Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Dec 2000, 12:52 (Ref:53153)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Next season's first jaunt will be to the French GP. Does anyone have any advice on camp sites etc...??? We're planning to drive there ourselves so we can come and go as we please. Any advice on the best places to watch too??

Cheers.

Old 18 Dec 2000, 23:54 (Ref:53247)   #2
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't give you any personal advice but you might want to check out their website:

http://www.magny-cours.com/anglais/
Old 20 Dec 2000, 14:50 (Ref:53481)   #3
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made the trip a few years ago and learnt the following things:

1. You can pretty much camp in the car parks, unlike Germany where the Polizei come and kick your tents down.

2. The general admission area down at the hairpin is the most popular "cheap seat" but the fans sit there all night to secure a spot and bearing in mind how hard it rained the year I was there, regretted it.

3. We rolled up at around 4AM Saturday and bought parking and grandstand seats on the spot at that time without queuing. Seats were OK, could see most of the infield but not start/finish or pits obviously.

4. It is a ******* hard drive, left Friday night ferry and drove all night at silly speeds to get there. Basically it is in the middle of nowhere. (You go about 1.5 hours south of Paris and then about 2 hours East)

5. Race can be a bit processional.

6. VIP Parking is worth the extra money as they lock the normal parking after the race and you all sit there until the last VIP has gone. Best to plan a bar-b-q or something after the flag if you are not dashing back to Calais for the mdnight boat.

7. Of the tracks I have watched GPs at, I would go to Hockenheim, Spa, Monaco, Silverstone or Nurburgring in preference just for ease of travel and quality of viewing/atmosphere.

8. Still a GP though!!!!

Hope that helps

RickP:Clio33
Old 20 Dec 2000, 22:59 (Ref:53554)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Cheers for that. I refuse to go to the race at Silverstone simply because I have no wish to line the pockets of the fat cats who run it with their extortionate race day tickets. That said, I'm tempted not to go to qualifying either this year as they are charging £63.

Hockenheim is a possibility I'd say, and we were thinking of doing Spa again instead of Italy.

Old 21 Dec 2000, 08:55 (Ref:53599)   #5
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hockenheim is good if you can get a ticket...
They get pretty upset if Schuey breaks down in front of you and you jump up and down cheering though...
Sat at the first corner the year Jacques took out half the field there and then 7 cars trogged round for an hour and a half. Blazing hot, don't eat the burgers, 2 out of 3 of our party got tragic poisoning from them.

Spa is wet, tough to see very much of the action but awesome if you can get a spot where you can watch qualifying through Eau Rouge... saw Senna through there 1 year and it was breathtaking. Best to aim for a seat near a diamond vision screen as ever!

RickP
Old 22 Dec 2000, 13:58 (Ref:53821)   #6
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anywhere you haven't been Rick?
Old 22 Dec 2000, 16:23 (Ref:53830)   #7
Veteran

England
Zurich
I used to think nothing of driving a couple of thousand miles on a weekend so if I had nothing else planned I'd head for a European GP...

in addition to one very wet trip to Magny Cours I:

Did Belgium twice...

top tip, fill up with fuel on the Saturday as Belgian petrol stations don't open Sundays unless they're on a very main road.

Done Le Mans 6 or 7 times, lost count

Did Hockenheim once and Monaco once

Flying I did Barcelona once and Monza once

The only trip I bottled on (and I regret it now I'm old and my body probably wouldn't survive it) was the day trip to the Adelaide GP!

Flight left London mid afternoon Friday, change planes in Paris Friday evening.
Because of the time difference you land Adelaide Sunday morning, watch the warm up and the GP and then fly home Sunday evening arriving Paris first thing Monday and back at your desk in London Monday lunchtime

Got as far as reserving a seat and then decided since I'd never been to Oz, it seemed silly to blow £1600 and not see the place.

Still never been to Oz.

Funnily enough, this was all before I had the racing habit and therefore no money!

Have a good Xmas I'm outta here

Rickster
Old 4 Jan 2001, 20:11 (Ref:56077)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did BArcelona a couple of years ago - great town - race track nearby - stayed on the coast - half hour to get out of the car park and then no trafiic - sat at the top of the last but one stand on the start straight - very cheap too - it was the race where Irvine attacked Fisichella or someone/something like that - as I understand the problem with Spa is that its very few laps very expensive very wet - and in Belgium.....
Old 4 Jan 2001, 22:39 (Ref:56116)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Spa is cheap and full of atmosphere but we were at Kemmel and were astounded at how quickly the race passed.

As for the rain, I swear I was the first person EVER to get sunburnt there...

Looks like Magny-Cours is off as I am jetting off to the USA for 6 weeks - therefore we go to Monza instead.

Old 14 Jan 2001, 21:33 (Ref:58494)   #10
Yogi
Rookie

Yogi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the middle of NO-WHERE

Hi Magny Cours eh. Well don't know about the driving as I was living in Germany then and it was a 10 hours drive fron where I lived. But as for Grandstand's I'd go for the Adelaide Hairpin again, loads of overtaking manouvers, a rare sight in F1 these days. We went in 1994 and the weather was baking, 47 degrees track temp. The local fire brigade came around spraying the crowd as it was so hot. But my advice is go for the hairpin, its great.