Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3629020)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bahrain Grand Prix 2016 Grand Prix Weekend Thread

In 2004, Sakhir marked a new chapter in Grand Prix racing when it hosted the first modern race in the Middle East, on the archipelago of Bahrain. It was an unusual sight to see Grand Prix cars in the Persian Gulf, surrounded by sand.

The track is tough on brakes, with some big stops at the end of the various long straights. One of the more interesting sections is Turns 9 and 10, two consecutive left-handers, the first of which involves braking on a curve. Many drivers steam in there too quickly and lock a wheel. Turn 11, a long left-hander also potentially creates a few different line interpretations.

In the season opener two weeks ago, the new rule which saw Pirelli bringing three tyre compounds each weekend appears to have opened up some more variation in strategies. On a circuit where Ferrari are expected to be even closer to Mercedes than in Melbourne, it will be good to see if this plays out as a decisive factor. The Ferrari pair have opted for three sets of mediums, four softs and six supersofts, while Hamilton and Rosberg will be using just a set of mediums each, six sets of softs and six sets of supersofts. Another thing to bear in mind is that due to the 18:00 start time, the track temperature will keep dropping as the race goes on.

After Vettel's astonishing launch off the line in Australia and Mercedes's tardy starts, the Brackley-based team will be under the radar on that front too. No amount of qualifying pace can protect them from such a dodgy beginning to the Grand Prix. Ferrari could really capitalise here if they get ahead.

And speaking of qualifying, it has been decided that the so-far unpopular format introduced in Round 1 will at least be retained for Bahrain, with several minutes of running and then a point in each session at which drivers will be eliminated every 90 seconds for the remainder of the time. Perhaps we will see this show some potential and the sense of climax some thought it lacked in the opening round.

Today's big news is that Fernando Alonso will not take part in Bahrain after it was a fractured rib has been discovered. The precautionary move to rest the Spaniard means that Belgium's star and reigning GP2 champion Stoffel Vandoorne making his Grand Prix debut for McLaren.

In 2014, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg memorably duelled it out in a tense and fraught battle which lit up the Grand Prix and their rivalry. With first blood to Nico in Melbourne, will we see a tougher Nico with his elbows out here too?

To make your predictions for the race and enter the Ten-Tenths Predictions contest, go here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...92#post3628692

You have until the start of Q1 to enter. It's still early days so there's plenty of reason to enter even if you missed Round 1!

Likewise with Fantasy F1, your opportunity to create your own Formula 1 team, the link for which is here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146625
(entries must be received before FP1 to be accepted for Bahrain).

Constructor's Championship so far: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-...standings.html

Drivers' Championship so far: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-...standings.html

Tyre Choices: https://www.formula1.com/content/fom...r-bahrain.html

Circuit length: 5.412km
Number of laps: 57
Race distance: 308.238km
First World Championship*Grand*Prix: 2004

Dry weather tyre compounds: Medium, Soft and Supersoft
DRS Detection Zone 1: Between Turns 9 and 10
DRS Activation Zone 1: On straight between Turns 10 and 11
DRS Detection Zone 2: At end of straight just before Turn 14
DRS Activation Zone 2: On start-finish straight
Speed trap: At end of start-finish straight
Lap Record: 1:31.447 – Pedro de la Rosa – McLaren-Mercedes (2005)

Old 31 Mar 2016, 13:12 (Ref:3629026)   #2
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you! Missed your Australian intro!
Old 31 Mar 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3629029)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you! I missed doing it. I started putting together some research for it but I'm currently in a busy period. Managed to put together this fairly bare Bahrain one, with not much detail, but fortunately there is not so much history to talk about yet with this one.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3629030)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I reckon Alonso for the win!
Old 31 Mar 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3629050)   #5
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could potentially be a career-altering weekend for Button. I really rate Vandoorne and think he could really turn heads this weekend
Old 31 Mar 2016, 18:11 (Ref:3629090)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the intro BR for me i have always liked the desert backdrop so wish it was still held during the daylight and the heat that comes with it. a unique challenge that is somewhat diminished by moving to the evening start time.

shame Alonso wont be here as he has had some memorable battles here over the years.

the 2004 battle with Webber where he chased the ozzie down, flipped him off and ultimately made a pass after he forced Webber into a mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mRAjFGr4Q

in 2005 Schumi got a little aggressive coming out of the pits but Alonso was fearless and held his ground. it wasent the last time Alonso got the better of Schumi in 2005. cant find any good video of it though.

in 2006 is one of my favorite shots/images from here with Massa spinning out in front of Alonso who reacted beautifully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBfm21Elfk

2010 was surely the highlight though winning after a few winless seasons but more importantly (to the Tifosi anyways) winning his first race for Ferrari in his first race for Ferrari. for the rest of the non Tifosi it was the first of several races where Alonso was faster then Massa.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3629094)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Could potentially be a career-altering weekend for Button. I really rate Vandoorne and think he could really turn heads this weekend
Or it could make Jenson really step up to the mark. Can't help but feel that Alonso hasn't really pushed him yet.

Anyway, I've grown to like this race over the years. You do get some good scraps from turn 1 all the way up to turn 5/6.

Is anyone going to tune in for qualifying?
Old 31 Mar 2016, 20:24 (Ref:3629120)   #8
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last year:
Alonso made it to Q2 with a best lap of 1:35.039
Finished the race in 11th place - O points.

Good luck to Vandoorne. Nice opportunity.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3629130)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hard to believe the first F1 event at this track was 12 years ago
Old 1 Apr 2016, 06:44 (Ref:3629173)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great intro.

Usually a rather dull affair, though there was that cracker of a race two years ago. I would like to see something like that again, though I expect we will be in for more of the same. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I missed watching the new Qualifying format at Melbourne and though it's come in for a lot of criticism, at least I'll be able to judge for myself.

Alonso's out, recovering from chest injuries, http://www.autosport.com/news/report...lonso-decision, so a speedy recovery in time for China.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3629292)   #11
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
#8 Haas 9th in FP1 ! ' Is this REAL LIFE ? '
Couldn't be more excited for this team.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3629336)   #12
canamman
Veteran

United States
FP2 - may have jinxed the #8 Haas as he bellowed out a pretty
good cloud of smoke at the end of the session. Vandy kid
looks like the real thing posting an 11th best. Heard a comment
he may be the next best thing since Vettle filled in for Kubica
when making his maiden voyage. Button 3rd, MV 4th.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 17:18 (Ref:3629340)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Vandoorne was about seven tenths from Button in FP2. Probably to be expected. I would like to know what their relative fuel loads were.

Rosberg quicker than Hamilton in both sessions. This won't be conclusive demonstration that he can have it over Hamilton until qualifying as I think Hamilton has often pulled something out of the bag in Q3 when Rosberg has led the FP sessions.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 18:53 (Ref:3629363)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As with investments, past performance is not necessarily an indication of future performance, but it is nice to see Button 1st fastest of the rest of the field after the dominant, again, Mercedes. It would be good if he is able to carry that through to qualifying tomorrow. Did he not go well in Bahrain last year as well?
Old 1 Apr 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3629372)   #15
canamman
Veteran

United States
Yes, Button had electrical issues that kept him out of Quali
as well as the race in 2015.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3629376)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As with investments, past performance is not necessarily an indication of future performance, but it is nice to see Button 1st fastest of the rest of the field after the dominant, again, Mercedes. It would be good if he is able to carry that through to qualifying tomorrow. Did he not go well in Bahrain last year as well?
He didn't even start.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3629545)   #17
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The way the BBC News app is reading is that we're still eliminating cars that are parked in garages?
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3629549)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Having finally watched the new Qualifying format in action, I think once a driver has started the lap they should be allowed to finish. I don't have a problem with the knocked out procedure in Q1 and 2 but in Q3 keep the 2015 format. Otherwise, a Mercedes front row followed by the Ferraris, so no change there.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3629551)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm glad I can't watch it. I tried to listen to r5 live. Made no sense. One more nail in the coffin.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3629554)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
the natural order seems to have been restored; he's a bit good that Hammy isn't he!
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3629556)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Todt echoing Bernie, in that interview, saying the drivers/teams need to learn the new Qualifying format. I agree with Mark Webber, Todt looked under pressure.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3629561)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
But there were times when nobody bothered to run.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:50 (Ref:3629562)   #23
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport are reporting that Todt and Charlie Whiting had requested that Pirelli supply the teams with yet another set of the ultra or super soft tyres for qualifying after the fiasco in Melbourne, but Pirelli couldn't produce them in time for Bahrain.

They then claim that some teams stayed in the garages to preserve tyres for tomorrow's race, which is what happened before they introduced the extra set for Q3. It would seem as though the move to 3 compounds per weekend has now brought about the situation that the teams appear to want the extra sticky tyres for the start of the race, which then compromises the number of runs that they can do during qualifying.

It seems to be a case of no steps forward, but a giant leap backwards.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3629565)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't they already supply extra tyres for the Q3 runners? Are we just going to solve every ridiculous decision by asking Pirelli to supply more tyres?
Old 2 Apr 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3629567)   #25
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In Bernie's interview with EJ, I heard something from BCE I thought I would never hear.

He admitted to making a mistake.