Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2858867)   #76
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I was talking to someone about this today and they made the interesting point that the real test for Brundle will come if and when there is a really boring race, because he is not very good at disguising his boredom, whereas someone with more general commentating experience might be better at brightening things up.
As long as he doesn't just shout manically I'm fine with him being bored!

Anyway, I thought it was established that the last race was boring.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2858898)   #77
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Nothing worse than some drone trying to create interest where there is nothing happening. I am sure Martin and David will find some interesting asides to tell.
God help those who have some of the other feeds though!
Old 5 Apr 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2859002)   #78
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good start to the commentary overall, with a fairly difficult race to start.

With much uncertainty of a technical nature, about the weather; tyre degradation; and when to pit, it was for the purist, and from riveting action.

DC did a good job of explaining technical concepts and incorporated his experience stories of the (olden days, when he first started out in karts against William Wallace!)
MB was at times negative - perhaps due to the lulls in excitement on track - but the two combined extremely well to bounce off each other's information, and combine their energy positively.

MB did mess up the call of the Torro Rosso, with it's (metallic) bronze nose, as: Mark Webber, who of course has the Red Bull with a Yellow nose.

Look forward to hearing some calls when its an exciting race, when its a terrible race, and where there's is a TGF, incident.

Happy 2011
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2859013)   #79
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
A good start to the commentary overall, with a fairly difficult race to start.

With much uncertainty of a technical nature, about the weather; tyre degradation; and when to pit, it was for the purist, and from riveting action.

DC did a good job of explaining technical concepts and incorporated his experience stories of the (olden days, when he first started out in karts against William Wallace!)
MB was at times negative - perhaps due to the lulls in excitement on track - but the two combined extremely well to bounce off each other's information, and combine their energy positively.

MB did mess up the call of the Torro Rosso, with it's (metallic) bronze nose, as: Mark Webber, who of course has the Red Bull with a Yellow nose.

Look forward to hearing some calls when its an exciting race, when its a terrible race, and where there's is a TGF, incident.

Happy 2011
Those Red Bulls/Toro Rosso's are still quite similar on darker days (not philosophical, as in races in the evening! ) and difficult to tell apart.

I still think Toro Rosso should go black instead of dark blue. That'd look awesome.

Selby
Old 5 Apr 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2859386)   #80
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Nothing worse than some drone trying to create interest where there is nothing happening. I am sure Martin and David will find some interesting asides to tell.
God help those who have some of the other feeds though!
Exactly. I always think back to Legard during Hockenheim, when he went on about the TV show Nicole long-name was a part of. Yes, Lewis Hamilton has a pussycat doll girlfriend. We don't need to be reminded all the time!

(This goes for you as well, TV-feed from FOM!)
Old 6 Apr 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2859576)   #81
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't mind having her on my screen, as long as they don't let her talk.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2859583)   #82
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I've often been puzzled why someone called Sherzinger, embarking on a career as a singer, would keep the name Sherzinger. Because it sounds an awful lot like...
Old 6 Apr 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2859584)   #83
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Exactly. I always think back to Legard during Hockenheim, when he went on about the TV show Nicole long-name was a part of. Yes, Lewis Hamilton has a pussycat doll girlfriend. We don't need to be reminded all the time!

(This goes for you as well, TV-feed from FOM!)
I detest that flashback to the relatives. All the producers had a thing for Mrs. Hakkinen back in the day because we had more shots of her looking pensive than of the man himself. I bet the pensiveness was due to the camera leering at her during the entire race.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2859591)   #84
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I detest that flashback to the relatives. All the producers had a thing for Mrs. Hakkinen back in the day because we had more shots of her looking pensive than of the man himself. I bet the pensiveness was due to the camera leering at her during the entire race.
Whenever they focus on Webber's Dad, he tells them to erm...rack off!
Old 6 Apr 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2859734)   #85
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was going to say that it has been happening since the days of black and white TV when we would regularly see Helen Stewart, Bette Hill Nora Tyrrell etc on screen in pitlane.

Having thought about it quickly it is not comparing like with like as in the B/W days the wives were also the timekeepers and much more involved in what was going on. Pitcrews and team personnel were probably half a dozen per team then, rather than the huge squads they have now. Now the family are just there by privilege, almost as drivers accessories.

Im not so upset by them being there... I can say I would be miffed if in their situation I was made to watch from the grandstand.... but the fact they constantly appear as part of the telecast as if they were Newey or Head etc
Old 6 Apr 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2859736)   #86
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
The thing is, the human element is an important part of the sport in terms of attracting the casual viewer, which is what the TV companies are trying to do. Therefore, they cut to shots of anxious loved ones. If the loved-one happens to be a glamourous popstar - all the better.

It's annoying for bobble-hats like us, but it isn't going to go away.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2859746)   #87
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah I guess.... and on rare occasions it can be interesting viewing, thinking back to the scenes in the Ferrari Garage when Massa was WDC for 10 seconds, Brazil '08.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2859755)   #88
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok so if I'm allowed to put my thoughts in, having now seen the highlights plus some live footage.

I don't hear any difference. I hear a commentator telling me about the race and an analyst who has a few anecdotes to tell.

I noticed a complete lack of understanding from the commentator as to why Mickey-the-shoe had stopped early (puncture, omission corrected by the analyst) and generally noticed nothing different from previous years.

Why? Because all the bull**** going on about experts in this thread leaves out the human element. Some people really don't care. No really they don't care about who is running twentieth. They just want someone to entertain them and who can be questioned at a simple level.

We now have Martin, a man who's career I have followed since 1978 (ish) and who I have had the privilege of meeting on occasion, doing a great job for the fans, coupled with a Scottish git who may be a quite good and very brave racer who bores me to tears.

I don't really care who tells me what's going on because I can see for myself. However I do think the average punter will be turned off by having this team of experts describing what is happening to the nth degree. A bit like snooker.

That in turn will lead to the monetisation of F1 coverage. That means Pay Per View.

How many on here will pay?
Old 6 Apr 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2859767)   #89
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I've often been puzzled why someone called Sherzinger, embarking on a career as a singer, would keep the name Sherzinger. Because it sounds an awful lot like...
Probably because its Scherzinger, not Sherzinger.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2859771)   #90
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I do think the average punter will be turned off by having this team of experts describing what is happening to the nth degree. A bit like snooker.
Wow, this is even more positive an outcome than I could possibly have imagined.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2859779)   #91
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Probably because its Scherzinger, not Sherzinger.
A neat piece of pedantry that makes not one jot of difference to my comment.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2859782)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Wow, this is even more positive an outcome than I could possibly have imagined.
And of course you missed the context.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2859793)   #93
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
A neat piece of pedantry that makes not one jot of difference to my comment.
Depends how you pronounce Sherzinger.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2859799)   #94
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Depends how you pronounce Sherzinger.
Yawn.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2859802)   #95
ASCII Man
Veteran

Hmm, do people still say 'Yawn'?
That's new.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2859815)   #96
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There's always this as an alternative.

Personally I say bring on the next race so we have something meaningful to talk about.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2859914)   #97
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's going on here lads?
Old 6 Apr 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2859944)   #98
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Yeah I guess.... and on rare occasions it can be interesting viewing, thinking back to the scenes in the Ferrari Garage when Massa was WDC for 10 seconds, Brazil '08.
I have to be a pedant here. He (and others in the team and elsewhere) thought he was WDC. He never was. The race hadn't finished and the result hadn't been decided.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2859956)   #99
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Those Red Bulls/Toro Rosso's are still quite similar on darker days (not philosophical, as in races in the evening! ) and difficult to tell apart.

I still think Toro Rosso should go black instead of dark blue. That'd look awesome.

Selby
Black always look awesome on a car I agree, but from a marketing point of view I just will never understand why the Toro Rosso dont sport that nice distinctive light-blue liverly as the sugarfree cans of Red Bull.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2859965)   #100
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I have to be a pedant here. He (and others in the team and elsewhere) thought he was WDC. He never was. The race hadn't finished and the result hadn't been decided.
HeheheAlthough I realised it was not really factually correct, but described it like that so people would immediately know the event I was referring to. (Which you clearly did!) But you are right.... I should have said, as you pointed out when for 10 seconds those in the Ferrari garage THOUGHT he was WDC.

In my case I guess the problem was, unlike them, I didn't think .......

Last edited by E.B; 7 Apr 2011 at 00:41.