Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Sep 2007, 09:04 (Ref:2012393)   #1
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grönholm retires at the end of season

in Finnish:

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uut...2007/09/561380

Basically he says that he has always wanted to retire on top and now he has possibility to do it.

His co-driver Timo Rautiainen is also likely to quit.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 09:10 (Ref:2012397)   #2
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a pity alright. He's more than just a driver though, he's a great character as well and I think we'll miss that a lot in 2009. He's getting on now and is probably doing the right thing. Hopefully he can sign off with the championship in his pocket this year. It will have meant a lot to beat Loeb to a crown.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 09:17 (Ref:2012404)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
That's a shame. I can fully understand his reasons for retiring but he'll be sorely missed - he's a great character as well as a great driver. Next year Loeb will win the title pretty much unchallenged - he could well win every event unless Hirvonen can take another step forward or the Subaru comes good.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 11:32 (Ref:2012549)   #4
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Petter is off to Ford in this case! That will be good.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2012563)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was just about to say Petter Solberg will obviously jump ship.

I like Gronholm, not only is he a quick driver, but he's pretty straightforward when answering questions. Definitely a good way to go out on top, let's hope he can win the title.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 12:24 (Ref:2012639)   #6
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gronholm driver's title in 2007 and Hirvonen in 2008 and beyond. Also consider Latvala for the second Ford factory seat in 2008.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 12:34 (Ref:2012660)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying finn
Gronholm driver's title in 2007 and Hirvonen in 2008 and beyond. .
I hope Gronholm wins this year (it's far from certain though). Hirvonen needs to step up a level if he's going to take a title against Loeb - at current car/driver performance levels Loeb will take it.

Quote:
Also consider Latvala for the second Ford factory seat in 2008.
That's a great shout - I hadn't got as far as considering a replacement but Latvala has to be in the frame.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2012689)   #8
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If petter does jumps ship, i'll put a call to dave and richard at prodrive and see if they need me too fill in for 2008, help them out

si
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2013046)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A shame. Always been a fan of Marcus. His sense of humour, his sheer character and his god given driving talent and flamboyancy will be missed.

WRC will have a big hole in it now and it has lost the last of the old school.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:06 (Ref:2013052)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Certainly the number of 'star' drivers will be pretty thin in the WRC - Loeb and Solberg. None of the others have proved themselves so be superstars yet.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:17 (Ref:2013097)   #11
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petter has signed a contract until 2009 with Subaru!
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:25 (Ref:2013108)   #12
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also consider Latvala for the second Ford factory seat in 2008.
I'd consider Latvala for the number 1 seat, he's that quick! He has much more pedigree than Hirvonen and i'd put Conor Flynn in ahead of Mathew Wilson
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:35 (Ref:2013114)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Petter signed that a while ago did he not? There is a rumour he is unhappy with the late introduction of next years car (basically, 2008 is a write-off) and will look to exercise a clause in his contract if a top drive becomes available.

However, he has been linked to Citroen quite strongly rather than Ford.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2013171)   #14
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong, but as I understand it both Petter and Atkinson are staying put!
Old 15 Sep 2007, 08:39 (Ref:2013435)   #15
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad news, but understandable. He must win the championship now.

Here's the news on Marcus's own site Click Here

I love this picture. It makes him look like a giant http://www.mgr.fi/galleria_newzealand2007q.jpg
Grönholm = Hero

As for a replacement. I would expect Latvala to step up into the main works team, and Andreas Mikkelsen to take the number 1. seat in the Stobart team.

Last edited by silver bullet; 15 Sep 2007 at 08:43.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 17:14 (Ref:2019070)   #16
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doubt you'd see solberg in a ford tbh, aparently theres history there and it aint good. i recon it will be mikko and jarri-matti at ford next year, mikko still needs to step up a gear but in the likes of sweden and finland are rallys that hes definetely quick enough to win, J-M has alot of pace and if he starts pulling in consistant finishes ford could still manage the manufacturers championship.

it will be a sad loss for WRC though, as loeb is so much quicker than everyone else at most rallys he'll surely fly to the championship!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 17:36 (Ref:2019103)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He'll probably coast to the title.

2008 fills me with a deep sense of dread.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 11:01 (Ref:2034851)   #18
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrRACING
Petter has signed a contract until 2009 with Subaru!
But why? He has got to get out of that dog of a car! Off to Ford.......
Old 8 Oct 2007, 11:06 (Ref:2034854)   #19
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus will be missed, after Colin retired he has been my fave.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 13:47 (Ref:2034948)   #20
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

2008 fills me with a deep sense of dread.
My feelings exactly Knowlesy. Marcus was the only one who could hold onto Loeb and beat him. No one else is on the same level. Those who may be do, do not have the equipment to prove it yet. We could really do with an all or nothing hard charger next year, at least that way, even if its a Loeb fest, it would still be worth tuning in to see someone visually on the limit.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2035030)   #21
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The state of rallying (or at least its competitors) at the present is both shocking and tragic. Looking back at only four years ago, there are only three drivers out of the top ten in the standings that year that are competing full-time in the WRC, and one of them will join the ranks of the inactive at the end of the year. Richard Burns and Colin McRae are dead. Carlos Sainz, Tommi Makinen, and now Marcus Gronholm have all hung up their helmets. Markko Martin and Francois Duval, who were supposed to be the heir apparents of those veterans, have all but disappeared, Martin having vowed to never rally again and Duval perpetually underfunded. Gilles Panizzi has faded into irrelevance as the championship has moved away from pavement. It's reached the point where I don't recognize any of the competitors, save Loeb, Gronholm, and Solberg. How did this happen?
Old 9 Oct 2007, 13:57 (Ref:2035883)   #22
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa
...We could really do with an all or nothing hard charger next year, at least that way, even if its a Loeb fest, it would still be worth tuning in to see someone visually on the limit...
Galli would fit the bill quite nicely come to think of it.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 13:59 (Ref:2035884)   #23
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
The state of rallying (or at least its competitors) at the present is both shocking and tragic. Looking back at only four years ago, there are only three drivers out of the top ten in the standings that year that are competing full-time in the WRC, and one of them will join the ranks of the inactive at the end of the year. Richard Burns and Colin McRae are dead. Carlos Sainz, Tommi Makinen, and now Marcus Gronholm have all hung up their helmets. Markko Martin and Francois Duval, who were supposed to be the heir apparents of those veterans, have all but disappeared, Martin having vowed to never rally again and Duval perpetually underfunded. Gilles Panizzi has faded into irrelevance as the championship has moved away from pavement. It's reached the point where I don't recognize any of the competitors, save Loeb, Gronholm, and Solberg. How did this happen?
How did it get to this? Dunno really. Slow decline over the years I guess.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 18:53 (Ref:2036158)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It's a truly terrible decline right now and it doesn't look like it is going to get better for a while. With the combination of the manufacturers pulling out and the double driver rules change in 2003....it has just excluded a lot of people.

Take McRae. He should never have been out of work at the end of 2003 but the FIA, indirectly, made sure of it.

I am awaiting some DVD's of a load of Top gear rally reports from 1997-2001. I can't wait to watch it because when I think of the names involved in that period it reminds me what WRC was all about. Makinen, McRae, Sainz, Auriol, Kankkunen, Burns, Gronholm, Eriksson, Liatti, Vatanen, Thiry, Rovanpera, some occasional cameos from the likes of Delecour, Gardemeister, Panizzi, Loix, Scwharz, Radstrom, Bugalski (Mr Kit Car himself!) as well as the young upcomers like Solberg, Martin and the like. Awesome stuff and we still had some proper rallies like Safari too.

I know all about rose tints and that, but that was truly a great era for me and rallying was right up their with my other favourite series.

The moving on of Marcus is the end of an era.