Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:28 (Ref:372075)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful Spa!

Well I'm back from one of the greatest weekends of my life at Spa. The sound of cars echoing around the forests of the ardens is something I'll never forget. Anyone that thinks F1 has lost its magic need only watch a race from amongst the trees at the bus stop to appreciate how fantastic it still is.

From the race point of view I felt it was superb, yes schu ran away at an unhealthy rate of nots but it was facinating to see the behaviour of the cars in the bus stop, particularly the Ferrari's which just seemed to be on rails when compared to the rest of the field.

JPM did as I predicted on the sports return to a true drivers circuit and showed Ralf the way to go. Kimi and DC did better than expected but I saw nothing for DC to moan about regarding JPM's diffencive driving this time out!

Driver of the day for me however was Jacques Villeneuve who really put in a masterful drive that displayed a level of passion we have sorely missed from him of late.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 14:43 (Ref:372158)   #2
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,it was...but it waas so cold in the morning (night)
Most of the drivers showed good form.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 16:32 (Ref:372226)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Blimey it was absolutely freezing wasn't it during that 3 hour wait between the Porsche's and the race!!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 17:57 (Ref:372301)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. Spa... should go there some time.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 19:23 (Ref:372352)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah me too, in a dream time...
Old 3 Sep 2002, 19:36 (Ref:372366)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, it was blooming cold! Especially Saturday night in the tent!

I was sitting there waiting for the race thinking the Michelin runners were stuffed with this temperature. From what I could see I was right (I haven't seen the broadcast yet).

I was on the flat-out approach to the bus-stop chicane and I couldn't believe the gap Michael had made in just one lap from the start.

The only thing I will say is that there should have been more support races! I was getting withdrawal symptoms waiting for the race.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 19:41 (Ref:372374)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys .....im really jealous now !..thank you .

ive always wanted to visit Spa , and Monza too . I will one day , well , if Bernie has his way maybe i wont .

Glad you had a wicked time Damon .
Old 3 Sep 2002, 19:42 (Ref:372375)   #8
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back Damon

I hope you have enjoyed yourself over there. And I am glad the racing is not dead in that respect!
Perhaps I go watch Spa next year if uncle Bernie does not kill it though. Bad uncle!

I wish I was there to see JV's overtaking and Schumacher’s fastest laps!

Cheers Damon
Old 3 Sep 2002, 19:51 (Ref:372392)   #9
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah their should be more support races!On whitch camping were you on?
Old 3 Sep 2002, 19:55 (Ref:372398)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bart_jacobs
On whitch camping were you on?
I was on L'Eau Rouge in Stavelot. The 2km walk to the track was a bit of a pain, but needs must.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 22:45 (Ref:372567)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The race itself wasn't particularly exciting - but I didn't seem to care. I could watch cars flying around that track on their own all day.
Old 4 Sep 2002, 11:33 (Ref:372936)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Spudgun, you, like me, were one one of the few people going out of the stavelot exit then, much quieter than the spa end wasn't it. That walk was a pain, but to be able to leave the camp 6 miles away at 9am and be in place at the bus stop for 9.30 is pretty damn good compared to silverstone (it would have been better if they'd allowed parking on both sides of the road mind).

Legend, you must make it out there as soon as you can, it really was something else to see the cars tackling such a great circuit in the flesh. I was also at the podium when schu came back out after the various interviews to see the crowd again, I must admit even I applauded him although I felt a little dirty for it afterwards .
Old 4 Sep 2002, 20:18 (Ref:373264)   #13
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I drove over on Sunday morning...Sato San! you are in Kent £47. Chunnel =30 mins then only a 2hr 45min drive to Spa. Motorway all the way! Drove straight into a field (muddy) and walked down into the valley at Kemmel (top of Eau Rouge) and squeeze past scrums of idiots watching (or being conned) by 'find the lady' merchants...walked all the way Pouhon corner. Would have been easier had I worn mountaineering boots and a pick and perched on a rock on a 45 degree spectator bank!

Yeah fantastic atmos...but what a dreadful bit of organising leaving us all to wait 3 hours between the Porsche Cup cars and the GP!
Old 5 Sep 2002, 09:25 (Ref:373606)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Rennen, why don't you send me a PM so that we can communicate?

Valve
Old 7 Sep 2002, 01:02 (Ref:374998)   #15
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
M (wonderful spa_)

I thought that this was a Monty Python skit appreciation thread so I thought I'd just add my "M".

but seriously folks, there certainly is a special aspect to seeing these cars in real life, even if they aren't passing each other much. The acceleration and braking is something else and really should be seen by your own eyes at least once if one follows this sport.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 01:16 (Ref:375010)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Not if Bernie has his way

Valve