Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1612016)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
McLaren morale needs a shot in the arm

First we have Kimi admitting to giving up on his chances at the WDC, after only 6 races and now we have JPM being scolded for his "traction control failure" speech after retiring in Spain. McLaren seems badly in need of a morale boost, imo. Can they snap out of the doldrums?
Old 17 May 2006, 04:41 (Ref:1612057)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its not just Kimi and Juan, but even the management are in doubts.

True, it may be a realistic opinion, but surely it doesnt' look healthy and helpful for the employees who work countless hours to hear their management say "there's nothing we can do".

But indeed, Mclaren has lost their way (again). To refocus and aim for wins is good, as it narrows the focus and give the team a more realistic goal. To lose many key people over the span of half a year is not going to help the team.

But don't discount Mclaren. All it takes is for the team to hit a lucky break, and they'd be back on track.

Pardon me, but i'm quite curious how Ron and Haug can fail to exploit such great resources repeatedly over the past 3 seasons without learning anything from it.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1612058)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, to be fair, they learnt from 2004 and performed very well in 2005.
Old 17 May 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1612094)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, to be fair, they learnt from 2004 and performed very well in 2005.
So they learn in 2006 and perform relatively well in 2007........again.

It's that cyclic thing again....6 more years of Renault domination.
Old 17 May 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1612339)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Times are a-changing at McLaren, with Newey, Prodromou and Tombazis leaving for pastures new and a likely change of both race drivers in the close season, this is a challenging period.

However, I have no doubt that Ron Dennis has the nous to rise to the challenge and build a successful championship challenge in 2007.

For the remainder of this season, in my opinion, their ultimate aim has to be to re-structure the design team and score some morale boosting wins, as the title is, unfortunately, well out of reach.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1612436)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren have competely failed to follow up on the strengths of 2005. They have pretty good reliability, but such lacklustre performance, especially as their budget is probably lower than Renault's.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1612451)   #7
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren lately always seem to have been in the cycle of having to play catch up and when they do they have a potentially winning car but it always seems too late. Not that they were ever the most light-hearted team in the paddock but what joy there was seems to have been sucked out of them, they need to inject fresh vigour and impetous into them and drag themselves out of this.
Old 17 May 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1612453)   #8
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso will be their shot in the arm.

seems like they are treading water till then though.
Old 17 May 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1612487)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps they would benefit from Mike Gascoyne linking up again with Fernando.

Just a thought!
Old 17 May 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1612496)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure they're treading water, solely because Alonso is coming on board. However as already said, they've certainly failed to follow up on previous strengths. Playing good year, bad year isn't the way things shouls work.
Old 17 May 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1612514)   #11
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
Alonso will be their shot in the arm.

seems like they are treading water till then though.
He is not enough, gonna take them a while. Think he is in for a major surprise next year.
Old 17 May 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1612642)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, they've shot themselves in the foot already anyway, so shooting them in the arm too might balance things out a bit...
Old 17 May 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1612646)   #13
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Me thinks everyone at the factory spent too long looking at themselves in the shiny new paint job than making a good car this year!

Certainly a surprise to see them fall off the pace as much as they have done this year, considering the car they had last year. Losing Newey has probably had the biggest effect as he would be the guy they'd turn to sort this understeer problem out. Driver commitment might be acking somewhat as well, with both likely to move on come 2007. But I still think they can rescue themselves, even if it isn't till 2007. They fell away before during the late 90's only to surge to the fore again in 1998.
Old 17 May 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1612651)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having been to the factory a week ago or so, it certainly is shiny....wouldn't want to work there, would do my head in. Having also seen the old one at the same time, the new one's an improvement, though not to my taste!

It's surprising to see them like this, and the comments by JPM and Kimi (presuming that they have been accurately reported). Be interesting to see what they can improve on by the end of the season.
Old 17 May 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1612657)   #15
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
I'm not sure they're treading water, solely because Alonso is coming on board.
Not yet but that is what it may come down to. They need a win to gain some momentum. The situation may get even stickier if Kimi and/or JPM announce they have signed elsewhere for '07.

As for Alonso. He must be questioning his hastiness in signing up, now that Renault are committed to F1 for a while yet.
Old 17 May 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1612698)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Simple. They can't afford to tread water, because F1 is a moving train. If you stand still (or tread water), you get left behind.

McLaren are already playing catch-up; they won't want to make the situation any worse.
Old 17 May 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1612722)   #17
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they cant afford to tread water but they are. montoya has gone all grumpy and never drives well unless there is a chance of winning. and whilst kimi drives brilliantly and hard in races he's never seemed to be the most committed test driver. he did the least testing mileage of any full time F1 driver last year!
Old 17 May 2006, 17:18 (Ref:1612738)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
That probably sums up why they signed Alonso!

I have a theory that they are missing having a Friday test driver this year. Given the nature of the two race drivers, that must have made a big difference.
Old 17 May 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1612747)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if Alonso is thinking why they signed him...

Last edited by Bononi; 17 May 2006 at 17:30.
Old 17 May 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1612753)   #20
Kirk
Veteran

Hello Jense:

Yes, Freddy here ... just a quick question about contracts ..................
So how much did it actuallly cost you ........................ Hmmm ...... that much! OK thanks .................. talk soon
Old 17 May 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1612768)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i dont think Alonso will be regretting his Mac move just yet. Mac have a history in bouncing back. They did it in 05 after the disasterous 04. Who's to say that they wont be the class of the field in 07?
Old 17 May 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1612794)   #22
Suze
Veteran

England
They might be....but then again they might not!

I have no idea of the inside situations at either team, but if I was Alonso - I would be praying that McLaren make a serious bounce back next year.
Old 17 May 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1612797)   #23
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Havent you noticed that Alonso is saying in almost each and every line he expects mclaren to be up there?
Old 17 May 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1612873)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did Juan Pablo regret his McLaren move at any stage in 2004? Things were far worse then. And look what happened....McLaren came out with the MP4/20.

Although McLaren design personnel are rather lighter on the ground for next season admittedly!

But Alonso will honour his contract and make a success of it, something a certain Jenson Button could learn from I'm sure!
Old 17 May 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1612889)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
They might be....but then again they might not!

I have no idea of the inside situations at either team, but if I was Alonso - I would be praying that McLaren make a serious bounce back next year.
Like in 97 to 98 - from 4th to 1st... high hopes.