Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jan 2016, 10:51 (Ref:3605882)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Donington Historic Festival

Fourth running of this event. Incl MRL, STCC, HGPCA, F2, GTSCC, U2TC, Jaguar Classic Challenge, HRDC, HMR 1000km and Pre 80 Endurance grids
Old 22 Feb 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3616847)   #2
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timetable now available:

http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/the-races/
Old 22 Feb 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3616848)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Gary! Going to a busy busy paddock.......
Old 22 Feb 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3616851)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was planning on attending on the Monday but looking at the timetable Sunday is another excellent days racing.

Do they still allow camping for spectators ? and if so is there still an overnight curfew for the airport ?
Old 23 Feb 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3617014)   #5
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
this year the Donny Festival will be without any Formula Junior races.
Last year they had two races as double headers, Front and Rear engined
4 in total

this year FJ were strung along and then hung out to dry

with hindsight you could see the writing on the wall last year
the race slot for RE race start past 7pm was as bad as it could get

The festival organisers now start giving the boot to the racers that supported the event with money and enthusiasm in its formative years, but are now not needed anymore and hence not wellcome anymore

I mean to combine racing my Junior(s) with Historic F2.
and ended up canning my entries for a number of reasons
including the above

my understanding is that some races needed to be canned to free up tracktime for the 3 hour race
but some of the would be 3 hour racers now complain that this will eat up half their engine life, meant to last a season, eeeeeexpensive

RE
Old 25 Feb 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3617619)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's all sorts of things going on here; not least the complaints from European racers who didn't like having to be around for two days. Thus the format has changed. I expected to be there for three days. I'm qualifying and racing on Saturday so only one day for me.

Can't please all of the people all of the time sadly.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3617629)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I have a few options for this, and can't decide, one things for sure, it'll be very busy!
Old 1 Mar 2016, 06:27 (Ref:3618926)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post

Do they still allow camping for spectators ? and if so is there still an overnight curfew for the airport ?
I don't know what what the camping arrangements are but there has never been an overnight curfew for the airport. EMA is the only airport in the country with no night time flying restrictions at all.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 12:07 (Ref:3618993)   #9
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There seems to be quite a bit of construction work going on in the paddock area at the moment. Between the Formula E complex and the marshal's camping area. Presumably that will be over before the season starts in earnest.

I have no idea what it might be.

For those who enjoy track days I note that bookatrack have taken part of one of the units in the Formula E complex although what significance that may have is unclear.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3618995)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I note that bookatrack have taken part of one of the units in the Formula E complex although what significance that may have is unclear.
Apologies for going OT, but it is interesting. They're establishing a 'Caterham Showroom' at Donington. That particular track day company runs Caterham cars, so sounds like are going up a gear and establishing a dealership....

Old 1 Mar 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3618996)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

For those who enjoy track days I note that bookatrack have taken part of one of the units in the Formula E complex although what significance that may have is unclear.
Bookatrack have expanded and diversified their business and taken on the Midlands Caterham dealership rights, and so this is the new Midlands Caterham showroom, I think.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3619004)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Snap!
Old 1 Mar 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3619005)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Indeed, Mike, we were obviously both typing a similar thing at the same time.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 12:55 (Ref:3619007)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Apologies for going OT, but it is interesting. They're establishing a 'Caterham Showroom' at Donington. That particular track day company runs Caterham cars, so sounds like are going up a gear and establishing a dealership....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Snap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Indeed, Mike, we were obviously both typing a similar thing at the same time.
Simultaneously.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3619048)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.facebook.com/15662910068...53312254365686

Bookatrack Caterham showroom due to open on 5th March apparently.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3619335)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There seems to be quite a bit of construction work going on in the paddock area at the moment. Between the Formula E complex and the marshal's camping area. Presumably that will be over before the season starts in earnest.

I have no idea what it might be.

Hmm, is this taking further possible parking space away from competitors?

The paddock is pretty tight as it is for this especially since the Formula E unit went up!
Old 2 Mar 2016, 19:05 (Ref:3619375)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think that's another reason for the schedule. I'm practicing and racing on Saturday. Means I don't need to be in the paddock on Sunday.

I suspect the final instructions will ask us to vacate in the evening.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 23:33 (Ref:3619442)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hmm, is this taking further possible parking space away from competitors?

The paddock is pretty tight as it is for this especially since the Formula E unit went up!
The work seemed to be at the back of the Bookatrack building where one usually finds stray trucks and stuff parked up . It didn't look like the work itself would be taking up a lot of space for whatever it is to be but the effect on the gravelled area available is unknown.

That said last Thursday the pits end of the paddock was very crowded. It seems that there are larger artics arriving in ever larger numbers for the test days.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 23:39 (Ref:3619445)   #19
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think that's another reason for the schedule. I'm practicing and racing on Saturday. Means I don't need to be in the paddock on Sunday.

I suspect the final instructions will ask us to vacate in the evening.
You could be right Peter.

I would imagine that vehicle passes may also be strictly controlled like most of last year.

Might be good to turn up in a e-car there are a few charging points just inside the gate at the Formula E complex and I suspect they might like to see them be used at some point.

How about an e-Caterham?
Old 3 Mar 2016, 06:24 (Ref:3619485)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
How about an e-Caterham?
It must be possible, Morgan are bringing out an electric version of the 3 wheeler. In fact, to meet ultimate manufacturer targets set for emissions, they'll probably have to roll out something similar! Anyway, that's all OT....

My lack of enthusiasm in the past to race at Donington has mostly centred around the paddock size, condition and facilities. During this coming meeting it is really going to be crowded, so I hope whatever is being done at the moment works for the competitors!
Old 30 Mar 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3628688)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Some encouraging rumours on FB suggesting that the Touring Car Trophy entry is already 40 strong.....

If that is full of proper tourers as has always been intended, it will be a tremendous achievement.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 12:52 (Ref:3628691)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I saw Lindsay from MRL at the 74MM. She was very excited about the entries thus far. I'm sure the rumours are true.

My engine looks like it will be replaced in time so I'm looking forward to it. In Group 1 we will be running on Post Historics rather than slicks, should make life interesting.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 12:55 (Ref:3628693)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I saw Lindsay from MRL at the 74MM. She was very excited about the entries thus far. I'm sure the rumours are true.

My engine looks like it will be replaced in time so I'm looking forward to it. In Group 1 we will be running on Post Historics rather than slicks, should make life interesting.
Yes I hope you have an engine back in your car too, I was thinking you must've been pretty ****ed off when you saw the smoke...

What is the reason for the grooved tyres being run again Pete? Was it a cost issue or lack of availability of suitable slicks?
Old 30 Mar 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3628710)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Philosophical.

We can't get slicks for the Gp1 Rovers but we could run Yokos. The thought was that having to switch tyres was putting some of the Goodwood competitors off. So we stick with the Post Historics. Anyone want to buy a part used set of Yokos?
Old 31 Mar 2016, 07:57 (Ref:3628944)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've entered the HRDC BTCC race with the Crustina, was contemplating U2TC but can't justify double the price for an extra 15 minutes.

I'm expecting the closest we'll get to the Paddock arriving Sunday will be just South of Simon H's back yard!