zanardi fancies a shot at the Indy 500 - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102023

Would be a sight to see. Good luck with the Paralympics Alex!
Old 29 Aug 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3126748)   #328
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno Junqueira will replace the injured Josef Newgarden in the #67 SFHR car at Baltimore. That's quite an interesting driver choice, I'd say. Here's hoping he can acquaint himself with the new car quickly.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-at-baltimore/
Old 29 Aug 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3126914)   #329
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like Kirby is channeling mountainstar:

At the heart of this latest disagreement between the team owners and sanctioning body is the sad state of IndyCar's overall media exposure and sponsorship income which has driven the series down the spec car route resulting in the current truly Soviet era centrally-planned, cost-controlled car entirely removed from the free market.

Wonder where he got that idea from?

http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no350.html

Funny how history repeats itself.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3127160)   #330
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote from me: "Is the purpose of IndyCar to provide cheap, profitable racing opportunities for poor, downtrodden owners like Andretti, Ganassi, Penske et al or is it to sanction a series where owners and drivers want to contest a championship that fans want to see?"

I'd love for someone at IndyCar to answer this question. I'd love for anyone to answer this question, actually. Why does IndyCar exist? Typically, a series exists/continues to exist because there is a sufficient fanbase to support it. The TV is definitely not there and the gate seems to be "iffy' at best.

Aside from IndyCar management, who/what drives the justification to continue the series?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3127164)   #331
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Quote from me: "Is the purpose of IndyCar to provide cheap, profitable racing opportunities for poor, downtrodden owners like Andretti, Ganassi, Penske et al or is it to sanction a series where owners and drivers want to contest a championship that fans want to see?"

I'd love for someone at IndyCar to answer this question. I'd love for anyone to answer this question, actually. Why does IndyCar exist? Typically, a series exists/continues to exist because there is a sufficient fanbase to support it. The TV is definitely not there and the gate seems to be "iffy' at best.

Aside from IndyCar management, who/what drives the justification to continue the series?
A very interesting post. Some might say the series is a mere afterthought with pride of place and focus being the Indy 500; a top open wheel series it's not.

As for your initial question, "Is the purpose of IndyCar to provide cheap, profitable racing opportunities for poor, downtrodden owners like Andretti, Ganassi, Penske et al or is it to sanction a series where owners and drivers want to contest a championship that fans want to see?", why not e-mail Ropin' Randy and see what he has to say?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3127174)   #332
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Not a bad idea, bjohnson....
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 01:53 (Ref:3127179)   #333
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post

I think there are a number of series that should answer this great question.
Truthfully the answer is in the owners corner.

Spec one make club formulae marketed as national and international competitions!
Old 30 Aug 2012, 09:38 (Ref:3127282)   #334
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think there are a number of series that should answer this great question.
Truthfully the answer is in the owners corner.
Is that the team owners or the IMS owners?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3127352)   #335
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to see Junky back
Old 30 Aug 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3127620)   #336
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is that the team owners or the IMS owners?
Usually both. There's got to be something in it for both sides or one walks away. Hence the problems now - the promise that had been offered wasn't delivered so the team owners aren't happy.

Unfortunately, the owners had their shot at running the show and made a hash of that as well.

Lots of one-make series work this way with dwindling interest and dwindling grids and Indycar needs to do something different (e.g. the aero packages) to make it look worthwhile.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3127624)   #337
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The IMS owners have the power. It's the only open-wheel venue that promises a pay-day if not that then a nation-wide marketing windfall. Without the Speedway and with NASCAR's fat behind sitting on the Indycars asthmatic chest, Indycar turns into a clubbie series.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3127661)   #338
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I overlooked mountainstar's post but Kirby has it right. Interesting he doesn't offer a 'solution', then why should he.

Old 31 Aug 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3127801)   #339
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I overlooked mountainstar's post but Kirby has it right. Interesting he doesn't offer a 'solution', then why should he.

As always with people who complain about "teh evul commienazisocalist gummint!!!!!1eleven"
Old 31 Aug 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3127922)   #340
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
As always with people who complain about "teh evul commienazisocalist gummint!!!!!1eleven"
If you haven't, you should read Kirby's article.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3127932)   #341
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed.

... And in the various articles Kirby has published he provides a number of different opinions from prominent people in American motor sport. It is our job to take all of the facts and opinions presented and form our own opinions based on our own tastes and beliefs.

Chris
Old 31 Aug 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3127941)   #342
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Indeed.

... And in the various articles Kirby has published he provides a number of different opinions from prominent people in American motor sport. It is our job to take all of the facts and opinions presented and form our own opinions based on our own tastes and beliefs.

Chris
That's the mark of a good journalist.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3127987)   #343
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
It says "404". So I guess you should insert a proper link.

Thus, I wasn't referring to Kirby's article, but rather to "Interesting he doesn't offer a 'solution', then why should he." Because that seems to be a rather "American" (I know I'm gonna get bashed for this, so I won't even bother to apologize!) disease. Complaining about some higher-up, in this case probably the IMS and in some other cases the "gummint", but not offering proper and reasonable solutions on their own. Lowering taxes/raising "revenue" probably isn't a reasonable solution, because there is next to no money to do anything with it anyway.

But politics should stay the f' out here anyway. This is an auto racing forum after all.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3127995)   #344
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I got the link from mountainstar's post and it worked fine but here it is again, http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no350.html, enjoy.

Quote:
Thus, I wasn't referring to Kirby's article, but rather to "Interesting he doesn't offer a 'solution', then why should he." Because that seems to be a rather "American" (I know I'm gonna get bashed for this, so I won't even bother to apologize!) disease. Complaining about some higher-up, in this case probably the IMS and in some other cases the "gummint", but not offering proper and reasonable solutions on their own. Lowering taxes/raising "revenue" probably isn't a reasonable solution, because there is next to no money to do anything with it anyway.

But politics should stay the f' out here anyway. This is an auto racing forum after all.
Why should he offer a solution to the problems the IRL is facing, they aren't of his making? Gordon Kirby is a journalist and in this article many of the problems faced and created by AOWR from USAC to CART to the IRL, are discussed in the interview with Dan Gurney.

I don't see what the "gummint" got to do with it?
Old 31 Aug 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3127998)   #345
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
I got the link from mountainstar's post and it worked fine but here it is again, http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no350.html, enjoy.
Thank you. But in the meantime, I just went to Mr.Kirby's site on my own.

Quote:
Why should he offer a solution to the problems the IRL is facing, they aren't of his making? Gordon Kirby is a journalist and in this article many of the problems faced and created by AOWR from USAC to CART to the IRL, are discussed in the interview with Dan Gurney.
I know the stories about the splits. But we shouldn't look back to the past. We should look to what we have right now, and how we should try to improve things for the future. Maybe that's what some journalists should do, although I concede that they should put hard facts first.

Quote:
You got a mail!
Old 31 Aug 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3128001)   #346
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Thank you. But in the meantime, I just went to Mr.Kirby's site on my own.

I know the stories about the splits. But we shouldn't look back to the past. We should look to what we have right now, and how we should try to improve things for the future. Maybe that's what some journalists should do, although I concede that they should put hard facts first.
You need to put the history of AOWR it in it's context, doing and by doing so Dan Gurney was showing that there was a pattern that's existed throughout the history of AOWR that still continues.

Quote:
You got a mail!
What's that got to with anything?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 03:56 (Ref:3128109)   #347
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

You are ranting on and have no idea what you are talking about, neither the original conversation we had on here nor Kirby's article.

Read the article first for one thing.

What I referred to in my post was a conversation we had on here about the structure of the irl and how it is run and it's similarities with various government systems. It was a good conversation and one that I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby drew inspiration from.

Also it's not gummint, it's guvment if you are from Alabama and gubermint if you are from Texas.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 04:11 (Ref:3128111)   #348
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

To offer a "solution", is to write a book and I'm sure in the past Kirby has offered solutions, I have offered solutions, other posters have offered solutions and probably a thousand other people have offered solutions.

However with the current regime, they are running the rut they always have and they hear no voices outside of the 465 freeway.

I'm of the opinion that as long as the speedway holds ownership of the series it goes nowhere. In fact that is probably the point of the article as well, laying out the similarities between now and the late 1970's when there was Indy and then there was some other indycar races that were reluctantly run and poorly supported. There was no viable, commercially successful series and it was impossible for team owners to even break even, much less make a profit. A lot of speedway types have called this the original split, but there wasn't anything to really split from as the schedule was almost non existent.

The V8 Supercar model has been very successful and it is a mix of team owners and their franchises as well as a block of independent ownership. I think what you need is for a successful business person to come in, own 40% of the business and with the other 60% owned by teams.

When the day comes that the speedway sells out and as long as it doesn't go to another pack of idiots, there will not be any future for American open wheel racing. It peaked at the end of the 20th century and nothing the like of it will likely be seen again.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 04:18 (Ref:3128114)   #349
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
You need to put the history of AOWR it in it's context, doing and by doing so Dan Gurney was showing that there was a pattern that's existed throughout the history of AOWR that still continues.
Back then there were people like Dan Gurney. Where are similar people now? I don't see them right now.

Probably the big issue with team owners in open wheel racing is that in almost all cases, it's not their core business. That was the big issue with Champcar, it was run as a hobby business and never had any professional business structure put in place. Andrew Craig was probably the closest the sport came to having a decent manager, many did not like him, but he was very successful during his tenure.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 05:03 (Ref:3128121)   #350
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I have offered solutions
Hahaha