Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Aug 2003, 23:31 (Ref:685699)   #1
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic F1 racing

Last night Speed Channel showed the 1993 Spanish GP in it's F1 Decade program. For once the feed wasn't blocked in Canada and I saw the whole race ! All the other races were blocked out

It was great to see some of the old cars and drivers again..

Old 11 Aug 2003, 23:34 (Ref:685702)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, the Canadians couldn't receive the F1 Decade programs; it was licensed exclusively to the U.S., but all the legal matters were settled, and now Canadian subscribers now can see these great old cars in all their glory. It's great stuff.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:11 (Ref:685773)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arghh! I forgot to watch!

Though they'll probably show a marathon during the winter for the Canadian audience's benefit.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:38 (Ref:686427)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Arghh! I forgot to watch!

ME TOO!!!!!!!

Old 12 Aug 2003, 20:09 (Ref:686571)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You missed Mike Andretti's one good moment in F1. 5th place.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 20:54 (Ref:686607)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
While there have been some cool battles in the ones I watched, including Spain, having 25 cars on the grid is the most significant difference I see between then and now. Of course slicks/turbos are definitely a big change, but I think a crowded track altered our perception of the "good old days" making it seem like there was a lot of passing. There was, but not for position! And I must admit I was thrilled to remember my pride in Michael's finish that day - I truly felt that he had shown the worth of an American driver. How brief THAT feeling turned out to be!

Now this is not to say I am not enjoying the overtaking or the relative performances, but to be honest, in most of the races the top 5 - 7 cars have been in a parade so long as there has been no rain. Maybe what we all really miss (aside from slicks/turbos) is traffic. Once the Minardis break and lop off a Jordan, Jaguar, Sauber or two you have 14 cars circulating on a 2.6 mile track or whatever. Heck, they get so spread out that they would be better served to email each other rather than try to get the next guy ahead in view!

Come to think about it, maybe that is what all those buttons on the steering wheels are for!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 22:17 (Ref:686689)   #7
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I don't fault Andretti for a poor showing that year. I fault him for giving up and going home the next.

Last edited by Neil C; 12 Aug 2003 at 22:19.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 22:49 (Ref:686720)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't he nail a third at Monza before he went home? I'm with you Neil, i think he shoulda stuck it out.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 08:50 (Ref:686913)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, he did. I've always thought Michael's problems stemmed from him trying to do it all from the states and travelling to each GP - not a sign of complete commitment. It was a shame really, he wasn't a bad driver at all.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 10:25 (Ref:686975)   #10
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes that seemed to be the view, at least from the eurpoean press, that by not moving to Europe, that Michael, at least symobolically, showed that he was not 100% committed to F1. A shame really as it was always going to be tough being Senna's teammate - he did not do that badly in qualifying against him and showed some real talent in achieving 3rd place at Monza as I recall him passing quite a few cars during the race.

Mario Andretti does not agree that not moving to Eurpope was Michael's main problem - rather that Ron Dennis had employed Mika Hakkinen and was desparate to see him race and gave him much more testing than Michael.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:22 (Ref:687008)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Correct me if I am wrong, but Michael did not finish the season, did he? I thought he was replaced with 2 -3 races remaining.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 13:27 (Ref:687134)   #12
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your Right
Finally in Canada !!!
Enjoyed that.
Some Good racing
Old 13 Aug 2003, 13:45 (Ref:687145)   #13
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched a couple races on the Speed Channel

I got a kick out of watching how things have come along in the last 20 years.
From pit crews dressed in short shorts, unbuttoned shirts, dress shoes and white socks, shirtless. Fans standing so close to the track after a high speed turn.
The technology back then.

Love watching some of the old races
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:50 (Ref:687344)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Mika's first race was Estoril, where I may be mistaken, but I think he out-qualified Senna.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 18:09 (Ref:687359)   #15
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best part was the Lotuses nervous breakdown in the pits.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 02:54 (Ref:687770)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I caught a bit of that race while I was working.

Even though the Williams was taking no prisoners Hill and Prost still had a bit of a battle which made it intersting. Passing did seem to happen with much more ease.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 07:55 (Ref:687854)   #17
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Mika's first race was Estoril, where I may be mistaken, but I think he out-qualified Senna.
yes - you are right. I guess this justified the sacking of Andretti!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:33 (Ref:688313)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't they show anything like this in the UK?! I'd love to see the old races!