Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 May 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3976352)   #76
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
For the marshals on here, have the circuits/organisers said anything yet about provisions to keep you guys safe?
No (although I do know that various people are evaluating ideas as to how things might work).
Old 15 May 2020, 12:07 (Ref:3976385)   #77
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.autosport.com/national/n...en-for-testing

testing is now officially a thing again
Old 15 May 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3976394)   #78
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
https://www.autosport.com/national/n...en-for-testing

testing is now officially a thing again
Next week for exclusive testing and the following week for general testing and track days:

http://news.brandshatch.co.uk/covid-...nt-update.aspx
Old 15 May 2020, 14:18 (Ref:3976417)   #79
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So with the British gp, btcc and British gts all racing on the same weekend I wonder if that could affect marshal levels at the events
Old 15 May 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3976418)   #80
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will most of the BTCC/BGT senior officials be at Silverstone on 1/2 August?
Old 15 May 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3976419)   #81
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Will most of the BTCC/BGT senior officials be at Silverstone on 1/2 August?
Should have F1, BTCC and BGT all at Silverstone on the same weekends.
Old 15 May 2020, 14:22 (Ref:3976420)   #82
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
BTCC and British GT won't pay F1 for the rights to appear on the package. Those days ended in the 1990's.
Old 15 May 2020, 14:24 (Ref:3976421)   #83
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What sense would there be to do that especially if it’s behind closed doors
Old 15 May 2020, 14:34 (Ref:3976427)   #84
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
What sense would there be to do that especially if it’s behind closed doors
Er, to get all the marshals, medical and operating staff in one place, rather than three.
Old 15 May 2020, 14:52 (Ref:3976430)   #85
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
BTCC and British GT won't pay F1 for the rights to appear on the package. Those days ended in the 1990's.
But circumstances have changed massively. And if there are not enough marshals, officials and medical staff to go round for 3 major championship meetings in the same weekend, at 3 different venues, some sacred cows cows have to sacrificed, or one or other event may be in danger of not happening.

It’s time for co-operation and collaboration in the best interests of the whole sport.
Old 15 May 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3976441)   #86
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s a nice idea, but I feel they would be hard pressed to make it happen. Especially with F1 having F2 and F3 already on it’s support package and having plenty of other races round the world to consider
Old 15 May 2020, 15:57 (Ref:3976456)   #87
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
But circumstances have changed massively. And if there are not enough marshals, officials and medical staff to go round for 3 major championship meetings in the same weekend, at 3 different venues, some sacred cows cows have to sacrificed, or one or other event may be in danger of not happening.

It’s time for co-operation and collaboration in the best interests of the whole sport.
F1 only cares about F1, everything else is in its eyes inferior.
Old 15 May 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3976458)   #88
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
F1 only cares about F1, everything else is in its eyes inferior.
That might possibly be the case, however, I suspect that the likes of the BTCC might see racing at 7.30am on the Saturday morning of a GP weekend as being 'beneath' them.
Old 15 May 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3976470)   #89
mark_l
Veteran

England
I can't see many marshals who are employed full time, being able to get 2 Fridays off from work in following weekends to attend the GP's, especially if they have just come off furlough and work is busy.

I think BGT and BTCC on 1/2 August are dead in the water as events, during normal times very little motorsport takes place the weekend of the BGP.
Old 15 May 2020, 18:36 (Ref:3976497)   #90
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The meetings will be behind closed doors. So whilst a lot of staff will be temps at the BGP events perhaps as they won’t be needed for public use they will end up paying these staff to be marshals..
Old 16 May 2020, 07:59 (Ref:3976546)   #91
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many marshals are needed for the big events vs normal club events?
Old 16 May 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3976548)   #92
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
The meetings will be behind closed doors. So whilst a lot of staff will be temps at the BGP events perhaps as they won’t be needed for public use they will end up paying these staff to be marshals..
You can't just take a bunch of programme sellers and expect them to act as marshals.
Old 16 May 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3976571)   #93
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't think many drivers would want programme sellers or parking attendants to come to their rescue if they needed their assistance too unless they completed all the training, that is.

makes me wonder if they encourage race makers to consider marshalling at silverstone?
Old 16 May 2020, 11:09 (Ref:3976573)   #94
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't think many drivers would want programme sellers or parking attendants to come to their rescue if they needed their assistance too unless they completed all the training, that is.

makes me wonder if they encourage race makers to consider marshalling at silverstone?
There are a few people I know of who are both racemakers and marshals, but not many, and most of them are marshals first.

The pink shirt brigade see the same stuff about marshalling as everyone else and I understand some have attended taster days (not just at Silverstone) but I'm yet to meet anyone who's made the jump. That's not saying there aren't any, I just don't know of any!

Your first observation is obviously the right one
Old 16 May 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3976596)   #95
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one would be happy to help out.
When I stopped racing I went through the marshalling grades and onto being a Driving Standards Observer (BGP 1999) Clerk & then a Steward.
I know I'm not the only one in this position.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 16 May 2020 at 14:34.
Old 16 May 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3976600)   #96
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
motorsport uk could do with running a "left marshalling and want to return?" campaign couldn't they?

didn't think it was going to be too big a problem initially but now they've scheduled the british gps it looks like someone's going to come up short somewhere. hmm.
Old 16 May 2020, 15:11 (Ref:3976603)   #97
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
There are a few people I know of who are both racemakers and marshals, but not many, and most of them are marshals first.

The pink shirt brigade see the same stuff about marshalling as everyone else and I understand some have attended taster days (not just at Silverstone) but I'm yet to meet anyone who's made the jump. That's not saying there aren't any, I just don't know of any!

Your first observation is obviously the right one
Serious question to experienced Marshals; There have been drivers who have marshalled alongside experienced crews in order to either gain knowledge and experience of the work that Marshals do, or in some cases to gain a licence signature in order to help get them an upgrade.

In the case of the 1/2 August weekend where it's clearly going to be tough to get the right balance of quality and quantity, would the Marshals WANT support from drivers who are not racing at present on these events if it helped out? If so, would there be mileage in going via Motorsport UK to appeal to drivers to support Marshals at these (and other) events?
Old 16 May 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3976618)   #98
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post
Serious question to experienced Marshals; There have been drivers who have marshalled alongside experienced crews in order to either gain knowledge and experience of the work that Marshals do, or in some cases to gain a licence signature in order to help get them an upgrade.

In the case of the 1/2 August weekend where it's clearly going to be tough to get the right balance of quality and quantity, would the Marshals WANT support from drivers who are not racing at present on these events if it helped out? If so, would there be mileage in going via Motorsport UK to appeal to drivers to support Marshals at these (and other) events?
Nice to have the offer but until such time as we know when events are confirmed as running (not provisional wishlist), how they are going to be run (as approved by Government, Motorsport UK, Clubs and Circuits), what sort of numbers of marshals are needed and how many marshals volunteer then no one has any idea as to what, if any, shortfall there might be in marshal numbers.
Old 16 May 2020, 18:18 (Ref:3976622)   #99
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Forgive me here, but Marshalls are an army of trained unpaid professionals. The average employee on a circuits payroll won't have the necessary skills to perform the task; it's not just waving flags at random and brushing gravel off the track!
Old 16 May 2020, 18:51 (Ref:3976627)   #100
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
[IRONY] Surely with no burgers to flip the kitchen staff could flag? [/IRONY]