Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Oct 2003, 03:31 (Ref:740013)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AAA Winton?

Does anyone have any reports from the AAA Historic Meeting at Winton?
Old 4 Oct 2003, 23:25 (Ref:740657)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I havent ventured down there Crash but I can tell you its 9.30am here in Albury and its pouring with rain so I would say it will be a fairly wet and wild weekend down there.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 02:30 (Ref:740727)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect the rain is down that far - lap times for the Austin Healeys in qualifying was 1:40's, race 1 1:41's and todays race 2 1:41's - I just picked a category at random.

All results, lap charts, times and statistics here: http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=w0307

Last edited by RaceTime; 5 Oct 2003 at 02:30.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 22:22 (Ref:741368)   #4
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Weekend

Well the weekend has been run and won, and NO the world didn't collapse without the involvement of the CAMS.

The AASA (Australian AutoSport Alliance) sanctioned Australian Historic Motorfest was a great weekend, there were enough flag marshalls, enough fire, safety, medical & recovery people, enough race control people, enough stewards, lots of competitors, some great cars, good crowd, no injuries, the sky didn't fall in, and to make a great weekend, even the weather was fabulous, it rained at Wangaratta and Seymour, but not a drop of rain at the track.
There was some significant visitors present, including Phillip Smiles (and I now know where his name came from), some Race Track owners/managers from lots of different locations throughout Australia, one was even competeing, even a CAMS senior official was seen enjoying the motorsport through his binoculars.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 22:36 (Ref:741379)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

Want to put a name to the bonocular owners - after all - public race meeting so he can't claim to be hiding behind a 'secretive weekend'..
Old 5 Oct 2003, 23:22 (Ref:741422)   #6
Big Trev
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Want to put a name to the bonocular owners - after all - public race meeting so he can't claim to be hiding behind a 'secretive weekend'..
I'd love to, but for the life of me I can't remember his name - true. Maybe somebody else who was involved can let us know. I will try to make some enquiries as well.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 05:56 (Ref:741546)   #7
SAMS
Rookie

SAMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He may have had the intials of BK
Old 6 Oct 2003, 06:09 (Ref:741552)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Thought it might be .... why doesn't it surprise me then??
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:15 (Ref:741703)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No major rain just a quick shower to make one race interesting.

Good racing as Trev said, Competitors where consulted and classes merged after practice to allow more races for everyone (that would never happen at another event up there).

The larger number of races meant a few competitors wore out their cars so they also moved cars forward to eliminate gaps in the grids.

I don't think anyone left disappointed (except for the Grp A 318 JPS BMW driver whose door was stoved in when the Turn 1 funnel caught a few cars out in one race).

Apparently a AAA historic meeting will be held at Queensland Raceway.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 13:07 (Ref:741903)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumour has it, the second weekend of February.

I like rumours
Old 7 Oct 2003, 09:40 (Ref:742763)   #11
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Crashy it ain't no rumour lad - it's a happening. The first AASA (Australian AutoSport Alliance)permitted race meeting will be held at Queensland Raceway on the 14/15th February 2004. It is planned as a primarily "Historic Meeting" - and with AAA, any car older than 10 years is historic - and they don't need log books or COD's.

Hopefully this will mean many cars (& drivers)get dusted off over summer and see the light of day in a CAMS free world. Is that a rainbow I see in the sky - a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 12:54 (Ref:742968)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Sweeet, Geminis and HQs

I like it, Gatton, Historics, MGCC, February rocks
Old 7 Oct 2003, 12:56 (Ref:742971)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
And also, that means that my non-COD Mondeo is nearly an Historic vehicle... very interesting indeed
Old 7 Oct 2003, 13:06 (Ref:742991)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

So is my Tarago then - wonder what category I could enter it in???
Old 7 Oct 2003, 13:10 (Ref:742996)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Normally whenever something doesn't fit it becomes a sports car. On the weekend we had a V8 Commodore Ute and a 1936 Ford Anglia running as 'Sports Cars'. Maybe AAA will have a 'Sports Thing' class
Old 7 Oct 2003, 13:15 (Ref:743002)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

- ******* - believe me, it isn't a 'thing' - this week aI had to get it's first oil leak in 17 years fixed (gearbox just done and seal on oil filer wasn't fitted properly...)
Old 7 Oct 2003, 13:25 (Ref:743020)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Probably the best thing I have ever seen on a race track of sorts was an F150 truck one night entered in a QR burnout comp. The poor old big gunner couldn't break traction after 3 minutes, let alone do fast roundabout things....

But a Tarago isn't a car, it's a van or people mover or something. I reckon they'd make a better spectacle than the BRutes, so long as success ballast is attached to the roof to assist with the anti-handling traits
Old 7 Oct 2003, 14:02 (Ref:743052)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

What anti-handling traits?

Give it any wind of greater than 5 km/h that isn't front on or tail on and boy, does it bounce around
Old 7 Oct 2003, 21:53 (Ref:743407)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Now that would put bums on seats!

I know that the nearly historic Mondeo likes to understeer, so we'd have to put the success ballast over the front axel. That would mean it would really hate corners, so much so it would make a great drag car, save for the fact that the engine is totally gutless
Old 8 Oct 2003, 10:30 (Ref:743876)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Reading in the press release that they are quite proud that one of the competitors who can't race under CAMS had a good run around, despite missing an eye. I don't want to sound like a complete and utter goody two shoes, but would I want to be alongside said driver on his blind side? There are probably reasons some decisions have been made....

Anyone care to flame this down?
Old 9 Oct 2003, 11:23 (Ref:745050)   #21
Wayne Kerr
Rookie

Wayne Kerr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS has gone overboard on medicals and the requirements over the years and a lot of very good drivers can't race under a CAMS licence.

Alex Zanardi is driving again but he would not be allowed a CAMS licence!
Monocular vision (one eye) is allowed overseas but not here but CAMS insists on pushing FIA rules on everything else.

How many paraplegic drivers race overseas? and how many race with a CAMS licence!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 21:50 (Ref:745742)   #22
SAMS
Rookie

SAMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the restraint CAMS placed on him was due to Peripheral vision, a bit strange when one uses a helmet and especialy when CAMS are encouraging full face helmets.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 21:59 (Ref:745748)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
What's the age limit for AAA events? I know some 10 year olds that are bloody good steerers, so why should people stand in the way of letting them race?

Any idea why CAMS won't welcome paraplegic drivers? I suppose it would depend on the car and the individual's situation, but how easy would it be to get out of an upside down burning car? Perhaps it's for their own safety?

BTW- if the other competitors are comfortable racing against a one eyed competitor, then good for them I suppose..
Old 9 Oct 2003, 22:43 (Ref:745767)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

CAMS apply the 'road licence = CAMS licence' rule - remember BRyan Sala in NASCAR - he had exactly that problem - CAMS refused to give him a CAMS licence despite his experience in racing. Sala took CAMS to court and won.

In NZ there is no lower age limit - their NCR's have a specific section dealing with Under 18 applicants and Junior Drivers (s45) providing they have experience and consent. CAMS, in this regard, has its head well and truly in the sand IMHO.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 01:27 (Ref:745827)   #25
Big Trev
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Reading in the press release that they are quite proud that one of the competitors who can't race under CAMS had a good run around, despite missing an eye. I don't want to sound like a complete and utter goody two shoes, but would I want to be alongside said driver on his blind side? There are probably reasons some decisions have been made....

Anyone care to flame this down?
PLEASE remember that this was an Historic event, most of these guys bring the cars out once or twice a year, and before you start flaming him, ask yourself,"did he cause any problems?", and the answer is no, so where does this leave your logic?

Last edited by Big Trev; 10 Oct 2003 at 01:29.