Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Are Privateers a good idea?
Yes 11 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Jun 2001, 00:21 (Ref:100293)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Privateers , good or bad?

This year in the BTCC , there are [ or will be ] 4 privateer teams entered into the BTCC , JSM and AGB , both private teams which recive little or no backing from the factory. Although they bring in different cars and increase field sizes , are they a good idea? I think they are as it adds excitement to races to see if the smaller teams can turner over the big works teams , but they don't recieve enough funding so they are often becoming rare! I think series organisers should do more to help smaller teams.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 00:56 (Ref:100305)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Privateers are good, but only if they can manage a serious challenge like Matt Neal did. People like Russel Spence and Paula Cook never really should have bothered wasting their time and money, as it looks bad on them, and makes the championship look a joke aswell.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 07:52 (Ref:100348)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any privateer's are good, but they will only come if they have a chance of winning. The cheaper the rules, the more that will come because it is less complicated and the factory teams will have less of an advantage
Old 9 Jun 2001, 15:40 (Ref:103009)   #4
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe privateers have to 'win' outright.

Since the Super Touring rules came into force, we have seen plenty of privateer entries. The vast majority have never won a race, or even finished on the podium - that is what the manufacturers do.

If there are enough privateers, then you effectively have two classes of racing... the manufacturer teams, and the privateer teams - with the latter cars generally running behind the manufacturer cars.

It may be possible, with the new BTC Touring rules, to allow privateers and manufacturers to compete on a level playing field - i.e. there is no need for a 'privateers cup', and they could win outright. However, no matter how 'close' the regulations might be, a manufacturer team can/will produce a faster car.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 18:50 (Ref:103052)   #5
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the new BTCC (and ETCC) rules i believe private entries will become an integral part of the series.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 16:57 (Ref:103421)   #6
Motorsport Fan
Rookie

Motorsport Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Priverteers are great to have, well a good example was Matt Neal it would be great to have people like that back in the BTCC as proverteers.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 20:54 (Ref:103546)   #7
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if there was no privateers then lesser drivers would not be able to step up,and manufacturers would not be able to find good talent and would use experienced drivers.the only example i can think off at the mo is thommo when he drove a 405/6 and then got snapped up by vauxhall the next year.
i am probably totally wrong but i know what i mean.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 19:41 (Ref:104033)   #8
hunttheshunt
Veteran

James Kaye was another example when Honda snapped him up and so was Tommy Rustad with Renault-kinda. Anyway, i don't really think the ST BTCC actually helped privateers into works cars that much, if you look at it.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 16:52 (Ref:105183)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think privateers are great for any championship. It is a great proving ground for junior/less funded teams to show their stuff. Hopefully, a few drivers can get noticed as well. I agree with runnyhunny that it is not absolutely required that a privateer team must beat a Works team. It may look nice for the TV, but as long as there are enough other privateers around to dice with, I think it is enough.

And to use Matt Neal's upset over the Works teams in '00 is unfair since his car was so new. It's not suprising he managed to pull it off. I think the last genuine upset was back in the '92 BTCC with David Leslie in a Privateer Peugeot 405?? Anyone confirm that??
Old 14 Jun 2001, 17:27 (Ref:105194)   #10
hunttheshunt
Veteran

It was David Leslie, but wasn't it in the Ecurie Ecosse Cavalier in '93? I think so.