Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 May 2020, 05:43 (Ref:3976304)   #1
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst 12Hr to make way for second Supercars event

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/15...percars-event/

The 2021 Bathurst 12 Hour is set to be replaced in favour of a second Supercars event at Mount Panorama as part of a rejigged 2020 calendar.

Speedcafe.com understands a heavily revised calendar will see the Virgin Australia Supercars season end at Bathurst for the first time in two decades.

The event will not necessarily be held on the 12 Hour’s traditional February date as the sport looks to restart following the outbreak of COVID-19.
Old 15 May 2020, 05:49 (Ref:3976305)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pretty ordinary by v8sc if they bin the 12 hour for the sake of cobbling together a v8sc calendar.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but this was obviously one of the concerns and fears raised (non Covid) when v8sc took over the promotional rights in 2016.

A 12 Hour event with local teams and drivers could still be run in 2021, with a widening of the class structure
Old 15 May 2020, 06:19 (Ref:3976307)   #3
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to ask, have all the teams got enough money to run two Bathurst events close together and a third one 10 months later.

Then this...

With Supercars contractually bound to host its season finale in New South Wales, it is believed to have replaced the Newcastle event with a second appearance at Bathurst.

Contracturally bound to who, The NSW government?
Old 15 May 2020, 06:23 (Ref:3976308)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
The 12 hour in its current format was deeply at risk as soon as Covid happened. Not only issues with international freight and travel for personnel but also with so many of the drivers / entrants self-funding (at least partially) the discretionary spend nature of entering the event would most likely result in it sliding down the priority list for entrants.

I know I won't convince you otherwise DRT as you despise anything from Supercars but I don't see it as "pretty ordinary" at all - just reality in an extremely challenging environment. Not convinced about a widened local class structure for 2021 if, as no doubt hoped, it gets back to Intercontinental GT3 status in 2022. Running for one year in a lower level state could dilute what the event has come to stand for and essentially force it to be rebuilt again.

Doing it this way maintains the status and brand of the 12 Hour and hopefully we'll see the event back on again in 2022.
Old 15 May 2020, 06:47 (Ref:3976313)   #5
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I would have to ask, have all the teams got enough money to run two Bathurst events close together and a third one 10 months later.

Then this...

With Supercars contractually bound to host its season finale in New South Wales, it is believed to have replaced the Newcastle event with a second appearance at Bathurst.

Contracturally bound to who, The NSW government?
Yes.Since 2009.
Old 15 May 2020, 07:41 (Ref:3976315)   #6
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I think this sentence is the crux of it

"Question marks surrounding international travel and logistics are understood to have complicated planning for next year’s event."

If there was doubt the international cars and drivers can come. the event would be a dud.

Its my fave event of the year, so hopefully it will be back 2022
Old 15 May 2020, 07:52 (Ref:3976317)   #7
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love B12Hour but it makes sense that it won’t happen as planned.

Shame but understandable.
Old 15 May 2020, 08:13 (Ref:3976320)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
I think this sentence is the crux of it

"Question marks surrounding international travel and logistics are understood to have complicated planning for next year’s event."

If there was doubt the international cars and drivers can come. the event would be a dud.

Its my fave event of the year, so hopefully it will be back 2022
What is your definition of a dud?

Surely the option of holding a 12 hour vs non 12 hour at all is a preferred option?

The IGTC is not the baseline, the event grew from a local competitor base. I am not sure why now it can't be held based on the same?

With a different promoter at the helm, I can't see a hiatus being the preferred option?
Old 15 May 2020, 09:43 (Ref:3976339)   #9
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bummer. But not surprised, I have posed the same question elsewhere here about the availability of entries, simply from entrants having the budget after CV. I would expect the travel to be less of an issue, though even that is dependent on there being no further 'second wave' travel restrictions.

I'd really like to see that SRO is the one pulling the plug, and that it isn't just Supercars acting pre-emptively.

DRT, I doubt that the locals will be in a better place to sustain an event, my guess is that they will be harder hit than the IGTC crew. Love to be persuaded otherwise though.
Old 15 May 2020, 09:45 (Ref:3976340)   #10
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is bullsh*t!
Old 15 May 2020, 11:27 (Ref:3976376)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The IGTC is not the baseline, the event grew from a local competitor base. I am not sure why now it can't be held based on the same?
The problem is the competitors of the "old" 12 hour now race in the 6 hour, and local GT is a shambles. I think about all the "gentlemen" drivers that make up AGT competitors, and they will no doubt have huge financial losses and will no doubt the VERY busy trying to fix the issues in the businesses that allow them to go racing. I doubt very much whether many of these guys will be up for their regular jaunt.

Quote:
With a different promoter at the helm, I can't see a hiatus being the preferred option?
Who is going to go to massive financial risk to run a race for maybe 10 cars, especially at a time when its very shaky whether fans will turn up, how densely they can be accomodated... How they can even travel.

You can bet your butt that if this was GT only it would be off.
Old 15 May 2020, 12:47 (Ref:3976399)   #12
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I'd really like to see that SRO is the one pulling the plug, and that it isn't just Supercars acting pre-emptively.
SRO don't own or promote the event though, the ICGT is a bit of an "add on" to the race itself.
Old 15 May 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3976410)   #13
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there was ever any chance that the 12 hour would be run and there is no chance that the AGP will run either because of the long lead time required to set up both and decisions have to be made now.
Old 15 May 2020, 14:09 (Ref:3976415)   #14
thunderbolt
Veteran

WILL THIS BE THE RETURN TO 7 for supercars or is ten going to drop supercars
Old 16 May 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3976556)   #15
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bathurst Council have a fifty percent share of this event, so not a Supercars only decision

A good portion of the 12hr fanbase don’t care for Supercars so would be unlikely to attend a Supercars race in its place, would they come back for 2022?

It’s a 12hr enduro, the first priority should be to ensure a 12hr race happens, not use the weekend as a safety net for a different series that’s already raced there 4 months earlier
Old 16 May 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3976588)   #16
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back in 2016-17 an Australian competitor only GT 12 Hour would have been viable.The category has collapsed so much it is not viable now.For example the 101 race at Eastern Creek in 2016 had 24 Championship class GT3 cars.Now that top category barely reaches double figures.
The IGTC are in no position to commit to travelling the world to do the series.Personnel getting access to Australia is highly unlikely and the same could be true of South Africa,Japan,USA etc.The uncertainty of the situation Is not going to change anytime soon.
A Supercar race at Bathurst on the Newcastle date is probably the best option for Supercars.By 2022 I think Archer/Supercars would have gone belly up and the 12 Hour will be looking for a new promoter anyway.
Old 16 May 2020, 21:55 (Ref:3976671)   #17
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Supercars and 12hr double header, 5-7 Feb, assuming travel restrictions allow the GT teams to travel there. If Australia will let me in and Bathurst will let me come to the track, I'll be there for that.
Old 17 May 2020, 00:19 (Ref:3976683)   #18
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQzgmOh...=1h0vl233cv6ux

The IGTC instagram is saying here that the GT part of the 12hr is still on at this stage. Supercars themselves have said in their revised calendar update that "As for the second Bathurst round, it’s not yet clear what portion of GT racing will feature given current international travel restrictions", which suggests it's just up in the air at the moment.
Old 17 May 2020, 06:09 (Ref:3976693)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!

12 Hr Super Car race......
Old 17 May 2020, 06:22 (Ref:3976695)   #20
thunderbolt
Veteran

https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/...4-02458caec6b2

The series will return to Mount Panorama for the second time for the final round for a sprint event that will coincide with the Bathurst 12 Hour enduro from February 5-7.
Old 18 May 2020, 01:42 (Ref:3976848)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The problem is the competitors of the "old" 12 hour now race in the 6 hour, and local GT is a shambles. I think about all the "gentlemen" drivers that make up AGT competitors, and they will no doubt have huge financial losses and will no doubt the VERY busy trying to fix the issues in the businesses that allow them to go racing. I doubt very much whether many of these guys will be up for their regular jaunt.
Plenty of cars across AGT, Production Sports, Cup Car, APCC and Invitationals to make up a 25 - 30 car grid.

The lack of european and asian pro teams and drivers may actually be a motivator for local entrants. Eg. Quinns and AMAK actually stopped racing at the 12 Hour due to the more Pro / crash and bash nature of where the event headed.

Without understanding each car owners businesses practices, I wouldn't look to assume anyones "HUGE financial losses".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Who is going to go to massive financial risk to run a race for maybe 10 cars, especially at a time when its very shaky whether fans will turn up, how densely they can be accomodated... How they can even travel.
You would attract more than 10 cars. As discussed multiple times, no one is suggesting transferring the AGT grid to the Bathurst 12 Hour.
Old 18 May 2020, 02:37 (Ref:3976853)   #22
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Plenty of cars across AGT, Production Sports, Cup Car, APCC and Invitationals to make up a 25 - 30 car grid.

The lack of european and asian pro teams and drivers may actually be a motivator for local entrants. Eg. Quinns and AMAK actually stopped racing at the 12 Hour due to the more Pro / crash and bash nature of where the event headed.

Without understanding each car owners businesses practices, I wouldn't look to assume anyones "HUGE financial losses".

You would attract more than 10 cars. As discussed multiple times, no one is suggesting transferring the AGT grid to the Bathurst 12 Hour.
Everyone says the 1000k is shite with low numbers, and you are advocating 12 hours with only a couple more.
Old 18 May 2020, 03:54 (Ref:3976857)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Everyone says the 1000k is shite with low numbers, and you are advocating 12 hours with only a couple more.
Slightly different context, people critique the 1000 based on its self described "greatest series in the world" and teams running on $10 million budgets.

What we are advocating for the 12 hour, is to ensure that a race can be run in 2021.

2011 ran with 26 cars, 2012 with 27 and look what it has grown into.
Old 18 May 2020, 04:39 (Ref:3976860)   #24
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are we allowed to talk about the 12 Hour here in this forum now?

The 12 Hour wont happen in 2022. OS teams cant possibly be expected to organise a campaign on the hope that International travel will recommence (which is unlikely). And the GT3 scene here is cooked, and without MPC it'd be completely dead. Making a field up with Invitational categories would give the winner the greatest asterix next to their win in motorsport history.
Old 19 May 2020, 04:21 (Ref:3977065)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Are we allowed to talk about the 12 Hour here in this forum now?

The 12 Hour wont happen in 2022. OS teams cant possibly be expected to organise a campaign on the hope that International travel will recommence (which is unlikely). And the GT3 scene here is cooked, and without MPC it'd be completely dead. Making a field up with Invitational categories would give the winner the greatest asterix next to their win in motorsport history.
Why is that? Invitational cars have been in the rule book since 2011 yeah?

GT3 cars, owners and teams go way beyond AGT dont they?

Thinking of teams/owners with AGT machinery currently in the country and that are somewhat active include:
- Erebus x 2, 888/STM x 2, MPC x 2 / 4 (incl Bates, Cini cars), Eggleston x 1, Quinn x 1, 59 Racing x 1, AMAK x 1, Koundouris x 1, Richard Gartner x 1, Trofeo Motorsport x 1, Grove x 1, Hobson x 1, Kenny Habul x 1, Twigg x 1, Griffiths x 1

A local entry could see the increase in GT4 cars that live locally coming out to race as well.

MARC cars x 4 to 6?