Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Nov 2003, 07:12 (Ref:776637)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Common sense prevails...

Good move to declare the shootout null and void due to the changing weather conditions. For a while there, it looked dubiously indecisive.

But why did they let it keep going at all? :confused:

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 8 Nov 2003, 07:19 (Ref:776643)   #2
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
One for TV, but for two it would be unfair to the teams that had already run to stop it. It should not have happened in the first place, it is a TV product.But as NC
said the top10 shootout standings do stand, so they had a meeting and CH10 said our bot is on pole and were in NZ so lets go back to the Quaily times. It is a rating boost then and Aussie Bernie
can get on camera an dribble **** on how popular the v8 supertaxi are in going International, so look out CHINA.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 8 Nov 2003, 07:30 (Ref:776649)   #3
Mattracer
Veteran

I agree, it is a TV product and really the only place in the series for it is Bathurst because of tradition and because it is a true test for the drivers due to the nature and prestige of the race and the circuit itself.

Old 8 Nov 2003, 07:41 (Ref:776650)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's time to get rid of the shootout altogether. They show about 1/2hr of that and nothing about the rest of the racing. It seems a bit like watching paint dry in my opinion.
As for the decision, wasn't it only about 8 cars too late.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 08:14 (Ref:776669)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, the shootout should be done away with.

Why was it common sense the cancel the times from the Top 10? Bad luck to the last guys onto the circuit, haven't some been calling for spiced up grids?

Was the qualifying at Suzuka for Formula 1 cancelled when it started raining, forcing the quickest drivers like both Schumachers and Jarno Trulli down the back of the field?
Old 8 Nov 2003, 08:20 (Ref:776671)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No but Supercar is more important that F1
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 8 Nov 2003, 08:31 (Ref:776676)   #7
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tocaheeee GTR.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 8 Nov 2003, 09:10 (Ref:776693)   #8
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was dumb to not use the top ten times..... If it rained on your lap, bad luck!!!
Old 8 Nov 2003, 09:41 (Ref:776716)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Todd Kelly has a good reason to complain, if you decide to have a top ten you hold it regardless of the conditions & if it favours certain competitors than too bad.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 10:38 (Ref:776754)   #10
pete55
Veteran

Return to plan A, get rid of the shootout altogether. Then nobody is disadvantaged.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 10:44 (Ref:776757)   #11
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe5619

I think it was dumb to not use the top ten times..... If it rained on your lap, bad luck!!!
Ditto
Old 8 Nov 2003, 10:55 (Ref:776762)   #12
pete55
Veteran

For f...s sake, you may as well go for a lotto for grid positions if that's the way you think. Everybody deserves the same chance to record a time. Otherwise scrap the bloody crappy shootouts. It wouldn't worry me if they got rid of them.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 11:01 (Ref:776768)   #13
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
I agree, the shootout should be done away with.

Why was it common sense the cancel the times from the Top 10? Bad luck to the last guys onto the circuit, haven't some been calling for spiced up grids?

Was the qualifying at Suzuka for Formula 1 cancelled when it started raining, forcing the quickest drivers like both Schumachers and Jarno Trulli down the back of the field?
But there is one big difference, when the top 10/15 (depending on circuit) was first introducted to V8supercars the rule was put in that if some competitors were disadvantaged by the weather then the times would revert back to qualifying times, when F1 took the idea from the v8's (which was an extention to what ADRC introducted at Bathurst) no rule was put in place with regards to changes in the weather that is going to affect only some of the field.
If you get a copy of previews that Bill Woods and Neil Crompton did on F1 prior to the season you will see the NC did mention that F1 did not have the proviso in that v8's have had since it was introducted to all rounds
Old 8 Nov 2003, 13:33 (Ref:776887)   #14
HRT #1
Racer

HRT #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
For f...s sake, you may as well go for a lotto for grid positions if that's the way you think. Everybody deserves the same chance to record a time. Otherwise scrap the bloody crappy shootouts. It wouldn't worry me if they got rid of them.
Funny you should mention lotto grids pete55 cause Procar uses a chook lotto draw for their V8 Brute grids and I never hear you whine about them.

The shootouts are a damn sight better than when they had the Pre-Qualifying which replaced the shootouts 2 years ago.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 14:10 (Ref:776902)   #15
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the shootouts, puts some extra pressure on the guys up front for a change

But I agree that if the weather changes mid shootout it should be stopped, or the times cancelled as it was. If it's wet the whole way through I don't care, same for everyone, but when it's intermittent rain is pretty unfair.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 16:56 (Ref:777002)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only unfair bit is that the guy who had the fastest time in the shootout (Kelly), doesn't even get the prizemoney.

Sure the shootout puts pressure on the top drivers, but so does regular qualifying, trying to finad a clear lap. The chook lotto puts the pressure on the top qualifiers in the brutes..........

HRT #1 - the shootouts were only introduced to every round 2 years ago (2001), we had pre-qualifying as far back as 1998.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 18:21 (Ref:777064)   #17
HRT #1
Racer

HRT #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racer69 Thanks for the correction my typo mistake.

I have to agree that it was unfair as Toddler lost his pole position and the pole prize money, but it could be also debated that whilst the top 5 drivers were all within half a second of each other the bottom 5 drivers were all 1 second slower than that of the top 5 drivers. it was a tough call but no-one can predict what the weather is going to be like.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 20:30 (Ref:777158)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

The whole purpose to me is to have as equal set of conditions as is possible for each driver to record a time. If the conditions change, then there is nothing you can do to make up over 1 second if the circuit is wet. In that regard, it is unfair to the following drivers. If the same circumstance happened during a traditional qualifying session, then the times should stand as that really is the luck of the draw. Shootouts (silly name too) are only for the TV audience and are a made-up situation. Can you imagine the reaction had Ambrose dmaged his car badly enough to withdraw from the meeting, opening the door to Murphy, Skaife and Ingall?

Old 8 Nov 2003, 20:56 (Ref:777180)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by HRT #1
Funny you should mention lotto grids pete55 cause Procar uses a chook lotto draw for their V8 Brute grids and I never hear you whine about them.
Well you know the only reason they do that dont you

Relying on the statistical law of averages so everyone gets a turn midfield to write their ute off in some multi-car accident.

Someone will get hurt one day
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 8 Nov 2003, 21:06 (Ref:777189)   #20
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is just one of the things you have to put up with as a fan, driver, team etc in the circus. The show must go on, and it makes for good TV when you think about it. The viewers are hardly gonna turn the tele off are they.We're all on the edge of our seats, hoping our fav driver will make it thru without bending their car, and ranting at the stupidity of the decision to continue to run the shootout BUT, we're still watching.

Last edited by Alan Jones; 8 Nov 2003 at 21:07.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 21:25 (Ref:777197)   #21
Mattracer
Veteran

Guilty as charged, sir!

Old 8 Nov 2003, 21:28 (Ref:777199)   #22
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Well you know the only reason they do that dont you

Relying on the statistical law of averages so everyone gets a turn midfield to write their ute off in some multi-car accident.

Someone will get hurt one day

Could it be that a lot of the crowd indentify with that as it is part of the furniture down at the local every other night of the week. They've got that whole market totally sussed and good luck to them.

Last edited by Mattracer; 8 Nov 2003 at 21:28.

Old 9 Nov 2003, 04:32 (Ref:777345)   #23
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we maybe go back to the old Peter Jackson draw?
Old 9 Nov 2003, 05:00 (Ref:777361)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Yep, and the Peter Jackson babes
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Nov 2003, 05:17 (Ref:777370)   #25
pete55
Veteran

You might be watching Alan Jones, but not this little black duck. I've found more important things to do.