Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 21 Dec 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2603334)   #1
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 100 Hero's

Over in that well known newspaper publication out every Wednesday readers voted on there top 100 heros!Rallycross is represented with Will Gollop at No:60 and the Master Schanche is at No:38 Barry Lee made it in the top 100 and Stig Blomqvist as well as some other part timers!

Last edited by schanche; 21 Dec 2009 at 19:28.
Old 22 Dec 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2603463)   #2
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think their relative positions are justified; not to high nor to low.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2604197)   #3
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
I think their relative positions are justified; not to high nor to low.
Yep you could be right regarding relative positions! although Will has jumped up 13 positions and Schanche has dropped 10 places since last year?Maybe the live TV and higher profile of the current British scence has swayed peoples minds

Old 23 Dec 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2604219)   #4
Adam Walker 36
Rookie

Adam Walker 36 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it me or is anyone else surprised that Kenneth Hansen is not on the list?? Or is he on the list?? 14 times European Champ for god-sake!!
Old 24 Dec 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2604473)   #5
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Walker 36 View Post
Is it me or is anyone else surprised that Kenneth Hansen is not on the list?? Or is he on the list?? 14 times European Champ for god-sake!!
Good point!
Old 25 Dec 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2604947)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he fact that he is Swedish and most UK motorsport papers are only interested in Brits probably counts the great man out!

From my point of view a few things mark Kennth out from the rest.

The first is his utter dedication to a minoroty sport, the second is consumate professionalism, the third is his tital approachablity from the very early years in the Volvo and the fourt is the fact that he wins without hardly seeming to make an effort! Always the sign of true greatness!

In fact I think we should do out own top ten for the New Year!! INcluding reasons!!
Old 25 Dec 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2604961)   #7
Adam Walker 36
Rookie

Top 10 Rallycross Greats?? Im all for that!!!
Old 25 Dec 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2604967)   #8
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I would put a certain Italian driver on top of the list.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2605027)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think so somehow!! Kuypers is good but really top 10 stuff!!

For me it would be

Hansen, Alamaki, Gollop, Schanche, Norstedt, Arnesson, Hunsbedt, Opland, Herbie and Joranli!!

MAinly guys that won a lot, but also guys like Steinar and Herbie who achieved over their weight.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2605806)   #10
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
My Top 10

Here goes my top 10!
Schanche,Alamaki,Hansen,Gollop,Skogstad,Norstedt,Hunsbedt,Jernberg,Arnnesson,Welch....

Difficult to choose between Schanche and Alamaki for no1 spot but Schanche just pips Alamaki..Hansen's in 3rd for his ultra smooth driving and using his head to gain results.Skogstads there for bringing the mighty battles to Hansen in the early days just awesome! before K.H stepped up too 4wd.Gollop top brit class of his own, Hunsbedt the last of the aggresive drivers all or nothing style..Jernberg Mister consistant Privateer come good learnt the hard way.Welch for representing GB in Europe for years proving to be a pain in the Arse for many of the top boys

Old 30 Dec 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2606321)   #11
Adam Walker 36
Rookie

My top 10 which ive thought long and hard over, are as follows:

Hansen, Schanche, Alamaki, Arnesson, Gollop, Eklund, Hunsbedt, Jernberg, Pailier, Skogstadt.

In that order.

Hansen 1st because you carn't ignore a 14 times champion, then Schanche at 2 because as much as i hated him as a kid, looking back he was incredible!! Then Alamaki very similar to Hansen smooth driving style likes to do it the "Hansen way" get pole and control the race. Arnesson was a hard decsion as i never saw much of him because i was born in 89 but i can see the championships and remember Holjes 91. Then Gollop at 5 my childhood hero enough said! Eklund is a legend i just think he could of done with another championship or two and he could be number 3? Hunsbedt is insane and a fan fave!! Jernberg desevers to be on a top 10 to be at since 89?? and never win a championship is crazy and deserves a championship real soon! Jean Luc at 9 because he is just such a gentleman and done alot for french rallycross! He's always there or there abouts. Finally Bjorn Skogstadt just think of how many championships he would have won without a certain Mr Hansen about!

Looking at other peoples top 10's ive left out people like Norstedt and Welch. Sorry i can only judge on what ive seen and since i was born in 89 thats what i go upon. Please leave feedback.

Adam Walker (Mr Rallycross Uk Jnr) lol
Old 30 Dec 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2606346)   #12
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Here goes my top 10!
Schanche,Alamaki,Hansen,Gollop,Skogstad,Norstedt,Hunsbedt,Jernberg,Arnnesson,Welch....
Saw this thread and thought i would have a think before replying and lo and behold Schance has picked the same top 10 !!!! Cheers saved me writing so much. Just remove Norstdet and replace with Reeves just so we have 3 brits !
Old 30 Dec 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2606524)   #13
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessmsport View Post
Saw this thread and thought i would have a think before replying and lo and behold Schance has picked the same top 10 !!!! Cheers saved me writing so much. Just remove Norstdet and replace with Reeves just so we have 3 brits !
Have to say thought long and hard about Trevor being in the top ten difficult to choose but Welch just pipped it

Old 30 Dec 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2606539)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Gotta be honest and say I feel Trevor should be in mine really! But I picked a lot of guys from the heart rather than the head!!

Breiteneder coz of one race I saw him do in the Golf at Lydden against Skogstad, simply amazing driving in such an underpowered car.

And Joranli coz of that utterly unreal drive at Mondello against all the Sierrras and M3's. The guy was driving out of his skin and doing things that you really shouldnt in a car like that!!

I wanted to put Rennison in there, but he simply wasnt around for long enough. I do think that if he had driven thru to perhaps 1991 he could have been ERC champion.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2606550)   #15
GOLDFINGER
Racer

GOLDFINGER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember Trevor Reeves at Lydden one year think he was in with a shout for the british championship & he fitted a 2 litre in his Fiesta, was one of the qualifying heats & he walked it, think it was the quickest ever 2wd time brilliant driving
Old 1 Jan 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2607072)   #16
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I dont think so somehow!! Kuypers is good but really top 10 stuff!!

For me it would be

Hansen, Alamaki, Gollop, Schanche, Norstedt, Arnesson, Hunsbedt, Opland, Herbie and Joranli!!

MAinly guys that won a lot, but also guys like Steinar and Herbie who achieved over their weight.
I was kinda joking. But as a Dutch guy I think it has been very impressive what he has done over the years. And what I saw last year at Maasmechelen, going from D to A Final, I think he still got it. Even if the equipment is less then the others have.

I'm only following this since 1996 as a kid so a top 10 from my side would not be representative enough. I think Mr. Rallycross Schanche would certainly be at the top spot. The guy seemed to have a little extra over anybody else. Second I would rate my personal favorite Per Eklund. His spectacular style is what made him my favourite but I think it also cost him a chance at getting better results. I wished for years he would win in Holland and he did come close. But every time he would put it sideways, cut a tyre or run into someone els and spin. I guess its his style and you gotta love it. I hope he won't retire just yet as I would love to see him live a couple times more.

As for others, Pailler and Opland were also very impressive and of course Hansen needs to be in it.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2607126)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think Kuypers has decent cars, his current one isnt far off Sverres in tech spec.

Just not keen on the guy for some reason!!

I like Eklund, mainly for his enthusiasm and he has done a lot for the sport over the years, and also running something difffereent all this time!

But hasnt won enough for a top ten!!
Old 1 Jan 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2607158)   #18
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always liked to see Pavel Koutny. He is/was one of the best drivers of the whole ERC but never had the budget to compete with the Scandinavian drivers. Yet with his old, unreliable and not top-spec cars he still manages to score top times. Not to mention his dedication to rallycross. He was in the ERC before Czech Republic was established as rallycrossnation and still finds his way across Europe, despite all the bad luck the past years.

Another great but slightly unknown driver is Rolf Volland. I visited alot of German races so I saw him more than you Brits. He is a friendly guy, great driver and great engineer. In division 1 with the Blue Golf he always made a surprise in his home ERC round. His one foreign ERC adventure in Poland he immidiately made it to the A-final, so it wasn't the home advantage. And this years Div1a victory was monumental. I really wish he had ever made a real effort for a full ERC-campaign.

Last edited by WJM; 1 Jan 2010 at 21:26.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2607238)   #19
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seen that Rolf Volland is a triple FIA European Autocross Champion (1990, 1993, 1994) it is pretty strange that he never did the ERC on a regular basis.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2615702)   #20
atkrhome
Rookie

atkrhome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My top ten would be :-

1) Martin Schanche (The most spectacular driver)
2) Kenneth Hansen (Cant ignore a 14 time champion)
3) John Welch (The Astra was a sight to behold, shame it rarely ran without a myriad of faults)
4) Will Gollop
5) Ole Arnesson
6) Arild Martinsen (For having the guts to drive a 700bhp monster M3)
7) Dermott Carnegie
8) Dave Ward (Great racer)
9) Gary Baker
10) Roger Newbould