Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2865578)   #126
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Heres a penny to get you going
Old 18 Apr 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2865640)   #127
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find with Brundle and Coulthard that you have the reassurance that they're actually speaking from experience and not what they presume to be the case.

Also at times when there is a great deal going on like this week in China, Brundle just copes with it and gets it right, whereas past commentators guess and get mixed up when under pressure.

For me having experienced ex drivers in the box every week is the way to go, long may it continue.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2865666)   #128
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Coulthard just needs to speak up when talking into the microphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It is difficult to describe the disgust I felt whenever Allen spoke on air. I feel similar when listening to a member of the EDL.
Yikes. You're a tough man.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2865678)   #129
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Coulthard just needs to speak up when talking into the microphone.
Could be worse, could have "Mumbles" Räikkönen in the box!
Old 18 Apr 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2865680)   #130
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Kimi would be the world's worst commentator.

MB: The tyres look to be deteriorating rapidly. How will this affect Red Bull's strategy?
KR: I don't care.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2865681)   #131
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildrop View Post
I find with Brundle and Coulthard that you have the reassurance that they're actually speaking from experience and not what they presume to be the case.
I think one of the things I like about Brundle's style as lead commentator is that as an ex-driver he will know about a lot of the things that Coulthard talks about, but he brings Coulthard in by asking him questions in a way that anybody who isn't an expert would ask them, which is a lot more engaging for the viewer. It's very obvious that there's genuine rapport between the two of them, which was sorely lacking with Brundle/Allen and even more so with Brundle/Legard.

I heard Jonathan Legard commentating on football on Saturday and I was half expecting him to break off from talking about the match to say "But never mind that, what about Jenson Button?".
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 18 Apr 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2865842)   #132
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brundle and DC commentating

Got to say guys, they have been doing really well.
Much more informed; wouldn't expect anything less as they have both driven in F1 for many years and should know what they are talking about.
What is also good is that MB gets an opportunity to have a go in one or two of the current cars every year, so he knows what it takes to drive them.

Just make sure that Legard is never allowed anywhere near a F1 commentary box again.

Also enjoy The R5 Live team (Anthony Davidson & Maurice Hamilton).
Old 18 Apr 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2865951)   #133
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Kimi would be the world's worst commentator.

MB: The tyres look to be deteriorating rapidly. How will this affect Red Bull's strategy?
KR: I don't care.
Followed by
MB: Kimi, put it away.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2865959)   #134
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Followed by: Can I have an Ice cream now?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2865964)   #135
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Followed by
MB: Kimi, put it away.
Kimi: er grunt.......
MB: marvellous.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 00:36 (Ref:2866178)   #136
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They make a good team and good to have to ex-F1 drivers, as both can give their input drawn from their own experiences, which will lead to some disagreement; got to be entertaining in its own right.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 01:06 (Ref:2866189)   #137
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing with Legard was that even when describing something on track, he was having to constantly refer back to Martin with a question which was essentially "did I describe that right?" so when Martin gave a proper explanation it was screamingly obvious that Legard was wrong.

With Brundle in the lead, his descriptions come with that air of authority of having been there and done that. DC in this case then adds to that, not necessarily correcting but explaining either the other drivers point of view or perhaps that something may be a little different these days from Brundle's day, inso offering a different perspective, which in itself hearing the comparison adds interest to the commentary.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 01:40 (Ref:2866199)   #138
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
With Brundle in the lead, his descriptions come with that air of authority of having been there and done that. DC in this case then adds to that, not necessarily correcting but explaining either the other drivers point of view or perhaps that something may be a little different these days from Brundle's day, inso offering a different perspective, which in itself hearing the comparison adds interest to the commentary.
An excellent summary.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 02:14 (Ref:2866200)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I admit to warming to DC. His "I am a cunnung linguist" remark when being asked to announce the presenter of the winner's trophy was humorous.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 02:20 (Ref:2866201)   #140
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I admit to warming to DC. His "I am a cunnung linguist" remark when being asked to announce the presenter of the winner's trophy was humorous.
Being live on TV he got away with it; how cunning is that?
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2866327)   #141
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Being live on TV he got away with it; how cunning is that?
As cunning as a weasel.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 02:49 (Ref:2866755)   #142
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I liked DC's comment during the Chinese GP. In the closing laps of the GP they had Buttons Radio and his engineer said something like 'Webber has good tyres and good pace he will attack you' to which DC commented, 'The only way that message could have been any scarier would have been if he'd said it in the dark !!!'

Classic
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2868099)   #143
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi: *incomprehensible mumbling*
Legard: Extraordinary!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 22 Apr 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2868334)   #144
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
the only thing id say is id prefer one crap and one good commentator, you cant have 2 knowledgable comms (commies!) because then that makes brundle look slightly less good as he is. hes asking coulthard about how he'd tackle this situation in a race, he used to be an f1 racer aswell! i know dc was more recent racer but brundle is at time more prominent than dc he does more racing. i dont know it sounds wrong sometimes, its definately a polished pairing though that irrates a smaller group of people than legard or his unfortunate predeccesor allen! the thing is dc has less knowledge on lots of subjects, maybe its because he's been doing it for just a few races but through his career mb has been team leader more hes been chair of the gpda hes a business man written his own books and prolific tester and race winner in other series so he is more articulate on motor racing subjects and can convey things better than a lot of people
Old 22 Apr 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2868350)   #145
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When/who Martin raced for is much different to who and when David raced, baring in mind the cars from David's twilight years looked like spaceships compared to the simple creations of the 80's and early 90's!
Old 22 Apr 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2868360)   #146
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's Brundle's job as lead commentator to ask DC (the colour commentator) to explain things for the benefit of the audience. Obviously Brundle knows the answer himself but such dialogue is vital for a commentary team.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2868581)   #147
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It's Brundle's job as lead commentator to ask DC (the colour commentator) to explain things for the benefit of the audience. Obviously Brundle knows the answer himself but such dialogue is vital for a commentary team.
Yup and importantly Brundle knows what questions should be asked, and asks them, and clarifies the answers where necessary and fills in some of the inevitable blanks. A hugely better way of doing things!
Old 23 Apr 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2868604)   #148
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James Allen: "So Martin, for the benefit of those watching at home, what actually are tyres?"
Old 23 Apr 2011, 13:53 (Ref:2868608)   #149
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Legard: So Martin, what about Jenson Button?
Old 23 Apr 2011, 13:57 (Ref:2868610)   #150
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
James Allen: "So Martin, for the benefit of those watching at home, what actually are tyres?"
God I miss ITV coverage. It's really difficult understanding what's going on now it's not aimed at a mental age of three.