2 0 0%
1 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Jul 2020, 12:57 (Ref:3990177)   #26
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You must be made of stern stuff. F1 has been my soporific of choice for quite a few years now....

It's simpler than that. I just haven't watched most of the modern F1 races at all.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3990698)   #27
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
It was OK - quite entertaining watching the various different strategies being worked out, although apparently often "on the fly". Generally clean driving whilst still being competitive. Can't blame Mercedes for having built a better machine than anyone else......

But you can blame them for rejecting the reverse grid idea, which might have made the races more interesting and give a different result once in a while.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3990720)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You can’t really blame them for not wanting reverse grid, they had most to lose by it. What we need is less silly rules like the on Haas got
Old 25 Jul 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3990725)   #29
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With an audience so desperate for sports and every sport experimenting with format changes, my personal opinion is run the season like a test lab.

Loved back to back races at the same venue, cant wait to see it applied to silverstone, and very excited to see a 2 day event at Imola.

Are reverse grids too far? Maybe...

but for sure the sports landscape is changing right now and imo the old formulas may not survive.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 10:35 (Ref:3990824)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m sorry, but we are still running a world championship here. Therefore we should not be running it as an experiment and muck around with the format. We run it the same as any other season. Also we need to remember F1 is still a sport and also the pinnacle of motorsport, therefore we shouldn’t be introducing things that penalise success like other motorsports
Old 26 Jul 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3990838)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’m sorry, but we are still running a world championship here. Therefore we should not be running it as an experiment and muck around with the format. We run it the same as any other season.
But which season would be the one that we should always follow for format?

There have been many changes to the format over the years, so why not try something?

Then, it's easier to justify not continuing.
When the current 3-session qualifying was introduced, many were against its introduction.
When they tried the new format in 2016, many wanted it abolished straight away and back to the current format. We only got to see that because of experimenting.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3990844)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I’m sorry, but we are still running a world championship here. Therefore we should not be running it as an experiment and muck around with the format. We run it the same as any other season. Also we need to remember F1 is still a sport and also the pinnacle of motorsport, therefore we shouldn’t be introducing things that penalise success like other motorsports
The format for this season has already changed, with the introduction of back to back races in Austria and two more back to back races at Silverstone, starting next weekend. Imola will be a two day event, rather than the usual three because of the distance and time needed to travel from Portimao.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3990846)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed, by its very nature this is a sport that already changes a lot.

And speaking of quali...the fixed sets of tires and teams trying to save a set of the softs seems to have made q2 more interesting.

Not giving the teams a choice on compounds is perhaps an idea worth keeping?

But if they keep the idea for too long, teams will just work out the optimal thing to do and then back to a very predictable pattern.

that no one knows how many races their will actually be held is such an interesting variable so for me its already unlike any other season previously ran.

Obviously there are things happening here that cannot be replicated but for me there is a newness/freshness which not only do I appreciate but also which i find necessary in these strange times.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:22 (Ref:3990849)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

Of course we should try new things, but only if it is worth trying. We shouldn’t experiment for the sake of it. Look at the double points final and that elimination quali we had for the beginning of 2016. Martin Brundle described them both as an answer to a question no asked and I have to agree. We have had to improvise a bit, through circumstances, but as far as I’m concerned it’s the same as any other season, still the best over the course of the season should be on top.

Ross Brawn once suggested non championship races could be used to experiment new ideas and that’s probably better, although that was from a few years ago
Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3990851)   #35
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Just to add...

Its like we are about to witness the start of an avant garde era of sports. Not just F1 but across the sporting world.

Of course sports will need to go back to the traditional with live spectators but in terms of format, structure, and message sports may not be able to go backwards as audiences crave something new to distract from our new collective state.

Perhaps a bit to philosophical for a sunday morning but like art, in order to remain relevant, sports may need to elvole in order to better reflect the changing society it hopes to capitalize on.

Mike Tyson fighting Roy Jones jr (2 men in their 50s) may be the ultimate expression of this as advancing age will be put to the test in almost direct defiance of what covid has exposed about age.

Or it might be the height of absurdity?

Without pushing the boundaries of normal how else would we know?

How do you know what is worth trying until you try it?

Last edited by chillibowl; 26 Jul 2020 at 13:41.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3990868)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

How do we know what is worth trying unless we try it? By that logic we would have seen every rule suggested under no matter how ludicrous and would have made F1 an even bigger laughing stock
Old 26 Jul 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3990869)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Of course we should try new things, but only if it is worth trying.
How do you determine if something is worth trying?

At what point was it worth trying a 3-stage elimination for qualifying?
Old 26 Jul 2020, 14:43 (Ref:3990871)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Exactly. I'd still happily go back to a free hour looking for the fastest time.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3990881)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Exactly. I'd still happily go back to a free hour looking for the fastest time.
Right...perhaps some of the changes should involve the return of past formats?

Quote:
How do we know what is worth trying unless we try it? By that logic we would have seen every rule suggested under no matter how ludicrous and would have made F1 an even bigger laughing stock
Stagnation is the greater fear imo.

Obviously im not suggesting they chug a beer during every pitstop...we are just talking about ideas that have a history of being suggested and/or have been tried by other series in order to see how it fits...and only so during a time of great change.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3990882)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

Easy. It’s not a ludicrous rule that devalues the sport and/or doomed to fail. Now that’s my opinion ok?
Old 26 Jul 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3990885)   #41
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Easy. It’s not a ludicrous rule that devalues the sport and/or doomed to fail. Now that’s my opinion ok?
Fair enough...to each their own.

Some may say the extent to which RP copied the Merc devalues the sport but on the other hand it has provided 2 additional cars that can challange for podiums.

Which is preferable? Maintaining the status quo or disruption?

To each their own!
Old 26 Jul 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3990891)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
That's fine.

My opinion is that reverse grids aren't ludicrous or devaluing. I also don't see how it is doomed to fail.

So the time is right to try it.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 23:43 (Ref:3990942)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

Well you are watching the wrong sport if you want reverse grids, this is F1 the pinnacle of motorsport, where the drivers and teams who do the best job are rewarded. It’ll never happen thankfully. This is a sport, not some pure entertainment business.

If it’s introduced it will make a mockery of the sport. If you want some contrived entertainment, go watch WWE. At least people don’t take that too seriously
Old 27 Jul 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3990955)   #44
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Well you are watching the wrong sport if you want reverse grids, this is F1 the pinnacle of motorsport, where the drivers and teams who do the best job are rewarded. It’ll never happen thankfully. This is a sport, not some pure entertainment business.

If it’s introduced it will make a mockery of the sport. If you want some contrived entertainment, go watch WWE. At least people don’t take that too seriously
F1 has been about contrived entertainment for a long time now.

Reverse grids can still see reward for those who perform the best.

Every prize given on a Sunday is about who performed the best under the contrived situation that is the regulations of the time.
At the moment, a lot of the contrived situations are focused on the tyres. Whether that is having to use two different tyre compounds, start the race on Q2 tyres (but only part of the grid), have tyres that are not resilient....

The driver that qualifies 10th has no choice of starting tyre, but the driver 11th does. Is that rewarding the better performance? Or is it contrived entertainment?

DRS - reward the driver who has earned track position, or produce overtaking for contrived entertainment?

Everyone looks for something different in F1, and nearly everyone would prefer F1 to be different in some way to how it currently is. Just because someone else's view on what F1 should be or is differs from yours, doesn't make that wrong.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:42 (Ref:3990976)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If anything deserves the 'contrived' description, it really does have to be DRS.....
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3990979)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I think this season would have been the best chance to try something different - although I expect it's just wishful thinking.

The back-to-back weekends at the same track seems like an ideal opportunity.

Hold the first weekend along the same format as we currently have, but mix it up for the second?

Why not do away with the Saturday Qualifying on Week 2, and have a 45-min race for drivers who are not in this year's championship? It would be a chance for reserve/test/junior drivers to show their potential, and the Sunday race could be started with the reverse placings from the previous week. It would definitely change things up, and give something different......
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3991033)   #47
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
I think this season would have been the best chance to try something different - although I expect it's just wishful thinking.

The back-to-back weekends at the same track seems like an ideal opportunity...
Exactly this for me as it seems a shame to not fully exploit this unique scenario.

1st race of the back to back is the control and the 2nd is the one with the variable.
Quote:
If anything deserves the 'contrived' description, it really does have to be DRS.....
If they used one of the back to backs and ran it without DRS i think we might all see just how much DRS actually improves the show.

Or vice versa, lets see a race where the driver can use it at their own discretion (with an automatic close once the break is applied - for safety).
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:59 (Ref:3991042)   #48
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Or vice versa, lets see a race where the driver can use it at their own discretion (with an automatic close once the break is applied - for safety).
Which has reminded me of another 'contrived' measure in F1 - the KERS driver aid.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 14:08 (Ref:3991046)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The driver that qualifies 10th has no choice of starting tyre, but the driver 11th does.
Why?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3991051)   #50
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

[emphasis mine]

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

F1 isn't really a sport. It's a massive hospitality, engineering, entertainment and media business with a tiny side-dish of racing. Bernie, love him or loathe him, knew which buttons to press on whom and when to extract maximum value from his empire - not just for him, but for the thousands of people inside the pyramid who could milk their little corner too.

Like most big-ticket sports, F1 has a rabid - but dwindling - fan base who simultaneously demand change as well as stasis. "Can't do that, that's not F1" is usually heard alongside "F1 is too stale, it needs to change" from the very same person. I know I've fallen into that trap in the past.

To coin an appalling political soundbite: F1 is F1. Reverse grids, DRS, cheesy tyres, changes in qualifying, hybrid engines, the DFV, stressed member chassis, ground effect, wings, swapping cars mid race, fires, deaths - they've all been a part of F1 or suggested as a part over the years (with the exception of reverse grids) and some still are, but whatever path it takes it'll always be F1.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.