Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Jul 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3840438)   #126
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I would have thought a seat in one of the Astras, or perhaps in a (Motorbase) Focus, would be more likely.
i have had from more than 1 source over the years that Bartram and Plato dont get on
Old 31 Jul 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3840440)   #127
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is there someone left with who he gets on ?
Old 31 Jul 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3840441)   #128
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
Did you really see him going to BMR before it happened ? I know it came as a real surprise to me when it was announced, so I wouldn't rule anything out.
to be honest... Yes, realistically where else would you have pitched him after 2014? he was running out of time and patience with his MG contract, BMR were pushing forward and having had Alain Menu in 2014 were clearly up for big names, and if he really did have all the Subaru dream in place, Warren Scott would have probably heard about it and with no works ties bit his hand off to build his brand... only with no money! but where else could he go? Motorbase had no money so didnt race, Dynamics was always a no, WSR maybe? but i think he upset them too much in the year crying about RWD advantages, there were not many other teams he could have gone to that would have been in a state to win "out of the box" in 2015
Old 31 Jul 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3840448)   #129
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
This is one of those hard questions that would be befitting of University Challenge!

Someone mentioned Alonso earlier, he and Plato are in many ways similar. The more I think about it, the more they are...
Old 31 Jul 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3840450)   #130
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This is one of those hard questions that would be befitting of University Challenge!

Someone mentioned Alonso earlier, he and Plato are in many ways similar. The more I think about it, the more they are...
Except one is liked... and still has many years left in his career!
Old 31 Jul 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3840457)   #131
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I'm the one comparing Plato with Alonso, they both have a disturbing tendency to whinge a lot.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3840459)   #132
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes - every team owner that wants a driver who can get them plenty of airtime, and a lucrative sponsorship deal.

Just look at what is coming out from Adrian Flux recently. In 2017, it took until the last couple of rounds before Sutton received more than a passing mention - and even then it talked about how Plato would help his title challenge.

This year, even though Sutton is carrying the #1 on his car - Plato still gets more column inches in Adrian Flux press releases. Sutton, BMR, Subaru - all are still on the grid because of JP.

When the chequebook is open, bad blood washes down the drain very quickly.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 20:44 (Ref:3840461)   #133
porsche962fan
Veteran

^ so why isn't he at Dynamics or WSR yet ?

or say Speedworks ?
Old 31 Jul 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3840467)   #134
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:

or say Speedworks ?
The Neal family would never take Plato for a start...
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3840469)   #135
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

or say Speedworks ?
For the same reason he has changed teams/cars regularly - and the same reason means he lives in Monaco and flies into each event.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3840474)   #136
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
I'm the one comparing Plato with Alonso, they both have a disturbing tendency to whinge a lot.
Indeed they do. They should form a whinging dream team. Run a sports car entry at Le Mans or something like that. Important to ensure there is plenty of stuff to whinge about though:

1) so power it with a crap engine.

2) drive the wrong wheels.

3) stick a fast young man in the sister car to kick your arse.

4) take some professional grumbling coaching about how crap everything is. Other than you that is.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3840476)   #137
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Indeed they do. They should form a whinging dream team. Run a sports car entry at Le Mans or something like that. Important to ensure there is plenty of stuff to whinge about though:

1) so power it with a crap engine.

2) drive the wrong wheels.

3) stick a fast young man in the sister car to kick your arse.

4) take some professional grumbling coaching about how crap everything is. Other than you that is.
Last but not least, continue acting like ungrateful swines even when the team's competing at the front, Plato did even after qualifying on the front row at Croft.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3840479)   #138
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:

or say Speedworks ?
honestly, i expected to see him taking a pair of Subarus to Speedworks this season. I was very surprised when the announcements were made
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3840483)   #139
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
honestly, i expected to see him taking a pair of Subarus to Speedworks this season. I was very surprised when the announcements were made
This could actually be a good point. Where the Subaru’s (if any) end up next year may not be as straightforward as it seems

Can anyone give us an update on who owns what cars. I seem to remember Subaru UK own two of them - presumably the cars that are still being used
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3840485)   #140
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Last but not least, continue acting like ungrateful swines even when the team's competing at the front, Plato did even after qualifying on the front row at Croft.
Defo. I think he learned that one from Nigel "I won the race but the car was rubbish" Mansell 😁
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:37 (Ref:3840486)   #141
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Defo. I think he learned that one from Nigel "I won the race but the car was rubbish" Mansell 😁
Oh yes, maybe...
Old 31 Jul 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3840504)   #142
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
This could actually be a good point. Where the Subaru’s (if any) end up next year may not be as straightforward as it seems

Can anyone give us an update on who owns what cars. I seem to remember Subaru UK own two of them - presumably the cars that are still being used
I remember Speedworks took a long time to confirm they would continue with the Avensis as they were "assessing options", and Toyota motorsport sent a few tweets implying they were not going to be in BTCC 2018, JP was also not seemingly too committed to BMR as they took ages to confirm him and I remember how highly he spoke quite highly of Tingram previously
2+2 =17 there but i was very surprised at the start of the season that it was just the normal status quo
Old 31 Jul 2018, 22:24 (Ref:3840505)   #143
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
he needs more boost, same as its ever been since the Scoobys came in, fastest time round the track but still not quick enough... go figure
Old 31 Jul 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3840512)   #144
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
he needs more boost, same as its ever been since the Scoobys came in, fastest time round the track but still not quick enough... go figure
Nothing excuses the incessant whining Plato's always coming out with.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3840542)   #145
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
For the same reason he has changed teams/cars regularly - and the same reason means he lives in Monaco and flies into each event.
The Monaco thing I believe is well into history now. Lovely large barn conversion on the outskirts of Abingdon is the way to go
Old 1 Aug 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3840545)   #146
porsche962fan
Veteran

the best thing for the series would be if the Subarus disappear from the grid
Old 1 Aug 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3840546)   #147
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
the best thing for the series would be if the Subarus disappear from the grid
I second this, however would it be different if they were run by a more professional outfit?
Old 1 Aug 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3840548)   #148
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
I second this, however would it be different if they were run by a more professional outfit?
It's not the Subaru's that should disappear, Plato should retire and save his moaning for team management or at least anyone who will listen.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3840550)   #149
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato hasn't lived in Monaco for years has he?
Old 1 Aug 2018, 09:09 (Ref:3840551)   #150
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
It's not the Subaru's that should disappear, Plato should retire and save his moaning for team management or at least anyone who will listen.
Wouldn't worry, not even Louise Goodman interviews him anymore so you don't get to hear so much moaning now anyway.