Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 14 Oct 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2971342)   #51
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
In the past a plum seat in a good team was exactly that, primarily because teams ran just two cars. Demand would outstrip supply. Carlin decided to expand to meet the demand and ended up last year running 6 cars. It's not unreasonable to believe that most well heeled drivers would want a Carlin seat, be that based on hype or fact. It follows therefore that, unchecked, Carlin could potentially have continued to expand - this year 8 cars, next year 10 cars, then 12 the year after and so on. It's not inconceivable to believe that eventually they would have a monopoly and the other teams would cease to exist. In order to protect their own viability, the other teams want Carlin limited to a lower [than 6] number of cars next year than this.

o Should all teams be limited to fielding just 2 cars ? Would that improve the racing or the health of the series ?
o Should Carlin [or anyone else] be allowed to run as many cars as they like ? Would/is that damaging the series ?
o Should BF3 go 'communist' like F2 and have the entire series run by one outfit ?

Forget about recessions or economic crises. These are the important questions of our time
You don't seem to be aware that Carlin have agreed to reduce their entry to five cars next year - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95285

In answer to your specific questions:

o This year 6 teams have entered BF3 on a regular basis and regularly fielded 20/20 car. On that basis it would clearly not improve the health of the series to limit each of them to 2 cars..
o No. As stated, Carlin have already to a reduction to five cars. It might be an idea to impose that as a limit in the regulations from now on.
o Absolutely not. See bella's post above. It would be a disaster.

A few other relevant facts. Next year the International Class teams have to buy new chassis. The year after there is a brand new engine, so there is major expenditure ahead.

If teams want to keep their existing cars they can, but would have to run in the National Class and use the control NBE Mugen-Honda engine. Their contracts with Mercedes and VW will probably expire at the end of the season and the NBE deal is much less expensive. I think that next year there will be a major increase in the National Class numbers. I know of one team that intends to switch and there are said to be Formula Ford teams that would rather switch to the National Class than buy the new FFord car.

Hope that helps.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2971445)   #52
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, I was asking hypothetical questions there. I am aware of the state of affairs as of Thursday this week. Nonetheless a lesson in egg sucking is always enjoyable
Old 15 Oct 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2971496)   #53
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
apart from the total false start that is "formula 2", are there any where you really can win from a team who occupied the last few rows of the grid the previous season? honest question.
I don't know about teams occupying the last few rows but when Alx Danielsson won FR 3.5 in 2006 it was in a brand new team where the other drivers pretty much didn't produce any results neither that year or the next.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2971504)   #54
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Ah, I was asking hypothetical questions there. I am aware of the state of affairs as of Thursday this week. Nonetheless a lesson in egg sucking is always enjoyable
Understood, but you asked and I replied. I still wouldn't treat that article in Autsport as gospel either. I've had several phone calls about it from teams. The feeling is that the journalist in question was out to make a name for himself more than anything else.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2971625)   #55
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Strider says above "there are said to be Formula Ford teams that would rather switch to the National Class than buy the new FFord car". I spoke to one team owner at Silverstone who was certainly interested in F3 next year.
Furthermore there were a couple of previous F3 team owners seen in the paddock/SRO unit and I can't believe they were there for a free coffee... Once the Carlin issue is settled, (and it appears to be heading that way), I think we will see more teams next year.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2971839)   #56
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I've only just spotted a small piece in Autosport this week saying that Carlos Sainz Jr is headed for British F3 next year, probably with Carlin, who for the moment are only saying it is very likely.

I think once the squabbling has died down, which has a lot to do to someone who doesn't run a team himself but thought he saw an opportunity for personal glory and a journalist who thought he'd make a name for himself regardless of the consequences, then everything will be fine.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2971849)   #57
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sainz jnr confirmed in the eurocup race 2 press conference at barcelona that he'd be racing with carlin next year, yes. hopefully the other current red bull junior daniil kvyat will be going with him too, he's just as competitive as sainz.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2971985)   #58
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
That's good. Also pleased to hear from Alex Lynn on TV today that he'll be moving up to BF3 and that the details should be confirmed in the next week.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2973246)   #59
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
This is one of those announcements that doesn't get me very excited, but Pipo Derani is to switch from Double R Racing to Fortec Motorsport for next season, so from one Mercedes team to another. At least it shows that drivers are looking at teams other than Carlin.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95503
Old 20 Oct 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2974514)   #60
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another 2012 signing for Fortec, Alex Lynn the reigning Formula Renault UK Champion.
Full story at:
http://www.formula3.co/news/team-new...ortec-for-2012
Old 21 Oct 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2974561)   #61
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's very good to see that two drivers have committed to Fortec, and British F3 so early.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2976238)   #62
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Interesting tweet from Double R Racing tonight: "A good day of testing. No official timing. William Buller 'very' competitive!"
Old 24 Oct 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2976251)   #63
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3rd year driver... 3*600k = 1,8 million
Old 25 Oct 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2976403)   #64
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
3rd year driver... 3*600k = 1,8 million
It's a ridiculous amount of money for what it is.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2976407)   #65
EastonNeston
Veteran

With his 3rd team as well!
Surely there are benfits to be gained from teh continuity of a long term relationship with a team.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2976427)   #66
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
If you don't find the success you expect with one team, you look for another. Don't forget that Buller won the Macau FBMW race a couple of years comfortably from Felipe Nasr, who was his team-mate.

As for the figures, I haven't seen the contracts, so don't know how much is involved.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2976428)   #67
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
probably, but if you discover you don't mesh with an engineer or perhaps they don't have the right knowledge you need to develop, then it's fair you'd want to move on.

course if you used pre-season testing correctly in the first place you'd not have that issue.

(comments general and not specific to this situation. but you should have enough common sense to know that already)
Old 25 Oct 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2976789)   #68
EastonNeston
Veteran

Probably fair to say that whoever buller drives for gets a very good rate for test days at Rockingham!
Old 26 Oct 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2976937)   #69
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
Probably fair to say that whoever buller drives for gets a very good rate for test days at Rockingham!
At least it seems fair to be sharing the debts around.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2977018)   #70
EastonNeston
Veteran

Just annouced that Scott Pye has signed with Fortec, subject to funding.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2977280)   #71
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
If Buller signs with Double R, that'll be a direct swap and I know who I think has come out of it better.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2977671)   #72
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's a ridiculous amount of money for what it is.
As a motorsport commentator once cynically remarked "you never see a poor F3 team owner"!
Old 27 Oct 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2977800)   #73
EastonNeston
Veteran

I can think of several exceptions to that statement.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2978412)   #74
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how this turned into a British F3 2012 thread.
Old 31 Oct 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2979584)   #75
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I think it's probably because what happens to British F3 will probably determine the future of F3. The F3ES is a shadow of its former self, but I think that if some of the better teams are prepared to join BF3 at selected rounds, i.e. the FIA ones, all will be well.
Closed Thread