Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Gt1 7 70.00%
LMP 900 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Jun 2001, 23:38 (Ref:110125)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is better , GT1 or LMP 900?

Two different fields of cars , GT1 and LMPs.Both in the same class really but which is better? Each have their benefits and disadvantages. LMPs can keep their drivers cool while in Gt1's the temp can sore , and LMPs tend to be a little lighter and have the bigger tyres. But if it rains the pedals will get wet unlike in Gt1s but which is the better of the two? I'd say LMP in dry conditions and GT1 if it is wet!
Old 27 Jun 2001, 02:28 (Ref:110169)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about the wet, OTOH, lmp drivers will have better visibility. But, another point, gt1 cars will be better aerodynamically. I still vote for lmp, though, its benefits, all told, are greater
Old 27 Jun 2001, 19:54 (Ref:110422)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 is better. Remember such cars as McLaren F1, Mercedes CLK, Porsche 911, Panoz GTR-1, Lister Storm GT1, Quaife R4, Nissan R390, Toyota GT-ONE?

It would be good to have bith GT1 and LMP900 together in a championship, it would bring the great sportscars days back.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 10:38 (Ref:110686)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT1 - for the simple fact they look better, are based (very loosely) on road cars, and more manufacturers are interested.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 23:00 (Ref:110962)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I f I have to choose between the two, I would choose GT1- simply because they look cool!!
Old 29 Jun 2001, 20:58 (Ref:111267)   #6
Daisy the cow
Rookie

Daisy the cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to disagree with all of you there. The prototypes proved to be much cheaper to build and race, the GT1's were dinasours that killed themselves because of spiralling costs. The cars were supposed to be woth no more than a millon dollars US, but cars like the Porsche GT1-98 and Toyota GT1 were clearly stretching that. The rule saying that manufacturers had to produce at least one road registered version of their racer, seemed not to apply to those two, or Mercedes custom flying car which nearly killed Mark Webber twice.

I challenge anyone to find a picture of the Toyota road car, which is hard because it doesn't exist. At least Nissan built a +300kmh road car ( in electric blue duco, with fog lamps and all ,) even though it has been kept in house. Really most of the cars after the McLaren were technically dubious ragarding the rules. So really you have to go back to the BPR spec cars of 95/96 with the XJ220, F40, McLaren, Viper and so forth, and that was a fabulous time. But nobody bettered the McLaren after that on road or track. Once the rules were bent by their competitors, in the next year the series was dead. Bringing it back wouldn't change anything either.

Now, it seems, Don Panoz for ALMS, and the Le Mans board for their stuff, and what ever the FIA does, they have a better control of their respective series and the situation is more stable. Although people got mighty worried by Saleen trying to race the S7R under different manufacturing specs, which had been disallowed to Chevrolet for example.

In my view Sportscar Racing will probably last about five more years before being completely trashed and overhauled.

Well we had Group C then, BPR/GT spec, then LM/GT1 spec cars, now LMP900 spec cars...

It doesn't look so rosy a history, lets hope the future is more sound.
Old 4 Jul 2001, 18:50 (Ref:113070)   #7
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think there is a requirement for a road registered example of the GT1 cars, although I have seen examples of the Porsche GT1 98 and the old Panoz GTR1 (great looking car- metalic purple, reg no. DPR 10, if I remember right..)
One of the great things about Le Mans is multi class racing, it wouldn't be the same if, for example, there were only LMP900's in the race!
Old 9 Jul 2001, 16:43 (Ref:114874)   #8
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 are best, and whats a few million $$$ for the big car companies anyway?